FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

This Redneck's 1st post

<<

Buford T Justice

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:27 am

This Redneck's 1st post

Hi all. I'm a hobbyist lock picker. I've had a set of picks for a while, but only recently started trying to really learn how to use them. I thought I would share a tool I made when I first picked up a rake and tension tool.

I found there was too much going on to try to keep constant and consistent pressure on the tension tool while trying to use the rake / pick at the same time. I made a tension tool with a wide handle. I then drilled some small holes in the handle. I took a paper clip and bent one end out 180 degrees. I hung the small end on the tension tool, and a lead fishing weight on the other. This freed up one hand so I could focus only on the pins in the lock. You can move the weight further down the handle to get more pressure or further up for less. Add in some additional weights and you have a lot of possibilities. Below is a picture of the crude thing I made. I no longer use it, but it was very handy getting that 1st lock open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:36 am

Re: This Redneck's 1st post

LOL. That is hilariously cool. Whatever floats your boat (or sinks it in this case). I would argue against using something like this as you are going to want to learn how to control tension manually.

Anyway, welcome and stop by the chat/
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:39 am

Welcome to key picking. Aka the dark side

From eastern Canada
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:13 am

Welcome to KP. Glad you're here. I'm Mike... good to meet ya.
Your innovative mind is a great thing to have around here!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

rzr800

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Very cool indeed. I have to agree with xeo. As you picks locks you will notice its all about your tension wrench in your fingers. You will feel each pin set in the joints of your tension finger from the vibration. Those schlages like to pick counter clockwise you got that right. Have you already mastered the ways of the kwikset and weiser? When I lose a my tension wrench which only happens like once a year I use the metal out of a cars windshield wiper blade. They are the perfect thickness and width. So never throw away old wiper blades make sure you pull the metal out of them first. Welcome to key picking bro!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Welcome to KP, and love the username. Always thought of Smokey and the Bandit as one of the great cops and crooks movies.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Buford T Justice

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:12 pm

I don't use that tension tool any more. It was just an aid to isolate my picking and build some confidence when I fist started. It just feels like cheating now. I've passed it on to my 10 year old daughter.

I find Weisers to either be super easy or super hard from one lock to another. The Weiser on my front door is my nemesis yet the one to my garage that is the same lock and uses the same key is a breeze. The Schlages I've come across seem to be more consistent. I don't have any Kwiksets to practice on. Car doors are my favorite to practice on (probably because that's what I actually need to open most often.)
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:19 pm

That's a nice photo, and it was a clever way of easing your way into understanding the process of picking a lock.

Return to Introduce Yourself