FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Simple raking technique

Forum rules
A section for neophytes learning the hobby!

Learn the requisite skills watching videos of other experienced members in action.

Post TUTORIAL videos only!
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:50 pm

Simple raking technique

This technique was shown to me by a journeyman locksmith in 1974. The required tools are a short hook and tension wrench, any wrench that will fit the keyway and bind the pins. The hook can be switched with a half diamond for smaller keyways. Place hook at rear of keyway under pins and insert tension wrench to turn cylinder in unlocking direction. With light tension applied pull pick straight out of lock with gentle upward pressure. Start with lightest touch 2 to 4 times, release tension and redo with heavier pressure on both tools. Now to the actual lesson. Keep doing this over and over, and it will force you to feel the pins and learn correct tension in the shortest amout of time. Now you have a raking technique to compliment the singe pin picking technique that you must master before you get lazy with any bad habits. Like all those haphazard favorites that we all tend to use from time to time. By raking back to front with a hook you will be raking and not scrubbing a lock. Concentrate on the technique. Repeat often and soon the feel of the pins binding as well as feel of the tension wrench turning/releasing will become second nature. I hope this helps.
<<

barbarian

Post Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Simple raking technique

Sounds like a good technique to use..

Also helps check for stuck pins or crud in the lock.
<<

Josh K

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:30 am

Raking with a hook? :?

Why not simply use a S-rake or a half diamond? You get the same benefits without using a pick that's more likely to hand up in the lock.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:06 pm

Josh K wrote:Raking with a hook? :?

Why not simply use a S-rake or a half diamond? You get the same benefits without using a pick that's more likely to hand up in the lock.

For me, when I rake like this, I find a short hook is best because it allows you to feel the pins better than an S-rake or a diamond, I have never had a short hook hang up, if you do it may be the brand of picks you use, or they need to be deburred.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 pm

This is the first technique I learned. I always found it easier to rake with a shorthook since you can actually feel the pins. As long as you dont use to much pressure on your wrench you shouldnt have any hangups. I didnt rake with a snake or half diamond until way after I started picking. I also used to do a hybrid raking/spp when I first started. I'd rake with a short hook a couple times with light tension like you described and/or if that didnt open the lock I would work my shorthook SLIGHTLY (slightly so you dont overset anything) upwards and downwards working from back to front. Always being careful that my pick stayed underneath the pins. Basically just hoping that the pins that I didnt set by raking with my shorthook the first couple of swipes, I would get with the working of the shorthook up and down/in and out. Thanks for the post Jailersmith. :mrgreen:
<<

usmcboltaction

Funny Guy/Bouncer

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:20 pm

Josh K wrote:Raking with a hook? :?

Learning to do the job with the simplest and least amount of tools is, IMHO, one of the basic lessons of life. Most jobs can be done with a just good short hook and a tension wrench. Learning this comes in handy when you break your one snake rake, or if you just want to tote around the least amount of gear. I honestly find myself rakin with the hook 9 times out of 10 anyway.

Just a lil thought from your Uncle Buck...
<<

Warder

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:56 pm

jailersmith wrote:With light tension applied pull pick straight out of lock with gentle upward pressure.

OK, so the lock is now in false... Next step?
<<

Josh K

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Warder wrote:
jailersmith wrote:With light tension applied pull pick straight out of lock with gentle upward pressure.

SPP it, or lighten up the tension and keep raking.
<<

Warder

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:12 pm

Josh K wrote:
Warder wrote:

I was looking for the expanded simple raking technique. I understand how to SPP, but my question was directed at the specific technique described here. Would the next rake be angled from a high-back, or a rocking motion? Slower after in false set or faster? a Midway lube-8 addition? :lol: Shake the whole unit(if possible)? Alternate to a deeper or shallower hook or snake or other?
These are the kinds of suggestions I was looking for after a false set. I was just wondering what the 1974 locksmith was saying, is all.

Peace.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Usually, when you use a raking technique, and it brings you too a false set you then need to go in with a short hook and set the unset pins, usually only one or two then it will open, unless there are pins that are overset, in that case it is often necessary to start over. No need to make it any more complicated, nothing fancy needed!!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Josh K

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Warder wrote:
Josh K wrote:
Warder wrote:

I was looking for the expanded simple raking technique. I understand how to SPP, but my question was directed at the specific technique described here. Would the next rake be angled from a high-back, or a rocking motion? Slower after in false set or faster? a Midway lube-8 addition? :lol: Shake the whole unit(if possible)? Alternate to a deeper or shallower hook or snake or other?
These are the kinds of suggestions I was looking for after a false set. I was just wondering what the 1974 locksmith was saying, is all.

Peace.

Ah, then excuse my comments. :)

Return to Tutorials