FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Evapo-Rust

<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Evapo-Rust

Inspired by OldFast's rust removal efforts I decided to try a product that I recently discovered: Evapo-Rust

Evapo-Rust 015.jpg

I thought I'd try it on some street sweeper bristles, that I rescued from Melbourne's storm water drains, that I promised to sideshowmick.

Evapo-Rust 006.jpg

I placed the bristles in a shallow plastic tub upon two perpendicular (rusted) drill-bits so that the Evapo-Rust contacts as much areas of the bristles as possible. I added just enough Evapo-Rust to cover the bristles.

I left the bristles to bathe in the solution for 24-hours. There are no fumes from the Evapo-Rust so it is safe to use indoors. It does have a mild odour -- something like old rubber -- so I used a container witha lid and just lightly covered the container with its lid.

Evapo-Rust 018.jpg

After 24-hours...

Evapo-Rust 023.jpg

After scrubbing lightly with a green Scoth-Brite pad:

Evapo-Rust 026.jpg

Evapo-Rust 035.jpg

I am pleased with the results. I will try it next on my rusty "magic" and "super" picks. It is a little pricey (it is much cheaper in the USA than it is in Australia) but it does do what it says on the label.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:46 pm

Re: Evapo-Rust

Wow, that looks like it works great. I'll have to remember that stuff.

Thanks for the bristles as well :D
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

muddassarusa

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Nice
<<

MacGyver101

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:29 am

I've used this before in some restoration projects: it can still require some elbow grease afterwards, and you need to be careful to remove any paint, etc., first... but it does work well.

To be clear, that was far more work than just submerging it in Evaporust, but it helped the process a lot.
<<

dll932

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:58 pm

You might want to try Phosphoric acid, also known as metal prep. Get it at auto paint shops.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:30 pm

Only use really diluted phosphoric acid. It's reactions with metals can greatly vary on the concentration, so be careful :)
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:44 pm

That Evaporust looks interesting. What safety precautions are needed when using it?

Used to use naval jelly for rust removal when I used to restore motorcycles. Worked very well, but if you use it... WEAR GLOVES!!!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MacGyver101

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:28 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:That Evaporust looks interesting. What safety precautions are needed when using it?

Very few. They claim it's safe to handle -- but I've always used gloves, just to be safe. There aren't any fumes to speak of: I've used it indoors regularly. It's not corrosive; I usually just use whatever cheap plastic container is handy (e.g., something like a sour cream container) to contain the solution while parts are soaking. The "not corrosive" bit makes it nicer than the acid-based options for rust removal if the parts have non-metal components that can't be easily separated; it's been completely harmless to any plastics, paint or plated bits on the pieces I've used it on. The same company (I believe?) offers the chemical in a gel form that's easier to use on pieces that are too big to completely submerge.
<<

escher7

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:19 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:That Evaporust looks interesting. What safety precautions are needed when using it?

Used to use naval jelly for rust removal when I used to restore motorcycles. Worked very well, but if you use it... WEAR GLOVES!!!

Gordon

Gord:

From their website:

EVAPO-RUST TM
Rust Remover
EVAPO-RUSTTM removes rust without any environmental or safety hazards.

SCAQMD CAS Certified
Non-Corrosive
Non-Toxic
Neutral pH (6 - 7)
Not a Skin Irritant
No an Eye Irritant
Non-Hazardous
No VOC's
No HAP's
Non-Flammable
Water-based
Biodegradable
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Very nice, escher7. Looks like all it needs is soda water and a slice of lemon. :D I'll have to pick some up and try it out.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:35 pm

LOL even a slice of lemon is an "eye irritant" and it has much more acidic PH. The only other thing I can think of with similar stats is water. :D
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning

Return to Product Reviews