FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Tried Windows 7?

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:39 am

Tried Windows 7?

Just curious if anyone has tried windows 7 and if they like it or not. It's killing me not to try it but I want to try and wait until all of the wrinkles are ironed out. Vista proved to be for the most part a resource hog and the driver support gave many people problems. From what I've read all of these problems were fixed with the release of windows 7. One thing I dont like though is that right now I'm running XP 32 bit.....In order to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit I will have to reformat my drive and lose all of my stuff.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Re: Tried Windows 7?

Riff wrote:Just curious if anyone has tried windows 7 and if they like it or not. It's killing me not to try it but I want to try and wait until all of the wrinkles are ironed out. Vista proved to be for the most part a resource hog and the driver support gave many people problems. From what I've read all of these problems were fixed with the release of windows 7. One thing I dont like though is that right now I'm running XP 32 bit.....In order to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit I will have to reformat my drive and lose all of my stuff.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop but all the ones I've seen come with Vista - and a promise to give you a free upgrade once W7 comes out. I think I'll just wait until W7 has been put through its paces before buying.
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:39 pm

I bought my wife the Macbook pro and got her a OEM version of XP. I want nothing to do with Vista and I wont touch 7 untill it has been out for at least a year and even then we will see.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:49 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
Riff wrote:Just curious if anyone has tried windows 7 and if they like it or not. It's killing me not to try it but I want to try and wait until all of the wrinkles are ironed out. Vista proved to be for the most part a resource hog and the driver support gave many people problems. From what I've read all of these problems were fixed with the release of windows 7. One thing I dont like though is that right now I'm running XP 32 bit.....In order to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit I will have to reformat my drive and lose all of my stuff.

I'm looking to buy a new laptop but all the ones I've seen come with Vista - and a promise to give you a free upgrade once W7 comes out. I think I'll just wait until W7 has been put through its paces before buying.

Yea, my brother recently bought a laptop and they offered a free Windows 7 upgrade with it. He had to provide proof to toshiba about the offer. Hopefully he'll be getting his copy a couple weeks from now. I'll let him test it lol.
<<

GutterClown

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:55 pm

I've been running it for the past few months. No issues.

Also, if you'd have set up your harddrive partitions correctly when you first got the computer, you wouldn't have to lose all your stuff.
C: = 20-25GB.
D:(or second partition) = whatever is left

This allows you to store your games, movies, music etc, outside the main windows partition, and if something does happen you won't lose it.

Secondly, why do you want to go 64bit? Do you understand the underlying differences and changes? There's minimal reason right now, and for the next few years, to move to 64bit.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:23 pm

GutterClown wrote:I've been running it for the past few months. No issues.

Also, if you'd have set up your harddrive partitions correctly when you first got the computer, you wouldn't have to lose all your stuff.
C: = 20-25GB.
D:(or second partition) = whatever is left

This allows you to store your games, movies, music etc, outside the main windows partition, and if something does happen you won't lose it.

Secondly, why do you want to go 64bit? Do you understand the underlying differences and changes? There's minimal reason right now, and for the next few years, to move to 64bit.

You are saying that partition about 25GB for windows and the rest is for storage? but will you be able to access the storage part while you are in windows? Can you explain a bit how that works? And I'm wanting to go 64bit so I can use 4gb of ram instead of 2 like I'm using now. Thanks
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:45 pm

Windows Vista sucks ass, I hate it so much, it is the most worthless thing I have ever used, when 7 gets going strong, this laptop is going into the trash can, I have had this laptop for 2 years now and have had nothing but problems and I really want to blame it on Vista, I am no computer geek and know nothing about computers though, I have a Gateway T-series, with the Centrino Duo package. I don't know if it's good or bad.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:47 am

I don't care about Windows 7. I am probably going to try a Mac for my next computer and see how that is. I've never had one before, but I am starting to feel stupid for sticking with Windows for so long when there are so many constant problems.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:11 am

I have been looking at the Apple laptops for a few years now, they make the body's for them out of a hollowed out aluminum block, they are pretty durable, lightweight and thin, and they are very very expensive!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Echo_Phyber

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:55 pm

I've been using the Windows 7 Release Candidate for a few months and had no problems. I then went on to buy Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit(I'm a bit of a nerd and power user so I'll make use of the extra features and the 64-bit side) from a friend in the MSDN a week before Windows 7 came out. It has treated me well so far. I haven't had a chance to test the XP mode virtual machine though because my CPU is the Intel E5200 Pentium D dual core which doesn't support Virtualization. In the next few months I am considering going to a Core i7 and so I'll be able to test it then. I was one of those people who skipped right over Vista and upgraded from XP. At first I was skeptical of Windows 7 but once I tried it I fell in love. Even from XP it was an improvement. In my opinion I'd recommend Windows 7 to anyone.
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:55 pm

Try a Linux Ubuntu live cd. You wont go back to Windows !!!!!
<<

minktheshrink

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:23 pm

I get Windows 7 through my college for free and I like it to far. I have a Gateway T1628 running 3GB RAM and 2GHz processor.

I think dual partitioning is annoying. Thats what an external is for ;)

I have Ubuntu on a desktop at home and its nice if you understand what you're doing. I'm a CompSci major and I will be the first to admit I dont know everything but I know enough to use Ubuntu and if someone doesn't understand how a computer works then Ubuntu is not a good option.

Honestly I never had too many problems with Vista and the only ones I did have were it hosing up and slowing down. 7 is better about this and tries to keep everything running smoothly.

Only problem I have to report is that the hibernate function did not work correctly right before Windows 7 actually came out on the market to purchase. I've received an update since then but I havent tried. Basically it would hibernate but every single time when you went to wake the computer up it would free and you would have to restart. I started putting my computer to sleep half the time and shutting down the other half.
Next

Return to HAL 3000 - Computer Geeks