FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help!!!

<<

usmcboltaction

Funny Guy/Bouncer

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Help!!!

Ok puter guys, I need some help here. I am running xp on a dell computer. When I start it up, it will run for a lil bit, then clicks to a blue screen. Below is a pic of the screen. If anyone has any good advice, lemme know.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

barbarian

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Re: Help!!!

I had something like this before. Not sure if it was "exactly" like this.

Mine was a bad memory stick. I took them out and scrubbed the contacts with a pencil eraser then re-seated them.
I had four sticks and the machine only needed two as I recall to boot up. I was able to narrow it down to the bad stick with a few tries..

Frikkin computers..
<<

usmcboltaction

Funny Guy/Bouncer

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:31 pm

Umm...I have never taken anything apart on a computer. I would want to know if that was exactly the problem before I started diggin in the thing. I was hoping someone new where to look up those codes and tell me what they meant in stupid guy words.
<<

bouncer965

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:50 pm

[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

barbarian

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:00 pm

That's a good link from bouncer965.

I think the short answer is,the thing causing it might not always be what the machine thinks is causing it.
It points to a driver when there is really a memory or heatsink problem.

The Blue Screen creates a log file and the local computer guy should be able to read it for you.

Not sure if your machine will still boot up or not.

Pulling memory out and replacing it is pretty simple really if you wanted to try. There are numerous guides online..

Frikkin computers...
<<

bouncer965

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:04 pm

Ive been reading through the thread i posted and it could be something really simple........but the fact of narrowing it down is the main problem. Start with the simple stuff first ....sorry cant help more im not really a techie.

<<

loki

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:13 pm

To the OP:

When you say the computer starts, does Windows load, do you get to the desktop ?

If yes, then reboot into safe mode and see what happens after a few minutes.

Let us know either way.
<<

usmcboltaction

Funny Guy/Bouncer

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:16 pm

loki wrote:To the OP:

When you say the computer starts, does Windows load, do you get to the desktop ?

If yes, then reboot into safe mode and see what happens after a few minutes.

Let us know either way.

I do get to the desktop. If I start it in safemode, it seems to last longer, but will go to the blue screen within a couple of minutes.
<<

loki

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:39 pm

O.K.

As I am not in front of your machine, I am limited in what I can do. Since it boots, it most likely means the HD is OK ( at least not immediately at fault). That is good.
Assuming no other apps are started after the desktop loads, and the machine is not accessing the NIC, the issue MAY be failing memory or power supply.

Have you added any software,including updates or any hardware shortly before the problems started ? If yes, then the try rolling back the upgrade or install.
If no, time to take the machine to a shop your comfortable with. Have them take a look. Usually these things are not TOO expensive to fix.
These kind of issues can take a bit of time and probing to figure out. Don't dispair though.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:11 pm

loki wrote:O.K.

As I am not in front of your machine, I am limited in what I can do. Since it boots, it most likely means the HD is OK ( at least not immediately at fault). That is good.
Assuming no other apps are started after the desktop loads, and the machine is not accessing the NIC, the issue MAY be failing memory or power supply.

Have you added any software,including updates or any hardware shortly before the problems started ? If yes, then the try rolling back the upgrade or install.
If no, time to take the machine to a shop your comfortable with. Have them take a look. Usually these things are not TOO expensive to fix.
These kind of issues can take a bit of time and probing to figure out. Don't dispair though.

Pretty much what he said, it sounds like RAM or PSU, but unfortunately, it could be the CPU, the MLB, or some other component sending noise down the system bus and crashing the driver. What I would personally do is start pulling unnecessary for running items, like the NIC, and all the RAM but one "stick", any extra drives, etc... Also, if taking out all the RAM but one "stick" does seem to correct it swap them through one at a time to isolate. there really is no magic bullet here, just isolation of the issue. It also would be useful if you had another computer that you could temporarily cannibalize parts from to test in this machine.

Also, I know this will sound a little crazy, but try the machine on a different outlet in your home, one which is on a different breaker circuit. If that fixes it, unplug all other items from that circuit and try it again. If it now works, plug items back in one at a time until it fails again and you've found the problem item, otherwise you may need to call in an electrician to find the source of the signal noise on the power circuit. However, a hardware problem is far more likely and if I were wagering, I'd bet it was the RAM.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

cowbite

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:37 pm

It could be overheating. Especially if it takes longer in Safe mode to blue screen.
*FIX*- You have to open it up (NOT a big deal) and make sure ALL fans are spinning and spinning at a reasonable speed. If not, replace fan (go to computer superplace or fix-it shop - cheap fix).
or, in super-neglected cases, so much dust that the fans can't move any air.

This error is almost always hardware related.
Most likely overheating CPU. Bad ram/mis-seated ram coming in second.

Drivers as well but that's a whole other thing. Bouncers link is a start.

Also, unplug any and all Usb devices or peripherals even if you've been using them for years. I've seen hardware that went bad cause that as well.

Open it up.

Cow
(MCSE)
MCSE: Security | CompTIA: Security
<<

usmcboltaction

Funny Guy/Bouncer

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Well, I opened it up and the fan doesnt seem to be working. It is dusty as hell too. I have lived in some bad environments the last few years, and never thought to clean it out. I guess I will wait til payday and try to fix the fan. Will go to the next step after that. Thanks guys.
<<

cowbite

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:44 pm

:)
MCSE: Security | CompTIA: Security
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 am

Well damn, if the fan ain't spinning that's not good, and is the most likely cause of all your woes. Funny thing is, I'd thought about mentioning overheating, but for some reason jsut didn't go there (doh!) Blow the fan out with compressed air and see if it will start again, if not you'll need a new cpu cooler. I assume it is the cpu fan you are saying wasn't spinning, or was it the videocard fan, or power supply fan? However, it should be noted that the damage may already be done, and a new fan assembly may not be able to salvage the situation.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

bouncer965

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:47 am

elbowmacaroni wrote:Well damn, if the fan ain't spinning that's not good, and is the most likely cause of all your woes. Funny thing is, I'd thought about mentioning overheating, but for some reason jsut didn't go there (doh!) Blow the fan out with compressed air and see if it will start again, if not you'll need a new cpu cooler. I assume it is the cpu fan you are saying wasn't spinning, or was it the videocard fan, or power supply fan? However, it should be noted that the damage may already be done, and a new fan assembly may not be able to salvage the situation.

A lot of people that suffered this changed the fan and it was fine afterwards.

Return to HAL 3000 - Computer Geeks