FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Impressioning a Warded (Sterling Jr) Padlock

Forum rules
A section for neophytes learning the hobby!

Learn the requisite skills watching videos of other experienced members in action.

Post TUTORIAL videos only!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:31 pm

Impressioning a Warded (Sterling Jr) Padlock

Impressioning a Warded Padlock

A little slow at work this afternoon, so thought it might be good to make a quick tutorial on impressioning a warded padlock.

A simple warded lock is the easiest impressioning job you can try. The parts that will make the marks will not move. Either they are there or they are not.

Using a Sterling Jr padlock, as had one handy.

The key is just a flat piece of steel, so it will be easy to show the marks. Here is the keyway:

The parts and tools needed are few. Flat steel of the appropriate width and thickness (in this case, a wide wiper insert spring), a marker, and a file that can cut with the edge.

You can speed things up a little if you like:

:mrgreen:

Make sure your key blank fits.

Use the marker to darken the entire part of the blank that fits into the keyway that might possibly encounter a ward. Since this is a dual sided key, will simply mark all of it.

Put the blank into the lock, turn it until it stops turning. Keeping tension on the blank, move it up an down (in line with the keyway, not in and out) a few times.

Remove the blank and examine for where the wards have rubbed off the ink. Fast forwarded here and made a key, then made a second blank, so with the finished key alongside the blank just marked, you can see the marks more easily.

Note that not all of the wards left a mark. This is normal. File down where you see marks.

Since this is a dual sided key, copy the cuts on the other side.

Re-ink the key blank, insert, turn and wiggle, remove and re-examine. (fgar... oh, never mind. :roll: )

Two more in the lower middle section.

Duplicate your cuts to the other side.

Retest...

So close, but not quite. Only one tiny bit to go. File and retest.

Success!

Clean off the ink and lightly sand the cuts to remove the sharp edges. Just like sanding your picks to remove sharp edges, this will help the key work a bit more smoothly.

Finally, good luck!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:56 pm

Re: Impressioning a Warded (Sterling Jr) Padlock

Awesome write up Gordon. Now if only I could find my old master warded lock I could give this a go :)
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:08 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:A simple warded lock is the easiest impressioning job you can try....

I've never tried... so I rather enjoyed this and learned a little somethin'. One of those funny things I guess
where we start with something more difficult, then work our way down. C'mon, we've all done it. lol

Couple questions:
The markings... do they jump around like a pin tumbler does... to where you leave and revisit the cuts?
Have you tried a number of mediums, and if so, do you find a marker seems to give you the best results?

GWiens2001 wrote:Re-ink the key blank, insert, turn and wiggle, remove and re-examine. (fgar... oh, never mind. :roll: )
hahaaAAA! :rofl:
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Oldfast wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:Re-ink the key blank, insert, turn and wiggle, remove and re-examine. (fgar... oh, never mind. :roll: )

See? SEE?
I wonder what I did for you to have this image of me!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing Gordon. I don't think I have impressioned a warded lock too. But if I did, it was one of those where you file a fraction of an inch and it's done :razz:
You've been spoiling us with these tutorials, I can't wait to see more of this. Many thanks for taking the time to put this up!
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:02 pm

fgarci03 wrote:
Oldfast wrote:

See? SEE?
I wonder what I did for you to have this image of me!!! :mrgreen:

What did you do? You were - and continue to be - a good man and a good friend.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Tutorials