FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Wanting to practice with my American Security safe

<<

Nitro-Nicky

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Wanting to practice with my American Security safe

I am so confused as to how you guys are establishing the initial Contact Points for the dial. What is the starting point idea? This safe of mine is a 4 number code, in case that makes a difference. There is also a 'Firemans' safe at my local dump for sale (locked of course) that they want $60 bucks for. It's about 3' x 3'. Is this worthwhile as a practice item? Thanks, Nitro-Nicky
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Re: Wanting to practice with my American Security safe

Establishing a contact point, or 2, is easy. The problem you are having I think, it doesn't work with Sentry safes. I believe you said in your earlier post that you had a Sentry? There is a ton of info on this site. Start with how a combination lock works. That is essential to understanding why , and how, contact points happen. Your Amsec safe will work for practice. It is much different than a Sentry.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Re: Wanting to practice with my American Security safe

Safes come with a lot of dead weight when it comes to practicing manipulation. I would buy a lock on ebay or perhaps craig's list for starters and mount on a wooden panel. That is how I started. The locks you can buy that way do have contact points, your Sentry probably not, because it is a much simpler lock. The locks with contact points are still very helpful to understand how a lock works. On Amazon is a book about manipulation of Sentry safes. It might be the very same model as you have, but it should give you ideas how to proceed.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt

Return to Introduce Yourself