FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Unbelievable price for Chinies tubular picks

<<

escher7

Post Tue May 27, 2014 4:41 am

Re: Unbelievable price for Chinies tubular picks

VancouverSpecial71 wrote:Any suggestions for which pick set for use on cruciform locks - there also seem to be multiple different options/prices.

Richard, those tools look amazing - such nice craftsmanship.
Thanks for the great info guys!

Cheers fellahs,
Sean

Here is a good review of Chinese Cross picks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ev0LpERIJk
<<

escher7

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:30 am

Received my $22 set of tubular picks a few days ago and notwithstanding some comments, they are very well made and worked on both my tubular locks on the first try.
The handles appear to be aluminum with well machined knurling. The tubes are stainless and the groves for the picks are clean and fit the spring steel picks exactly. The three sizes are etched onto the barrels including an arrow indicating how to position the device.
Never having used this type of pick before, I simply aligned the individual picks with the end of the tube, gentle inserted it into the lock while applying tension and the locks opened first time. Admittedly the bicycle lock and laptop cable were not difficult challenges, but it was a heck of a lot easier than spp. The package included spare rings, 4 spare picks and some short pins the purpose of which I have not figured out yet. The rings are a white elastic material, not standard O rings, but they seem to function properly. And there are always O rings at the local hardware store if they fail.
On the negative side, there is no ability to lock the pick with a tension collar, and trying to measure for cutting a key would not be easy, but then I bought them as picks, not as a locksmithing tool.
I remain amazed at how, even given the cheap labour, the Chinese are able to machine a tool of very high quality, ship it all the way to Canada or the U.S. for free, and still make a profit.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:04 am

escher7 wrote:On the negative side, there is no ability to lock the pick with a tension collar, and trying to measure for cutting a key would not be easy, but then I bought them as picks, not as a locksmithing tool.

:tubular: :tubular:

Get a cheap tubular key gauge. It makes it pretty easy to get the bitting of the key from the pick. ;)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:38 pm

It looks like the collar can be drilled and tapped still, giving you the opportunity to lock each tine down as you please.

If you fancied a little modding, that is.
<<

escher7

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Thanks Gord and Hux. A gauge would work as the rings hold the tines firmly enough that the pick can be used as a key, but again, I bought the set first because they looked kind of pretty from a toolmaker's perspective, and second, to have the picking ability in case a need arises. As much as these picks appear to be as well made as some $100 picks, a locksmith clearly would want something with better adjustments.
Again, to be able to do all that design, machining, anodizing etc and still sell them for the price of a pizza is amazing.
<<

subsonic1050

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:44 pm

I can't speak to the efficacy of the picks the OP mentioned, but I DO own all 3 of the Goso ones that Hux pointed out. I haven't tried anything too crazy with them, but they have worked on MOST of the tubular locks I have tried. Oddly, I did encounter one tubular lock (on a small gun safe) that seemed not to fit any of the sizes of tubes. I could jam one of them in there, but it was way too tight to work properly. Other than that, I think they are great (for the money). I can imagine that an O-ring for tension would not work nearly as well.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Picked a set of them up myself. Nice looking haven't tried them yet as I don't own any locks, might have to run down tothe pub and assault the paper towel dispenser.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Doogs wrote:Picked a set of them up myself. Nice looking haven't tried them yet as I don't own any locks, might have to run down tothe pub and assault the paper towel dispenser.

I pickup some tubular locks for under $5.00 on ebay, I can send you a link if you want.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
Previous

Return to Product Reviews