FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

<<

bmc1284

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: The Battle of the Prybars: Peterson vs Technical Entry

Just got my Lite Peterson Prybar in the mail today, along with a Peterson Lifter and off diamond. So far...I LOVE THEM!

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Dark red plastic handles... interesting.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

stealthski

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 pm

i believe the red handled petersons are the "DCAP" deep cut access picks. blue handles are slim and black are the standards
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:54 am

stealthski wrote:i believe the red handled petersons are the "DCAP" deep cut access picks. blue handles are slim and black are the standards

+1 on that.

I've really grown fond of my DCAPs. Nice and strong. However, as you can see from the pic above, the shaft is shorter than the regular Petersons. I guess that's the trade-off between slimmer shaft vs strong pick.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Yep the DCAPs are excellent. The DCAP diamond is an extremely useful tool for wild keyways and picking side pins like ASSA Twin. The DCAP hook (not the notched lifter) is also superb for ASSA Twin sidepins. The notched lifter pick absolutely destroys Medecos. It lets you rotate like a dream.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:34 pm

Which online retailers carry either the TE och Petersons prybars and caters to hobbyists/non-locksmiths? I've seen the Petersons at the toool.us shop, but that's about it.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:50 pm

80553 wrote:Which online retailers carry either the TE och Petersons prybars and caters to hobbyists/non-locksmiths? I've seen the Petersons at the toool.us shop, but that's about it.

http://www.technicalentry.com/products/prybar - TE

http://www.lockpickshop.com/PPB.html - PP
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:08 pm

technicalentry.com states "Please note: we only supply our lock entry tools and systems to locksmiths, safe technicians and other security professionals".
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:05 pm

80553 wrote:technicalentry.com states "Please note: we only supply our lock entry tools and systems to locksmiths, safe technicians and other security professionals".

No worries with that. They're fine with the locksport community. It's just there for show ...... unless of course everything has changed.

But saying that, I'd say go with Petersons, only because I know a couple of people that have had troubles with their TE orders and a complete lack of communication to clear it up. I really hope they've now cleaned up their customer service now. Petersons on the other hand are spot on. You can pick up the phone and speak to the CEO any time you like.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:33 pm

MrAnybody wrote:
80553 wrote:technicalentry.com states "Please note: we only supply our lock entry tools and systems to locksmiths, safe technicians and other security professionals".

No worries with that. They're fine with the locksport community. It's just there for show ...... unless of course everything has changed.

But saying that, I'd say go with Petersons, only because I know a couple of people that have had troubles with their TE orders and a complete lack of communication to clear it up. I really hope they've now cleaned up their customer service now. Petersons on the other hand are spot on. You can pick up the phone and speak to the CEO any time you like.

I also bought mine from TE without any trouble. No idea how it goes when that happens. But hat's just my own experience, just thought I'd chme in :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 am

In regards to the TE set rusting: I recently sanded one down (taking care not to lose thickness off the working ends),
then gave it two coats of Perma Blue. I like the looks of it & should prevent rust. We'll see how it holds up over time.
MBI has mentioned using a cold blue on picks & has some good tips on using it. Can't find where he posted though.

Question: I've two sets of Peterson prybars. I'd like to take one pair of them and place a 30ish degree bend in the middle.
I've no doubt the TE set would snap in two, and I've a sneaking suspicion Petersons will react the same way. Thoughts?

[EDIT] Xeo, didn't I see you snap a prybar once?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:52 am

Oldfast wrote:Question: I've two sets of Peterson prybars. I'd like to take one pair of them and place a 30ish degree bend in the middle.
I've no doubt the TE set would snap in two, and I've a sneaking suspicion Petersons will react the same way. Thoughts?

Heat. Turn it orange, bend it, quench it. The metal composition may not respond to quenching, but it is easy to do regardless. Some might say temper it, but we're not exactly putting metal snapping strain on it during normal use. I haven't had any problems after putting a 90 degree bend on both sides of a pry bar I own.

Let me add I've been working with music wire lately and the stuff is awesome!
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Oldfast wrote:[EDIT] Xeo, didn't I see you snap a prybar once?

LOL I most certainly have! So the coating on the TE bars is what is causing the rusting/fading from skin oil?

file.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Xeo, have you tried the Sparrow Flat Tension bar's? I just got a set in the mail today and was wondering how they compare to the TE's and Peterson's.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Anarchy_won wrote:Xeo, have you tried the Sparrow Flat Tension bar's? I just got a set in the mail today and was wondering how they compare to the TE's and Peterson's.

I have, they are horrible in my opinion. Way too flexible. Barely any feedback.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
PreviousNext

Return to Product Reviews