FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Tried Windows 7?

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: Tried Windows 7?

Thanks for the feedback Mink! Glad you could stop by here at keypicking, I have seen you over at the other site!! Windows 7 is definantly what I am going to get my next time around, this freeze up crap with vista really pisses me off!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:48 am

Well, I'd suggest waiting until the first service pack comes out. That's what I'm doing it and I even have a copy that I got as a free upgrade due to when I bought my last desktop. It supports NTFS as well, so you shouldn't have to reformat.

Or maybe go to some flavor of linux, it;s good stuff if your at least decently technically oriented.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:22 pm

piepie wrote:Download windows x live on xp...looks like 7. Im running it

Interesting piepie, but I'm not looking to get something that looks like windows 7....I'm actually interested in if it's a better operating system or not.....pretty cool though.. :mrgreen:
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:25 pm

elbowmacaroni wrote:Well, I'd suggest waiting until the first service pack comes out. That's what I'm doing it and I even have a copy that I got as a free upgrade due to when I bought my last desktop. It supports NTFS as well, so you shouldn't have to reformat.

Or maybe go to some flavor of linux, it;s good stuff if your at least decently technically oriented.

From what I understand if you are going to upgrade you have to back up all kinds of crap. Sounds like a huge pain in the butt. I was kinda disapointed in that. Otherwise I would have already tried it by now. I think you have to reformat no matter what...Or maybe I read I would have to reformat because i'm wanting to go from 32bit xp to 64bit windows 7..Would be really interesting if you know a way around this. Thanks Elbowmacaroni :mrgreen:
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:41 pm

Well, I guess I should have added that personally, I would reformat as I prefer a clean install, however, you shouldn't need to. It is easier when it preserves all the settings etc... The way I do it, you'll spen a month getting everything "just right" and you'll also find that you forgot to back up a few things that you'd really really wanted. So there are upsides and downsides to both options.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:31 pm

<<

Electron

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:12 am

Black Screen of Death caused by malware:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/m ... lware.html
<<

PHatDriver

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:26 pm

My Packard Bell died just before crimbo and was about 3 years old, so thought I treat myself to a new high/ish spec model, so got a Pentium i5.
The new comp came with windows 7 home premium preinstall.

It is really the same ol’ story with Microsoft. Rush another new operating system out when the one before it hasn’t even had all the bugs fixed
but even I have to say, that W7 seems quite stable at the mo’ – to tell ya the truth, I’m quite surprised.
Still waiting for the first major problem to arise.

The only real headache I’ve come across, is outlook connector for office 2007.
The main default account works but the other four seem to do their own thing and only log in when they want.
Old 32bit programs seem to run fine too.

XP’ers who didn’t want to upgrade to vista, I’d say you could have a look a W7 now – but really, wots the point. XP is still sound!
I bought vista for my old PB comp and that now that seems stable enough. My advice for what it’s worth, is ya might as well stick with it now.

Windows 7 is nice but they’re really all the same damn thing.
<<

cowbite

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Windows 7 is way faster than Vista and is certainly an upgrade. I've been using it for over 6 months and love it. Ubuntu is an awesome OS but not for the casual user, imho, just uber geeks like me. :) The most compelling reason to switch to 64bit is access of memory over 2gb. I'm using windows 7 64 bit because i wanted 6 gigs of ram. I've had virtually no compatibility issues so far and 64 bit support has grown leaps and bounds. 2 years ago 64 bit was just stupid unless you were running a server but now it's a real viable option.

I suggest you get a copy :)

Cow
MCSE: Security | CompTIA: Security
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:41 am

cowbite wrote:Windows 7 is way faster than Vista and is certainly an upgrade. I've been using it for over 6 months and love it. Ubuntu is an awesome OS but not for the casual user, imho, just uber geeks like me. :) The most compelling reason to switch to 64bit is access of memory over 2gb. I'm using windows 7 64 bit because i wanted 6 gigs of ram. I've had virtually no compatibility issues so far and 64 bit support has grown leaps and bounds. 2 years ago 64 bit was just stupid unless you were running a server but now it's a real viable option.

I suggest you get a copy :)

Cow

I also wanted to get Windows 7 because you can use more ram..but if I go that route I'll have to pretty much completely upgrade my pc...My mobo will only take a certain amount..I dont remember how much. I figured it all out at one time. With my current system without upgrading I think I could squeeze one more gig of ram out of it without upgrading. I'll eventually get Windows 7 though. Thank you for the input dude.. :mrgreen:
<<

ChicoSlim803

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:12 am

hey riff have you ver heard of Sandra Soft. It is a utilty program that tells you where you could us an upgrade and things like that. There is a free a version and a pay for program.
<<

cowbite

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 am

Yeah, thats the thing. before I upgraded, I got new everything. I was financially in the position where I could do so, and got a new mobo, Core i7 920 quad core, the 6 gigs of ram, and a new vid card.
MCSE: Security | CompTIA: Security
Previous

Return to HAL 3000 - Computer Geeks