FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Keybase.io

<<

ForSquirel

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:53 am

Keybase.io

Anyone else looked into Keybase.io. It uses a centralized manner for looking up PGP/GPG public keys through users on line handles. So if you want to send an encrypted message to a random twitter user you can look them up through keybase. There are command line clients(GPG Interface) to use as well. I've been playing with it a while after getting an invite a while back and its pretty interesting. They give you the option to store your private key on their servers but I think that just seems insane. Its all open source if you're into checking out code. Anyways. Give it a look.

If you're interested and need an invite let me know. As of right now I have 5 invites. It's still in alpha so it's still a little quirky.
<<

overWeight

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Keybase.io

Sadly, since the MIT PGP key database is no longer recommended for use, keybase.io may become the next recommeneded database for keys. It is scary that they let you store a private key with them. I am not sure why that is an option, as it makes them a high value target.
<<

ForSquirel

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Re: Keybase.io

yeah, it's supposed to be an encrypted storage of your private key but that's asking for a lot of trust, and even though not something I think their users want. Everything that I've seen posted about kinda condemns the whole key storage thing. The whole point about Alice sending a private message to Bob is that Eve never gets the private key.

I like the concept and idea of the website and the cli stuff is pretty simple and self explanatory making quick work of encrypting through GPG. I definitely think it's a step in the right direction to getting the average user to use encryption.

Return to HAL 3000 - Computer Geeks