FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Destructive lock testing

<<

twenglish 1

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Destructive lock testing

Most interested in extreme testing such as shooting with a high powered rifle, I have definitely been thinking about trying it with one of those abus 34/55 n.y.c.h.a. locks seems to be one of the toughest locks I've seen for the price, I'd like to see how it holds up to my mosin nagant(7.62x54r), which I might add, it cracked a half inch thick steel plate at 75 yards after a few shots and it left deep craters that made raised humps on the backside, I may purchase another and try it if it hasn't been done yet
<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Destructive lock testing

I'd be interested in seeing that. I like the ballistics of the 7.62x54r. I could buy one for a test with some 7.62x39 possibly.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:14 pm

Its a pretty badass rifle, hard to believe I only paid about $70 for it, if I do end up doing this I will be sure to post the results
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:24 pm

I'd like to see that also. I used to have some armor piercing ammo around here. That would be fun.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

twenglish 1

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:42 pm

I have 203gr soft points with steel jackets and armor piercing rounds, not sure on the bullet weight, I have always seen videos of people shooting locks with pistols and shotguns, never a high powered rifle though, I could probaby guarantee it would completely destroy any that doesn't have a steel body
<<

HT4

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:17 am

There are not many locks that could withstand the 7.62x54r. Heck, there are not many that could stand up to 5.56 (out of at least an 18" barrel). I'd be stunned if the nycha lock withstood more than one well-placed shot from your mosin.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

twenglish 1

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:49 am

Thinking more on it, that 7.62x54r is one hell of a cartridge for its size, I watched a video where a guy was shooting brinks laminated padlocks with various calibers, too a few shots from the 5.56 to destroy the padlock, after that he jumped up to the .50 bmg rifle and it blew the lock to pieces with one shot, which isn't much of a surprise, however being laminated locks the bullets seem to squeeze in between the plates and separate the laminations shearing the rivets off in the process, I seem to think a solid steel bodied padlock will react alot differently
<<

Neilau

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Twinglish.

Just a word of caution.

If you are going to fire a hi power firearm at a piece of metal (lock) :

Don't stand too close and wear eye/face protection (maybe also body protection).

Looks good in the movies but in real life it's very dangerous.

Leave it to the Mythbusters.

If you want to try up close destructive testing get a Hooligan or Halligan tool and a sledge hammer.

Very effective.

Stay safe.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.

Return to What Would You Like To See?