FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Back for the challenge..

<<

OneManClan

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Back for the challenge..

what's up. name's Derek. i use to mess with picking.. just small stuff, like padlocks, quiksets, etc. that was years ago.

recently been watching a ridiculous amount of youtube videos on picking.. some of which recommended this forum. seeing what you guys are pulling off sparked a new interest.

anyway i recently spent like 45 buck on a schlage c keyway ez rekey lock, and a southord pick set. easily got used to the ez rekey... tolerances too low. turns out those arent real schlages... learned that one too late.

a few days ago i got a REAL schlage 6 pin mortise.. [no security pins] this thing has crazy tollerance! i picked it once, by accident! now im waiting on some sparrows bogatas :wrake: and hooks :offestdiamond: , and a peterson pry bar. seeing how i learned about them after buying the damn southord set! prolly get a peterson gem soon, as i heard they are good.

hoping to master the schlages after i get the better picks. later..
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: Back for the challenge..

Welcome to the forum.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Welcome Derek. Funny how you'll always return to your dark master. lol

I actually got into lockpicking 13 years ago. Over the years I would revisit
it from time to time... usually for only a few months at time. Wasn't until
recently that I've stuck with it. I've now been devoted to it. Consistantly
picking for a little over two years now. There's no turning back now. lol

Anyway, glad your here Derek.... I'm Mike.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:15 pm

If you go easy on the tension wrench, you can probably pick the Schlage with the SO picks. My personal preference at this time is a medium hook, though I used to love a half diamond rake. I used the diamond to both rake and SPP. If you can rekey the schlage, or even the other one, put just one pin stack in, and get used to it. When you get better, add the second pin, and practice that way. Try to see how LITTLE tension you can apply and still spring the lock. Increase one pin at a time, and get used to the different feel. See how the binding order changes, and how the tension changes with each pin. You will do yourself a great service if you take the time now to master these basics.

Happy picking,

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

OneManClan

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:58 pm

thanks guys..

GWiens2001, the idea of starting with 1, or even 2 pins is abhorrent to me. i am too ninja minded to do that. mabey ill try 3 pins. also, i already cut off the factory pressed driver pin/spring holder thing of the lock, (whats it called?) and replaced it with one made out of a stainless SO key extracter. i needed to, cuz i needed to take all the pins out and test my wrenches, cuz they all keep binding clockwise! i hate Schlage C keyway!

oh wait... isnt the regular hook that comes with a 14 southord set, a medium hook?
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:53 am

Welcome!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:16 pm

OneManClan wrote:thanks guys..

GWiens2001, the idea of starting with 1, or even 2 pins is abhorrent to me. i am too ninja minded to do that. mabey ill try 3 pins. also, i already cut off the factory pressed driver pin/spring holder thing of the lock, (whats it called?) and replaced it with one made out of a stainless SO key extracter. i needed to, cuz i needed to take all the pins out and test my wrenches, cuz they all keep binding clockwise! i hate Schlage C keyway!

oh wait... isnt the regular hook that comes with a 14 southord set, a medium hook?

It probably is. Go for it!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Introduce Yourself