FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lockpick Cases

<<

escher7

Post Mon May 27, 2013 11:33 am

Lockpick Cases

This isn't really an " I would like to see", but I didn't know where else to put it.

I need a new case for my picks as the current one is dying. The choice is between the Southord medium cases ($18 to $30) or the Southern Specialities. ($9.95) Question: Are the Southord cases as high quality as they look on the site and does the $18.95 case (mpxs 20c) have pockets on both sides - enough for about 20 picks and wrenches?
And re the medium Southern Specialties case - the quality clearly looks lower than the Southord, but is it leather? Chinese junk? Or OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon May 27, 2013 11:48 am

Re: Lockpick Cases

The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon May 27, 2013 12:01 pm

I've compared them side by side and the SouthOrd and Southern Specialties cases are very similar, but SouthOrd uses leather that is a bit smoother so they look a bit nicer. In terms of strength there doesn't appear to be much difference so I buy/sell and use the Southern Specialties cases. Much better value for the money in my opinion.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Mon May 27, 2013 12:16 pm

I can only speak for the Southord cases as I have one hanging around here somewhere.

Very nicely made. Mine is the C3010, so it has the 2 foldout wings. It filled up far too quickly, and quickly got relegated to holding a backup set in my EDC bag. I guess the first thing to go is the zipper, if it was to mess up somehow. I believe that the C* line of Southord's cases and the equivalent in the MPXS* line are the same cases, just branded differently.

I'd guess that you'll only fit 20 picks in the mpxs 20c if you stick to bare metal handled picks.

Personally, I'm staying with Peterson's Tri-folds for this life, and I'm well settled with them.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

escher7

Post Mon May 27, 2013 1:40 pm

xeo wrote:Have this one, love it: http://www.sparrowslockpicks.com/product_p/c-2.htm

I like that one as well Xeo, and the price. But the one on the Canadian Sparrows site has a louder (uglier) logo. They are not leather, but that's OK. Maybe I will email the Canadian site and see which version they have in stock.

Correction: I see now that the case you show is slightly larger. The one I show below is a medium case. Sparrow Canada doesn't offer the large case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by escher7 on Mon May 27, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

escher7

Post Mon May 27, 2013 1:51 pm

MBI wrote:I've compared them side by side and the SouthOrd and Southern Specialties cases are very similar, but SouthOrd uses leather that is a bit smoother so they look a bit nicer. In terms of strength there doesn't appear to be much difference so I buy/sell and use the Southern Specialties cases. Much better value for the money in my opinion.

That is exactly what I wanted to know. I do have one problem with S. Specialties: Their website is not updated with respect to Canadian postage. When I fill out the order they wanted $33 to send to Canada. Upon enquiry they said they would charge the $33 but the refund the cost except for $7.95. I trust them, but really don't want to be over-charged and then wait for a refund. It would seem to be trivial to update their site to give the proper charge. Southord charges $7.95 up front. (Southord only charges me $4 for orders under $15 if it just a few picks etc. $2 in the U.S.)

Xeo mentions the Sparrow case, not leather but tough nylon. I might go for it as I can order it in Canada. I would prefer the S. Specialties but for the postage problem.
<<

escher7

Post Mon May 27, 2013 1:54 pm

MBI wrote:I've compared them side by side and the SouthOrd and Southern Specialties cases are very similar, but SouthOrd uses leather that is a bit smoother so they look a bit nicer. In terms of strength there doesn't appear to be much difference so I buy/sell and use the Southern Specialties cases. Much better value for the money in my opinion.

MBI if you sell the Southern Specialties cases to Canadians PM me with a price.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon May 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Check out my review of the Southord MPXS-62 case, viewtopic.php?f=59&t=3911

It is VERY tight and VERY well made. Despite this, it won't hold nearly as many tools as the Sparrows case.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon May 27, 2013 1:58 pm

The Sparrow's case:

Picture 291.jpg

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

escher7

Post Mon May 27, 2013 2:20 pm

xeo wrote:Check out my review of the Southord MPXS-62 case, viewtopic.php?f=59&t=3911

It is VERY tight and VERY well made. Despite this, it won't hold nearly as many tools as the Sparrows case.

The post you did on the Southord case is great. The leather and general quality is serious, but I really want something small enough to fit in a jacket or suit pocket. The $outhord $18.95 case is looking good if I can't get the S. Specialties postage issue
sorted out.

Folks have been very helpful. Thanks.

Return to Product Reviews