FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Which key code database is best?

<<

malfunctionjunction

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:22 am

Which key code database is best?

I looked for a review like this, and while I found some discussion about code services, I didn't see anything comprehensive so I decided to make this post after taking the biggest names for a test drive. I tried Gcode Online (Genericode) by Framon, CodeSource Online by HPC, Codes On Line by Blackhawk (lockcodes.com), and InstaCode Live by WH Software. With the exception of the InstaCode windows app and occasional mobile (android) use, I used Firefox 90.0.2 on Windows 10 to access these products. I don't do much with automotive and as a result I didn't explore that functionality when it was offered. Reviews for each are as follows:

Genericode https://www.framon.com/index.php/gcode-online/ $99/yr - While none of the databases had every code I searched for, Genericode had the most, including one that none of the others had, I386, a code for a Stack-On gun safe listed on a sticker inside the safe. One notable exception is that it doesn't list Medeco codes such as D1PA2159ENJ. The web site logged me out frequently enough that while it wasn't a problem during a single session of using it, I often found that I needed to log in again when I returned to it after working on something else. The ability to sort the list of search results by key blank was somewhat useful, as was the ability to exclude automotive codes by searching for "utility" locks. The display of search results wasn't my favorite, but was tolerable. Simple navigation like using the back button causes problems and contributes to an overall underwhelming interface. At $8.25 amo, access is cheap in the long run, but it does require spending $99 to get started as access is sold a year at a time. They do offer a free 7-day full demo of this database with no strings attached, which is really nice. In spite of having an option to search explicitly for Chicago/Illinois double-sided codes, they don't seem to list the associated pattern key. This is fine if you don't use pattern keys and prefer to make 22 different cuts to originate a key, but that seems like a tough way to go. Overall, I will probably keep an active subscription to this, even if I only use it to look for codes nobody else has.

Codes On Line https://www.lockcodes.com/ $59/yr - This was one of my favorites, and the one I've used the longest. It has most things, including an incomplete list of Harley Davidson tubular key codes such as HD3395. It also has Medeco codes, such as D1PA2159ENJ. As far as I know, this is the only database that has Medeco codes. The site stays logged in for a long time, but logging in is accomplished using a browser prompt that feels antiquated and isn't supported by the password manager I use, LastPass. Because of this, I often find myself searching my email for the original email with the login info. The ability to easily filter results by whether the key blank is single-sided, double-sided, tubular, dimple, 2-track, etc. is incredibly useful for easily narrowing down a search with a lot of results. The ability to print cards for the HPC 1200CM is incredibly useful. They list the pattern key code for Chicago/Illinois double-sided locks, but don't seem to offer you the card required to cut them without having a pattern key set. https://www.lockcodes.com/cod/chicago.htm They offer an open demo, but you need to purchase a subscription to see the actual code. Still gives you a great chance to experience the interface and see what codes they have. At the end of the day I'm biased because I have the most experience with it, but I believe the interface is one of the best and results in faster and less frustrating use than others. I'll probably continue using this as my primary code database.

InstaCode Live https://www.instacodelive.com/ $10/mo per device - This was the first database I started using, in part because of the low cost to get started. Their pricing plan can be annoying however, as you're limited to one device and would need to deactivate the installation on your laptop in order to activate an installation on your phone for example. It also doesn't lend itself well to sharing amongst multiple people, unless you keep it on a single computer in the shop where everyone can access it and have people in the field call in with codes. Conveniently lists the pattern key code for Chicago/Illinois double-sided locks, but if you search for the pattern key, such as H2061, it will give you the information needed to originate one by making 22 different cuts. This software also gives you the ability to print cards for the HPC 1200CM. The interface is easy to use and has the best appearance, including offering pictures of many blanks. If being limited to one device isn't a problem for you, this is a solid answer. This is especially true if you don't frequently need codes, as it's very easy to resume your subscription after a lapse, even after many months of inactivity. If you keep your subscription active all year, this ends up costing you $120/yr, making it the most expensive option. In that context, I'm not sure it's worth it when you consider it lacks codes that others offer, including Harley Davidson tubular codes and that Stack-On safe code I mentioned earlier. While they don't offer a demo, they do have plenty of screen shots you can view.

CodeSource Online https://www.hudsonlock.com/product/codesource-online/ $80 for 500 codes - As someone who has a lot of respect for the HPC name and uses primarily HPC machines, it hurts me to say this, but to be honest this is the worst of them all and I view it as having been not only a disappointment but a total waste of $80. The user experience was terrible, it's small and the search results don't show much for detail. I frequently encountered errors when using it. To add insult to injury, not only does the advertised overstock sale "going on RIGHT NOW" link to a page that can't be found, but so does for the link to Depth and Space Data. It lacks many codes that others have, so even if it had worked well, I found it shockingly incomplete. I was unable to find Chicago/Illinois double-sided codes at all, which is such a stunning omission that I feel like I almost must have missed it somehow, but try as I might I couldn't find any. Although they refer to the pricing plan as "500 searches," you can actually search as much as you like and you don't consume a "search" until you click to view the code. I've been so disappointed that I actually haven't consumed any searches, and as such this review will be incomplete. I was going to view a Chicago/Illinois double-sided code just to see how they displayed those, but maybe I'll just try to get my money back instead. In case you thought it couldn't get any worse, I'll say that the purchase process was annoying as well. I ordered through CLK Supplies which says I should receive credentials in 24-48 hrs. I emailed CLK shortly after the 48hr mark on Friday afternoon and received a reply later that day saying I should have gotten the credentials and asking if I had checked my spam folder. I replied Friday evening, and Monday evening the CLK rep said they'd contact HPC. On Tuesday morning, HPC finally emailed me the credentials. Maybe it was the high expectations I had based on brand recognition or the perception based on the high cost of their offline product ($650+ for the full version) or the anticipation built from waiting 5 days for the credentials required to access the database, but I couldn't have been more disappointed in this product and couldn't possibly recommend it to anyone.

I hope this helps people make informed decisions about key code software, or at least saves someone $80. Feel free to add to this thread if you have experience with something else, like CodesExpress by Locksmith Ledger which I didn't test.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:03 pm

Re: Best key code database?

Great post, thank you for the review, I am sure people will find it quite helpful. Stickied since we get people asking about them from time to time.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Return to Product Reviews