FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How to modify a KW1 blank to fit a Lockwood V7

Forum rules
A section for neophytes learning the hobby!

Learn the requisite skills watching videos of other experienced members in action.

Post TUTORIAL videos only!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:31 pm

How to modify a KW1 blank to fit a Lockwood V7

How to modify a KW1 to work in a Lockwood V7

I don't think of this as a tutorial as much as how I modified the key to fit. Did not list specs as to how much to file the warding, because that will vary depending upon the actual keyway. This modified key works perfectly in two of the three V7s I got from Rodmdx, the the third lock has a slightly different keyway. The third lock will only require a slight bit more filing of the wards to work, but that will be on a different blank, since this blank is already working.

Don’t have any Lockwood V7 blanks, so taking a tip from LocksmithArmy, I tried modifying a KW1 blank. I started by picking, then field stripping the lock, so that I could more easily see the modifications needed using just the key and the plug. Used a cheap-donkeyed set of diamond needle files from Harbor Freight to make the modifications, which allow better control than a dremel tool.

Below are the measurements I took with my cheap micrometer comparing only the differences between the KW1 and the modified KW1 blanks. I have included both forms of measurement for people in more places. If the specification is not listed, I did not change it.
Normal KW1 Modified KW1

Blade length from shoulder to tip:
1.095” (27.81mm) 1.108” (28.15mm)

Blade Height:

.335” (8.51mm) .306” (7.77mm) trimmed on top AND bottom!!!

Bottom ward:

.024” (.60mm) .015” (.40mm)

Shoulder to first bitting on V7: .236” (5.98mm)
Distance between bittings: .125” (3.17mm)

NOTES:

The length of the blade from shoulder should be longer, but as the seventh pin was a deep cut, I let it ride on the ramp at the tip of the key. Yes, that is a no-no for locks in actual use, but it works beautifully for my toy that will never see the wear of a lock in use.

I increased the length of the blade by filing back the shoulders of the key.

Filed bevels on the parts highlighted below:

Good luck to all,

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Re: How to modify a KW1 blank to fit a Lockwood V7

GW' that's excellent mate thankyou very much ! now all i need is to find out what a kw1 key normally is used for , quoting kw1 to my local hardware store won't get me anything other than a "blank stare " lol
Open Sez Me !
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm

KW1 is the standard key for a 5 pin Kwikset lock here in the U.S. Probably should use a KW11, as I think that is for a 6 pin lock (that should work fine for the 7 pin Lockwood if I made the KW1 work). If you can't get any, PM me, and I'll send you a couple. It will be much faster if you can get them there, as it seems to take 2 - 2 1/2 weeks to ship from here to there.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:56 am

GWiens2001 wrote:Don’t have any Lockwood V7 blanks, so taking a tip from LocksmithArmy, I tried modifying a KW1 blank

You mean the tip you got from your friendly neighborhood NNFAK? I posted a thread about modifying a KW1 to fit a Lockwood V7 a bit ago... unless LSA beat me too it! http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=7508

Awesome tutorial though man! Your key looks WAY better than mine did!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:22 am

NNFAK wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:Don’t have any Lockwood V7 blanks, so taking a tip from LocksmithArmy, I tried modifying a KW1 blank

You mean the tip you got from your friendly neighborhood NNFAK? I posted a thread about modifying a KW1 to fit a Lockwood V7 a bit ago... unless LSA beat me too it! http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=7508

Awesome tutorial though man! Your key looks WAY better than mine did!

:agree:

I saw both posts over time. When writing this, I wanted to give credit, rather than implyimg that the idea was my own. So I used the search function, and LSA's topic came up first, and forgetting that there was more than one than one topic, did not look further.

Therefore credit (and thanks) to NNFAK as well for the great idea.

There are some fantastic minds here, with abilities and experiences I can only aspire to. My thanks to all of you who share their knowledge so willingly with the rest of us.

Gordon

Return to Tutorials