FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Just another Noob

<<

Telos954

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:02 am

Just another Noob

Hey there, I'm new to Keypicking, and the lockpicking scene in general. Figured I'd introduce my self before taking to the rest of the forums.

I'm James, though online most people know me as 'Tel', either is fine. I'm 22 and live in south Florida. I've always been in to solving puzzles and taking things apart, both physically and mentally picturing things in their disassembled state. A friend of mine I met gaming online has been picking locks since he was in high school and said that it seemed like the next logical step for someone like me. Especially since lockpicking provides an added piece to the puzzle : You typically don't see what you're doing. So, after some (very brief) research, I bought a set of Southord picks (PXS-05) which came with the 'Easy Pickings' booklet. I also checked out the LSI Guide to Lockpicking as well. As of the last few weeks, I've had little free time to practice, and have had maybe all of an hour all together so far, but plan on spending some more dedicated time when things get a bit less hectic around here.

Outside of lockpicking, my hobies are gaming and reading. I'm a huge fan of A Song of Ice and Fire (and the HBO adaptation of it as well). I'm highly anticipating Dawnguard (the DLC for Skyrim) which comes out in a few days. When I was in school, one of my teachers gave us a new puzzle at the start of each week, and gave extra credit to the first 4 people to solve it. I basically passed that class off of extra credit ;P Apart from gaming and books, I like to write; fabricate random things (Such as the several docking stations, stands, and cases for my phone and tablet); cook (my biggest goal in life is to open my own restaurant); and I love animals.

I think my main focus when joining these forums was to learn and meet those who can not only teach but learn with me as well. Online resources are great, but if I could find someone locally that would be able to spare the time to tutor me or at least guide me along learning, that would be great. I've done some (very minor) google searches looking for groups in my area and only can seem to find few in Florida in general; and those seem to be in northern Florida (Like, I believe it was Toool that has a chapter in Jacksonville, but not Miami or Ft. Lauderdale). So any points in the right direction would be cool.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:09 am

Re: Just another Noob

Welcome to the site. We have several active forum members here from Florida, including one of the site owners. I imagine they'll chime in here with more info as to their locations.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:23 am

Telos954 wrote:I bought a set of Southord picks (PXS-05) which came with the 'Easy Pickings' booklet. I also checked out the LSI Guide to Lockpicking as well.

That's actually a good starter kit for a North American picker (South Ord also make a "Euro" line of picks that are slimmer and -- as the name suggests -- oriented towards European (as well as East Asian and Australian) locks that have narrower and more aggressively warded keyways.) For Kwikset and Schlage cylinders and Master padlocks -- which are the usual starter locks -- those are fine though.

I would suggest that you purchase a small hobby vise to mount the cylinders in for picking. Don't get into the habit of picking cylinders in your hands, it is significantly easier because the holding hand not only receives feedback from the lock casing but it also adjusts the position of the lock relative to your picking hand which denies you the development of dexterity and tactile sensitivity in your picking hand. Do pick the padlocks in your hands as that is how you would encounter them in the field or in a competition.

Welcome to the forum.
<<

bunchabull

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:27 am

Hello from S. Florida also. A little further north than you in PBC. I tried finding local groups also but had the same luck as you. Let me know if you find anything down south here.
<<

cyrano138

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:41 am

Soon we're going to have enough people together to start a Toool chapter here in the south of the state.
"One cyrano video was all that I needed to cure my serratatosus."
<<

Arctor

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:54 am

bunchabull wrote:Hello from S. Florida also. A little further north than you in PBC. I tried finding local groups also but had the same luck as you. Let me know if you find anything down south here.

and I am a little further north than you :D

I am damn near on the exact opposite side of the state from cyrano lol
<<

cyrano138

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:21 am

Well if you guys here in S. FL would be interested in meeting somewhere, let's talk. For the OP, I feel like I've been doing it long enough to at least show you a few things. I'd like it if we could get a S. FL toool chapter going.
"One cyrano video was all that I needed to cure my serratatosus."

Return to Introduce Yourself