FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Why does every one knock GOSO picks??

<<

Neilau

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Why does every one knock GOSO picks??

It seems that nobody has a good word to say for GOSO and KLOM.

I’m a bit of a tool freak and the first set of picks that I bought was a GOSO set. I’ll be the first to say that many (most?) of GOSO picks are weirdly shaped, don’t fit into a lot of locks etc. BUT, one thing they can’t be faulted on is their strength.

I’d go as far as to say that a GOSO kit is worth the price just for the hooks. Throw the rest out and keep the hooks and case.

I have broken Peterson, Sparrows, HPC and my own home brews but I have never come close to even bending a GOSO hook. I have two that have been used just about every day for a couple of years (since I really got into SPP) and they really get a workout. Especially lifting spools that require a bit of grunt.

They are still going strong.

GOSO hooks.jpg

I have no experience with KLOM picks but do have a couple of KLOM cylinder picks that work perfectly and are well made.

I really don’t understand why everyone calls them crap???

Is this based on experience or “received knowledge” or just a general view that everything produced in China or Korea is crap???

Perhaps the design of a lot of them is crap but the quality of the steel is first rate - in my experience.

Interested to hear if anyone has actually used them and broken them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Why does every one knock GOSO picks??

My first set was a Klom Set (I still have them in my tool box) for the $5 they cost me shipped, the pouch they came with was worth it alone.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:37 pm

I have the 31 piece Klom set in plastic case. They were my second purchase of picks after my Southord PXS-14 set and They have served me well when there were instances the Southords just didn't seem to get the job done. I haven't bent (except for one very fine one) or broken a Klom yet and I find the handles are comfortable even if the feedback isn't as nice, great when i get on a hardcore session and the others start to get uncomfortable. I did spend a bit of time with some sandpaper in a book to clean them up a bit but it really wasn't necessary. I've bent both the Southords and Sparrows I have but haven't broken a pick so far.

Actually i usually take the Kloms on the job as it gives me a lot of variety and if I do break one it's no great loss and there's enough picks I can grab something similar should it happen. There are some weird ones though especially the auto rakes. Oh and that weird flat wavy one, what is that a dimple rake or something?

If I were to recommend a set of picks to someone who's just starting I'd point them towards the Kloms as you can't beat the value for cost IMHO. I haven't tried any Goso's so I can't say anything it that regard. I may pick up a set just to check them out.

Correction:

I did buy a set of GOSO dimple picks and was not impressed at all. I wrote a review on them here:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=9844

I returned them and bought the Soubers. My review here.....

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=9885
Last edited by Doogs on Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:38 pm

My first set was the GOSO 24Pc and probably the set that has seen the most use by me, as I only started collecting 'better' picks a lot more recently. The finish leaves a lot to be desired and they're often too thick to effectively fit into our tight European keyways, but as you said, they are hella sturdy picks. My main gripe is actually the seam (moulding mark) on the handles where the two halves are pressed together; it's sharp and scratchy and generally uncomfortable for long term use. I now use my Southord Max or Sparrows picks mostly for the softness of the handles, but I agree - the GOSO are decent picks especially for the price, especially as beginner's picks. Lots of styles you'll never use but the hooks are great - just be careful if you're in the UK as they don't fit as well.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:58 am

Never used GOSO before, but find your experience interesting.
Interesting enough to want to give some a try actually. lol

Anyone have advice on WHICH site is best to purchase from???

I wouldn't mind trying out a set of their hooks. Something like these
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

pmaxey83

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:13 am

Oldfast wrote:Never used GOSO before, but find your experience interesting.

Try dhgate.com. I've used it to purchase Chinese pick sets and the prices are pretty good. The shipping is usually very quick as well.
jeffmoss26: pardon my ignorance to the real world, but what started all this mess in B'more
jeffmoss26: it's bad enough that city has the Ravens

(14:36:27) MBI: I was here for 2 seconds once.
(14:36:27) MBI: kthxbai
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:22 am

Oldfast wrote:Never used GOSO before, but find your experience interesting.

this is the set I have http://www.dx.com/p/manganese-steel-unl ... pkZ4bYrIdV

shipping is knda slow but I have always gotten what I order from them.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:55 pm

Do you know if the pick runs the entire length of the handle?

