FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

antivirus help

<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:19 pm

antivirus help

so I just bought me a new laptop... went to HP.com utilized a ton of discounts and built a top of the line laptop for $2004 lol (got 30% off) but... in order to get the price down I ordered no software with it... (other than the OS)

so now I am utilizing military tools on a .mil network...
I am offered 2 antivirus software... and I dont know which one to choose...

so mu question is... If you could have free antivirus software which would you choose

McAfee or Symantic

I have used Norton before and McAfee... I have no idea which I liked better... so I ask you all

:)
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: antivirus help

I wouldnt use either one!!! Use avast home edition. It's free. All ya gotta do is go through a short registration process and they'll send you a key that is good for a year. After it expires just go back and request another key. IMO and many other, it's the best antivirus program around. Also, you should be using malwarebytes...it's also free, it's a great anti-spyware. Avast has a background scanner that uses very little system resources. Besides that you should outright run avast and run malwarebytes at least once a week. Oh and if you HAVE to use one of the ones you mentioned, I would just google each one...and see how much system resources each use....whichever uses less, that's what I'd use.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:33 pm

I'm with riff on this one mate, avast is top notch stuff.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:43 pm

thanks guys...
Ive never used avast but I will look into it.

and malwarebytes
<<

Foo

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:18 pm

As for other good free software I tend to rely on http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... ditors.htm

I don't spend that much time with windows away from work and so don't hear about the latest buzz. This site seems to be pretty good with its recommendations.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:23 pm

The AVG free edition is really good too. Stay away from avira, it nags like crazy...
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

lockinabox

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:28 pm

I would suggest you find some reviews or comparisons that actually test the software against thousands of viruses. That is actual evidence of how good the software actually is rather than personal opinions which have not actually been tested in a comprehensive way. I think Pcmag did a recent test or CNET.
I have a gift for you!
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:57 pm

I have been reading reviews and tests... and (antivirus1) vs (antivirus2) competetion style reviews... but its nice to hear what people like... for instance...
an test on how well it kills viruses wont tell me
Stay away from avira, it nags like crazy...

from the reviews Ive read avira seems really good... but if its annoying lol than thats not good.

I like malwarebytes because its a one time thing... most of these things require me to get a code every year or 3 years or whatever... am I gonna remember to do that... probably not... I wanna install it once and when it says "you have new updates" ill update it... simple easy... yay

I also like the microsoft one... security essentials... cause its free and automatic updates... but I hear its not as good at stopping viruses as some of the others... well ive got a month to pick the best one lol
<<

Foo

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:17 pm

piepie wrote:Systematic is the best you can get....

Heh, haven't seen that for at least a decade. I would hope they can still do antivirus right but I've lost faith in that brand for everything else.
<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:21 pm

i use charter security suite and i have never gotten a virus

btw i love it
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:50 pm

lockinabox wrote:I would suggest you find some reviews or comparisons that actually test the software against thousands of viruses. That is actual evidence of how good the software actually is rather than personal opinions which have not actually been tested in a comprehensive way. I think Pcmag did a recent test or CNET.

I base my personal opinion when it comes to this on comprehensive test. I did all the research.

Besides that, I'm telling you locksmitharmy, Avast is the shit. I've tried them all.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Well, here's some more striaght dope then...

Symantec and McAfee will both do a decent job of protecting your computer from viruses, HOWEVER, they are both some of the worst resource hogs, and also are well known to be the bane of the existence of many a person who has to provide support to people use use these products. The one form CA seems to fall into this category as well from other friends I have in the industry, but I've not personally had to deal with it.

AVG is does a good job, I tend to recommend to my clients to get the paid version as they are businesses and that way they get support for the product. That said, the free version works fine and I use it on all my personal machines but it's not all that expensive for the paid version and if you want the non-virus malware protection you need the paid version. personally I use spybot S&D for non-virus malware protection, so I don't worry about getting the paid version of AVG. Malwarebytes I've heard very good things about from others who use it and are also IT guys as I am. This applies to both the free and paid versions. Avira if you get the paid version is sorta good, but the big issue with it is the high false positive rate, you really have to disable some of the more interesting features to not get alot of annoyances where it will tell you something you know for a fact is clean is actually a virus. And the free version is the most annoying thing on earth with endless nag screens all the time in addition to all the false positives.

I wouldn't trust a "review" from cnet or pcmag... perhaps that's just me...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

<<

barbarian

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:14 am

My $.02 worth..

I found Symantec to be resource hungry. And then I had troubles getting it off the system. I started with a new computer and just seconds to boot up. When I put the Symantec program on it was instantly changed to a few minutes to boot up.

I think the programs all protect from Viruses, in my experience they are rare. However I find popups, malware, and browser hijackers to be more common.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security. Doesn't slow down the system and seems to catch everything. Stops all the popups and hijackers too. Plus it's on the 30 day free trial forever. Every 30 days it takes three clicks and you are good to go..
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:13 pm

Ahh there's another one... Kapersky. I've heard decent things about that one from others I know in the industry as well.

<<

KJ4IPS

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:28 am

My School Just started using Sophos, while I can't say much for the resource use, because the monitoring SW already brings the system to it's knees. But the detection seems pretty good, it even uninstalled the monitoring SW,,, Until IT figured out how to add an exception (think 2 guys spread over three schools, with a total of 7 computer labs.).
Anyone know much about it?
besides the above, it apparently also comes in KLINGON!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.sophos.com/klingon-anti-virus/

KJ4IPS

EDIT: Fixed Typo
It is foolish to think that any puzzle born of human ingenuity cannot be unraveled by the same (Someone whose name I have forgotten)
Next

Return to HAL 3000 - Computer Geeks