FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Any tips on improving my SPP technique?

Forum rules
A section for neophytes learning the hobby!

Learn the requisite skills watching videos of other experienced members in action.

Post TUTORIAL videos only!
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Any tips on improving my SPP technique?

Hey guys.

I feel I have a very good understanding of what's going on inside locks when picking them, and I've seen a lot of tips and tricks (mainly in LSS+) for single pin picking. However, I still have trouble actually putting it into practise and I feel it has to do with my overall technique.

Here's a quick vid of me picking a rim cylinder for you to critique - things you should know about this lock are that it's pretty old, and the springs are a bit stiff. This helps me out a lot though, as I'm never sure when I'm actually on a pin when it comes to brand spanking new ones with really light springs. The only reason I know it has 5 spools is because the locksmith I got it from showed me after gutting it one day... so I need to work on figuring that stuff out as well. Anyway, on with the video. I've seen a few guys on youtube and their technique is really smooth with very little hand movement, so this may be painful for you to watch. ;)

What I wanna know from you guys is, judging by the video, is there anything really wrong with how I'm doing things? I know it's all personal preference when it comes to holding the pick etc, but yeah. I wanna point out that I was on a time constraint as my camera only records for 90 seconds... I'm usually more careful than this. :P

What I'm doing is rolling the pin back over the pins from back to front and stopping when I'm right underneath each one, then pushing up. I find it easy enough with this one as the springs are a bit stiff, so any tips or exercises I should do to improve my technique with newer locks? Also, I skip over pins which feel like they're set but from time to time I push up on those as well, just incase they're falsely set.

Criticism is more than welcome... I definately need it, cos I'm used to people telling me I'm good at it and that's one of the things stopping me from really putting the effort in to refine my technique. Thanks in advance, everyone!
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:28 pm

Re: Any tips on improving my SPP technique?

Well, I don't see much wrong, everybody has there own way of picking so don't worry about how everybody else is doing it in youtube, however these videos do help. The only thing I will hit on is that you seem to be a little heavy handed, but that gets better in time, just lighten up a tad bit, also sometimes you lose a little feedback by holding your finger out so far on the shank of your pick, it's ok to put a finger there but if you pull it in closer to the handle your feedback will improve a little, but it's mostly just preference.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:39 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:Well, I don't see much wrong, everybody has there own way of picking so don't worry about how everybody else is doing it in youtube, however these videos do help. The only thing I will hit on is that you seem to be a little heavy handed, but that gets better in time, just lighten up a tad bit, also sometimes you lose a little feedback by holding your finger out so far on the shank of your pick, it's ok to put a finger there but if you pull it in closer to the handle your feedback will improve a little, but it's mostly just preference.

Cool. I always concentrate on how much tension I'm applying and try to keep it to a minimum, but yeah, I was definately using more than necessary here. The tolerances allow for it, so my mind was wandering more to what I was doing with the pick. I realise that's not a good habit, so I'll definately take that on board and make sure to concentrate more.

As for the wrench, I usually apply bottom tension for this lock but I misplaced my fave tensioner and none of the others I have fit the bottom and give me the same amount of room to work with as it does. This is one of the few top of keyway tensioners I use, and as you can tell, I don't use them much. :)
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:41 pm

You are levering. Prying off the keyway warding. It's something experienced pickers say you shouldn't do, but when in Rome... I do the same when it is conveniant, but at least practice a techique that has you using your flesh as a fulcrum to aid with feedback and possible counter rotational forces from you bracing your pick against a side of the keyway that adds to your tensioning force. It might give you a blister to practice, but it will reduce the stress on your tools, and increase the feedback. The ultimate goal is to pick without coming into contact with anything but the pins.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Thanks, Tooly. I've been told that levering is a no-no, so I try not to do it. I find lifting pins fairly easy, but if I don't have the pick in a really solid position I find it slipping off the pins and it becomes more of a rocking technique... hence the temptation to lever.

So, I use a levering action while trying not to contact the wards, and that's what you see me attempting to do. I find myself slipping into bad habits and levering off the wards though, because that's what i've always been used to doing... having to do it in 90 seconds put a bit of pressure on me aswell. :x

I can see exactly whare I'm going wrong in that respect, so it's just a matter of fixing it and keeping it fixed long enough that I actually keep it that way.
<<

GutterClown

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:09 am

Win more.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:53 am

I'm winning more than ever now thanks to you, gutterclown. You are wise beyond your years. :mrgreen:

Return to Tutorials