FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

HPC Wallet Pickset

<<

cool-arrow

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:49 pm

HPC Wallet Pickset

Why would I buy this?

I have been meaning to purchase a back up pocket pick set for a while. I have owned the Southord jackknife plastic and metal as well as the LPT jack knife aluminum model and plastic model. I have also played with the HPC jack knife style pick set as well. They were all great and I was successful with all of them but what they lacked was the true back up necessity. I needed a real "oh shit" back up when the keys were locked in the car or a house. Usually I kept my jackknife style picks on my key chain and it was always bulky in my pocket. I really never used them as they were attached to my keys. Then I thought about the Kevin Mitnick style break away set but it had the obvious 1 time use factor. Then the 007 credit card hide away set, but it just seemed like a novelty item. After needing a new wallet and my usual wallet cost is about 3 times the cost of this set I figured why not give it a go.

Wallet Construction
First off it comes really nicely boxed and wrapped in tissue paper like real quality wallet comes in. The presentation is short lived by the thin low grade leather. The construction isn’t bad but the stitching is very thin. It is also single layered with no additional material added. It is oddly shaped slightly smaller than a standard size tri-fold. A credit card will only fit in the first stacked pocket. The rest will only fit a standard business card.

Pick Holder portion
The picks are held securely in place but there is not any backing to keep them from bowing. I improvised with the limited space and stuck my thickest card behind it to support the picks from bending. This worked really well and also gave the wallet the much needed support to keep its shape.

Picks
At first I noticed the picks were really thin compared to a regular pick. They felt like they were going to bend so I tried them out and they worked fine and didn’t bend at all they did flex a bit but sprung right back to shape. The handles are really nice and the rubber is comfortable and not over done. These are the same picks in the KGB belt set and I think Barry makes note of there quality in one of his conferences, so the picks are sturdy for more than a 1 time use.

Tension Wrench
The tension wrenches are similar to a Peterson flat but single sided. I may add a Peterson wrench in there because of the small teeth instead, but the originals fit fine in the set. They are very usable but I would like to put a thinner wrench in there since it comes with 2 of the same.

Overall
I would say not bad over all and if you do not have a lot of cards and stuff to carry it will work fine for a daily wallet. I had to reduce many extra cards I keep but my cell phone handled some of the burden. Not a bad little set for the price of around $50. I am thinking of scrapping the wallet because I prefer a Bi-fold and getting a custom one made. At least now the they can have an idea of what I want since I now have the picks. Maybe I will just carry spare keys in my wallet next time :)
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:23 am

Re: HPC Wallet Pickset

Cool idea, I haven't seen that before. I wanted it till I read about the wallet....

Do you have to be in the trade to buy HPC?
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:31 am

That HPC set you bought looks like a nice little set for emergency use. But as you found out, it's kind of a compromise situation isn't it?

I would be extremely nervous that if I carried this in my back pocket, I would sit my fat butt on them and break them. They'd go good with a jacket, tho.
:shock:

I've been looking at different methods to carry my stuff with me in an inconspicuos way - but I haven't been very successful.

Good review, BTW.
<<

GutterClown

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:55 am

HallisChalmers wrote:I've been looking at different methods to carry my stuff with me in an inconspicuos way - but I haven't been very successful.

Boot pouch.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:12 am

GutterClown wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:I've been looking at different methods to carry my stuff with me in an inconspicuos way - but I haven't been very successful.

Boot pouch.

Thanks GutterClown...
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:29 pm

Thanks for the awesome review! (woohoo) I've been thinking about getting a smaller pick-set (jackknife etc), now I'm very tempted to get this HPC wallet set.

Yeah... can hobbiest purchase these?
<<

cool-arrow

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:45 pm

I have seen them in a lot of online shops at inflated prices as all HPC stuff is sold online. I ordered them from my usual supplier in my last re-supply purchase.

Hallis
They do make a bi-fold version of the wallet that will hold full handled picks but it looks really clunky, might as well just carry a regular set. Another alternative is the KGB set by HPC is has the same picks but in a small belt pouch that if worn on the inside is very concealed.

I still think a custom made wallet with the same picks would be the best alternative. I will use it until it wears out and take the design to a leather shop and have a proper wallet made with a similar idea in mind.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:26 pm

cool-arrow wrote:
Hallis
They do make a bi-fold version of the wallet that will hold full handled picks but it looks really clunky, might as well just carry a regular set. Another alternative is the KGB set by HPC is has the same picks but in a small belt pouch that if worn on the inside is very concealed.

Ok...thanks...my wallet already makes me look live I've got an anal wart the size of a shoebox, so I don't think that will be the answer. I'll look at GutterClowns suggestion instead. :shock:
<<

C0mmanderCha0s

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:37 am

GutterClown wrote:

Boot pouch.

Any other ideas on carrying picks in an inconspicuous way? Not small picks but the normal or average sized ones.

What are your opinions on the Southern Specialties - Folding Pocket Pickset FPS-8

The body is machined from solid aluminum billet with the precision of a Swiss watch maker

The locking lever needs only to be pushed up 90 degrees to allow the 8 picks to drop down.When tightened the locking lever positively locks all picks so firmly that the tool can be used right side up or upside down.

We removed the pocket clip and added the #13 pick from our line up.We retained the Bull Nose turning tool and added our Feather Lite tool.The tool set comes with our # 2, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 and the #E6 pick installed.

Removal of the tension tool from its storage slot is accomplished with a simple push in the thumb slot,the tool will snap out into your hand.No broken thumb nails.

The 8 picks can be removed and changed in less than 30 seconds and requires no tools.

FPS -8 Folding Pocket Pickset
Comes with our # 2, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 and the #E6 pick installed.
Replacement picks and additional profiles can be ordered
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Great review!!!! I have one of these!!! I was concerned that it would be to thick to put in my pants but it isint. I was concerned about bowing of the picks too. That problem was easily fixed by putting a couple credit cards behind where the picks are like you did. I also took some of the picks without handles that came in my southord set (my first pickset) and cut them down and slipped them in behind the picks that came with the wallet. I measured, cut them, and wrapped the back ends in electrical tape. The wallet pickset didnt come with a city rake or a half diamond...so I made me a few extra picks to put in there and carry around with me...I've used the picks a few times just for fun and it works great, but I wouldnt use it everyday because I would be afraid to break one. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Riff on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:29 pm

What an excellent review cool arrow, H.p.c are top class picks and used by the pro's world wide - looks like the wallet type to.

Thanks very much for taking time out to post an excellent review (HAHA)
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:06 pm

I agree that emergency use picks are not a daily use item and create compromise. My approach was a SouthOrd jackknife pick set, modified the deep hook into a short hook. I found the Southern Specialties warded padlock pick set small double "t" to open most warded pdlks. Jackknife with one key on key chain looks innocent. The way to solve the screw loosening up is slightly overtighten with needle nose pliers to seat better. Then unscrew and hand tighten. Worked on mine. The Bogota picks stash neatly in wallet. It's a quest that never ends. . . :)
<<

PHatDriver

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:48 am

Like most who have seen this I wanted one too but had certain reservations.
Thanx for the review. Much appreciated.

As for ideas to carry full size picks around with you, I use a pen case with thick card glued inside.
You can get quite a few picks in there too:

08022010117.jpg

Not the best or ideal invention but works well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Product Reviews