FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hello! New to Locksport

<<

Hyperfocal

Post Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:28 am

Hello! New to Locksport

I've always been captivated by creative mechanical solutions to common problems, but my interest in locks began with a simple question. How does a simple mechanism open with both a standard key and a master key? The more I learned about the intricacies of different lock mechanisms to answer my question, the more my interest in them grew. I eventually stumbled my way to locksport. Here I am. I'm two weeks into the sport and have opened the following locks:

• Masterlock 141
  • Masterlock 140
  • Masterlock No. 3
  • Brinks 40mm
  • Hampton 40mm
  • Tru-Bolt 3/4" brass padlock
  • An old unbranded brass padlock with five standard pins

I'm starting to look into four-pin locks with more than one or two security pins and standard five-pin locks. I think I may be addicted.
<<

thegurkha

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:51 am

Re: Hello! New to Locksport

Hi Hyperfocal, Welcome, I'm at about the same point in my picking as you. Just starting to get to grips with the whole false set / counter-rotation scenario. The addiction hits hard and fast :)
<<

Hyperfocal

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:54 am

Re: Hello! New to Locksport

thegurkha wrote:Hi Hyperfocal, Welcome, I'm at about the same point in my picking as you. Just starting to get to grips with the whole false set / counter-rotation scenario. The addiction hits hard and fast :)

Yes, that's where I'm at. I sometimes find myself thinking I feel counter-rotation on a pin when I have a false set, relax the tension, and end up dropping everything!

Return to Introduce Yourself