FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Head ache newbie

<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:45 am

Head ache newbie

Hi , Intro : Aussie : Tatts :beer drinken chilli eaten fricken foul mouth slob.Well thats what the wife thinks!
I reality I am a beer Drinken brewer.Love Chilli and anything extreme as long as it does take to much effort.Kind of fell into this Lock/Pick interest, went to Vietnam for a month came home and my cool room which was full of beer had stopped working, AH and I didnt have a key for the padlock (Tricircle as yet to be picked), tried a forced entry and got stuck between the two doors of the shed.Decided to look at picking as a hobby and havent looked back, its actually stopped me smoking, my hands are always busy now.Just got a descent lock to play with Lockwood 234C45, man what is with those locks ? no security pins but I cant get close to picking that bastard.Whats the trick ? I broke my Klom saw rake,Thats after frustrating SPP in vain. Im just about ready to give it a happy Zen send off into the river.Really its a bitch of a thing but its kept me busy for two nights now, late nights.I looked at youtube and some of you pick that puppy real quick.Tell me the answer and you can have free beer at my bar when ever.
Make a Newbie happy.
GB

Font Edit By Lockylew
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:38 am

Re: Head ache newbie

Those locks have very tight tolerances. You need to go slow as it is easy to miss the shear line and over set the pins. Also if you are breaking picks you are using too much tension (probably out of frustration). Try using less tension and changing you picking order.

Also don't post in blue it is dam near impossible to see :!:
<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:49 am

Yeh the blue sucks.I notice with the lockwood even when using the key to open, the plug kind of binds (right at the beginning). before it opens, its new so its not full of crap.Feels like the keys/plug just not quite right, this cant be helping ?I have given it some graphite, no better. I have gone gentle and still no luck.More time I hope will fix it.
I have a really old yale that I will post a picture of soon , so I can identify what mechanism it uses.It has no turning plug (bottom entry) but I can feel some spring plates in the guts.
GB
<<

frantic57744

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:17 pm

those are difficult locks to pick and the key bitting can be a factor. In picking terms it shouldn,t make that much difference if the key is sticking it could be that a key pin/s is slightly worn. If your breaking picks you're probably being too over zealous with the tension. med/light tension should help your cause. You,ll have to super-tune in to the feedback cos it can be almost zilch (a flea sneezing on the lock would give a bigger thump!!) this is due to the high tolerances..good luck :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/frantic57744

A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip.
<<

barbarian

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:36 pm

I hope you didn't waste that beer.

Don't take any chances, best to drink it all right away, if it gets warm it could spoil..
<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Beer has been destroyed humanly, more has been produced to take it place.Note : no beer was harmed in this action.
GB
<<

GutterClown

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:21 am

Hi champ. I'm a QLD lockie, yeah it's no surprise you're having issues with the lockwood. they're a decent padlock.
But they're not unpickable. Frankly, the problem isn't that they're super-hard to pick, it's that people get overconfident by picking Master locks and cheap chinese imports with half an inch sheerline.

If the lockwood is new, it shouldn't have any binding. Check your key for any rub marks, grinding or wear.
Flush your lock out with some Contact Cleaner or Brake Cleaner, then cover your key in graphite. Like just rub it over with your finger until the brass color is changed slightly dark.
Then run it through the lock a few times, just opening and closing it. Give it maybe 20 gos and checkout the key. Should show you where it's rubbing or contacting the plug, if it is.

If you got it from a locksmith, take it in and ask them what the problem is. Get on good terms with your locking locksmiths, and you'll have a good supplier for your hobby for years to come.
<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:53 am

Hey thanks for the tips.Where in QLD are you ? I worked TI and Rockhampton for a few years.I have done a few Lockwoods with a lesser rating.I will get this puppy ! To night is a right off , my other hobbie/Job brewing has me under its spell.I got this lock off ebay $21.00 AUD so I cant go and see the Lockie. Do you know any body over here that is prepared to show me the ropes?
Cheers GB
<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:42 pm

GutterClown wrote:Hi champ. I'm a QLD lockie, yeah it's no surprise you're having issues with the lockwood. they're a decent padlock.
But they're not unpickable. Frankly, the problem isn't that they're super-hard to pick, it's that people get overconfident by picking Master locks and cheap chinese imports with half an inch sheerline.

If the lockwood is new, it shouldn't have any binding. Check your key for any rub marks, grinding or wear.
Flush your lock out with some Contact Cleaner or Brake Cleaner, then cover your key in graphite. Like just rub it over with your finger until the brass color is changed slightly dark.
Then run it through the lock a few times, just opening and closing it. Give it maybe 20 gos and checkout the key. Should show you where it's rubbing or contacting the plug, if it is.

If you got it from a locksmith, take it in and ask them what the problem is. Get on good terms with your locking locksmiths, and you'll have a good supplier for your hobby for years to come.
Hey GC I got two more 234C45'S and both of them turn/open smooth as silk with the key, must be a problem with the first one.I will PM you soon as I get my old Yale keys from the US and you can have a look at both locks.
GB
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:44 pm

I have a really old yale that I will post a picture of soon , so I can identify what mechanism it uses.It has no turning plug (bottom entry) but I can feel some spring plates in the guts.
GB

sounds like a warded lock,if there is no plug.
the key itself spreads "U" shaped springs that set into depressions on either side of the shackle
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:42 pm

awol70 wrote:
GB

sounds like a warded lock,if there is no plug.
the key itself spreads "U" shaped springs that set into depressions on either side of the shackle
Thats what I was starting to think, I m sure you are right.
GB
<<

Warder

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:41 pm

rstu664,

o. ....In addition to its prolific history for gold mining, Wawa has shown promising signs of concentrated kimberlite indicators, a favorable geological formation for diamond exploration....

We have a family camp in Mitchipicoten Harbour that is going to get real dirty. It also might get expropriated with this development..

Return to Introduce Yourself