FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Key made for Slaymaker lever padlock

Forum rules
A section for neophytes learning the hobby!

Learn the requisite skills watching videos of other experienced members in action.

Post TUTORIAL videos only!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Key made for Slaymaker lever padlock

Slaymaker Lever Padlock Key Made

Received this lock with a bunch of others free. No keys, and they were going to throw them out.  Who would want a dozen old locks with no keys?  I mean aside from me?

When I got it, the plug would not turn. 

Turned it over, and saw there was glue. :evil:

Used a dental pick to carefully remove the glue as best I could, then a tension wrench to get the plug turning easily. 

Cut some brass stock of the proper width so there would be a tab a the tip to keep the key aligned. 

Marked the brass where it needed to be bent...

Then used a vice, a large punch and a small hammer to make the needed bends.

Test fit, and correct the angles until the key blank fits into the keyway smoothly. 

OK, the key turns in the lock!

Time to impression the key. :-D. Mark the top and side of the blank with a marker.  

Turn the key until it stops. Remove the key blank and look for impressions. One seen here near the middle. 

Cut where you see the impression marks only

Use the marker to cover the fresh brass cut. Reinsert the key, turn until it stops. Remove and reinspect. 

Cut where you see impression marks. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

Second cutting of the only mark I have seen and the key now works!

Now shape the key bow as you see fit. 

Nice shiny new key for an old grubby Slaymaker.  It is now a working lock once again. :-)

Done!

Just a note on the lock itself. See how there is a notch in the shackle toe for the locking dog to hold the shackle?

Well look into the lock where the toe of the shackle fits...

Nothing! :shock: All the locking is from the heel side of the shackle. :lol:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:46 am

Re: Key made for Slaymaker lever padlock

Sweet little key!
This is one of the most rewarding parts of locksmithing for me, restoring old stuff. Or in this case, making a key so it's "whole" again.
<<

rzr800

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:25 am

That's nice work. Where do you get brass stock like that at?
<<

Altashot

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:44 am

Beautiful!
Beautiful work indeed.
I like the way you bent it with the "punch". Creative and effective.
You use marker, I smoke them with a poor quality sooty candle or a Zippo.
You are becoming quite the 'Smith here my friend! Can't wait to see what you'll do next. Each one is better than the last.
I also like the stubby key, in the shape of a G.
Was that on purpose? I mean the "G".
Gordon!?

M.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:13 am

@rzr800 - think that brass stock came from an Ace Hardware. Got it to make a blank for a motorcycle a while back.

@Altashot - the "g" shape was entirely accidental. Had not even noticed it until you pointed it out. And thank you for the compliment on "becoming quite the smith". Comming from you, that is very strong praise. Love some of the work you have posted - you are quite the inspiration!

As for the lock itself, and why I would spend so long to make a nice key for it... I hate to see something useful go to waste. A nice old lock such as this going to to the garbage almost makes me want to cry. It also gives me a challenge to work on. :mrgreen:

Also, wrote that I used a punch to bend the key blade, but actually used some aluminum stock so it would not mar the blade. Cut some angled aluminum stock that I got for another (failed) project a while back to line the vice jaws so the brass would not have impressions from the teeth of the vice jaws.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:05 pm

My my Gordon, you just dont stop amazing me. Great work buddy. Ill be reaching out to be on a few antique locks that I have stumbled upon and the ideas I have. I havent seen these locks before so maybe they are rare but youll get first peek :)
<<

Lauren

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:36 pm

There was a style of padlocks once produced, often known as "Power Lever" that depicts these type of padlocks, and they were extremely cheeply made and are easy to pick open. Notice the toe of the hasp in this Slaymaker padlock. It has a notched end. There is no locking mechanism or bolt that engages the toe. It was a feature that gives the lock more of a secure look. The lock contain one large piece of spring steel that is concaved. The key is designed to flex the spring steel, causing the metal to shrink or displace. The shrinkage releases the heel of the hasp. All of these locks are made the same way. Security was altered by changing the key way pattern among various brands and models.
Last edited by Lauren on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

HT4

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

escher7

Post Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:46 pm

Nice Gord. Is that Lauren I see looking over his shoulder?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:33 am

Lauren can look over my shoulder anytime. Would love to look over Lauren's shoulder as the lock and key magic is performed.

Gordon
<<

escher7

Post Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:08 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Lauren can look over my shoulder anytime. Would love to look over Lauren's shoulder as the lock and key magic is performed.

Gordon

That is my point; you obviously learned this stuff somewhere! His posts have inspired everyone interested in old padlocks and you appear to have the bug.

Return to Tutorials