And are the handles easily removed if I wanted to put on my own?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Oldfast wrote:Do you know if the pick runs the entire length of the handle?

And are the handles easily removed if I wanted to put on my own?

I don't think they run the length of the handle. I had a set and it felt like it might be just a tab in the handle. You might ba able to do something in brass like I've seen others do. I gave my set away to someone starting out but I do have to admit they were pretty decent picks (hooks only) especially for the price. I would also recommend dhgate. Haven't had but one issue and their customer service chat helper resolved it very well.
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:28 pm

To whom do youu refer as "every one"?

You'll find that there are a lot of snobs in the lock picking community. For instance, a lot of pickers find that if they can pick a lock, it is therefore crap (Namely, Master Lock). They fail to see that every lock has an ideal place in the market. Same princi;le applies to lock picks and bypass tools.

I am a firm believer in "the more tools at your disposal, the better your chances of solving a problem in one trip".

So, as a fellow collector of lock picks and other bypass tools, I also have Klom and Goso tools i my bag.

I DO have my personal "go-to" picks and turning tools, based on experience and personal taste; but I don't preach amything to my fellow lock pickers, save, "Don't slam the brand".
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Neilau

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:19 pm

magician59 wrote:To whom do you refer as "every one"?

I admit "everyone" was a bit of a broad statement but I was struck by a statement in the Peterson Thread where someone mentioned GOSO and KLOM as an example of poor quality.

That's what prompted the question

Being quite fond of my GOSO hooks, I have noticed that every time (appears to me) people mention them it seems to be in a negative light.

I can't recall ever reading anything positive about them. I find this especially so when beginners ask questions regarding what picks they should buy.

Maybe I'm just being a bit sensitive but I am heartened to read all the positive things people have said so far.

For the money, I don't think you can get a stronger set of hooks. Sure they need a bit of cleaning up and they might be a bit thick for Euro locks but for someone starting out and not wanting to invest a lot of money till they get hooked (I know), they are a good buy.

I totally agree. "Don't slam the brand"

OF.

Can't say if the pick goes all the way up the handle as the whole thing is pretty rigid. Why not splash out $5 on a set and strip the handle off the weird wiggley one. :D ---- never figured out what that one is for. :???:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Neilau wrote:Why not splash out $5 on a set and strip the handle off the weird wiggley one. :D ---- never figured out what that one is for. :???:

I'm guessing you're talking about the dimple rake. Although the pick is so big I'm not sure I've ever seen a dimple lock with a keyway big enough for that thing to work.
<<

Neilau

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:31 pm

Yep, that's the one.

I also, would like to see the lock that it fits, let alone opens. :D
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:13 am

I have the GOSO 24pc set and I can confirm that the pick does not run the full length of the handle. It just has a short nub into the handle area (can't remember exact measurements off the top of my head - I'm writing some pick reviews at the moment but I definitely tested this one, with a magnet - it sticks for a short distance and then loses its magnetism, showing that the pick does not continue down the handle. Little trick I picked up somewhere on one of these forums :)).

Oldfast - I bought mine in the UK so my source isn't ideal for you, but I got mine from UKBumpKeys.
<<

rusirius

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Not to dig up an old thread... but well.. I guess I just did... So deal with it! :)

Anyway, I'd definitely agree with you OP. In fact, just recently I sparked quite a commotion on another site when I suggested that the GOSO stuff really wasn't that bad of a choice for a beginner.

I've got a variety of picks from various manufacturers. I've got a few petersons, sparrows, H&H, GOSO, etc... Now to be completely and totally honest, of all of them the sparrows (all mine except a couple specialty have dipped handles) are my absolute favorites. They are my goto grab when I want to pick something. But with that said, I still carry a couple of GOSO hooks in my case. And there have been times when the H&H set has helped with a few weird locks.

Do I think the GOSO set is the "beez neez" of pick sets? Of course not... But do I think it's a good place to start for someone that is just considering getting into the sport? Absolutely. It's $15 (here in the US) and to me, if I can try out a new hobby for $15 then I'm all in! If I really get into the hobby I'm no doubt going to contract Pick Acquisition Disorder and that $15 I spent on my first set will be a drop in the hat...
Next

Return to Product Reviews