FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Gematic

<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:07 am

Gematic

At first glance, this appears to be just an 8 pin tubluar lock. I haven't seen a photo break down of this one. It is a clever and simple design that words don't clearly describe. The Gematic is easily identified by it's numbered face 1-8.

This is a user rekeyable lock. Each one would have 8 possible keys, and a master change key to switch between them.

Even if you lost 4 of these keys, as long as you retain the master change key they can be recut without taking the lock apart. Pretty cool

Now, as for how this works, there is always a dead pin in position 1, and there is a master ring operated by the master change key. It is the darker of the two rings on holding the key pins. This ring turns independantly of the post, and so only the operating key turning the whole assembly opens the lock.

The lower disk is the portion that's makes up the depths of the second shearline, and it has no through chamber in position 1, so this pin is always inactive. The width of this second disk would be the depth increase in all positions of any operating key except for the first position.

And that gentlemen, is where this locks operation escaped me. I had this idea in my head about how I know Stephen Hampton said you could lock out individual employees and using your master key to do so. How, how, ahhhhh! It's so obvious now that I have it apart in my hand I'm embarassed. You lock them out before their shift by changing the operating biting to the next shifts bitting. :lol:

You might not ever see one of these old beauties, and if not, then I hope you at least found this interesting.

-Tooly
<<

bezza1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:34 am

Re: Gematic

hay ive got 1 of these baby's but ive only got 1 key
keep going dont look back allways achive your goals
and follow your dreams................
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:14 am

Hey thanks for sharing...never ran across one yet..
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:26 am

Excellent write-up and pictures as usual Tooly !!!! How difficult will it be to decode and make the change key and the 8 operating keys for it????
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:03 am

Never seen one, is i ever do - ill come back to this post for sure,
Thanks tooly - excellent write up :)
<<

barbarian

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:18 am

Very nice post..

Thanks for sharing those pictures with us..
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Go to Walmart...You'll see these on the Electronics Dept. showcases.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:15 pm

was in kmart elect. dept and saw these tonight...just never really paid attention i guess
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:52 pm

Nice breakdown! Thanks!
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks y'all!!! Just glad to see there is some interest.

I thought I read somewhere Fort lock stopped producing these over 20 years ago, and that Change-matic by Chicago lock were the new ones with an identical outward appearance. But Fort is still making them :oops: Even though Marc Tobias says in LSS+ the Gematic takes less keys to operate, I can't find a source that has them described any differently. The only diagram I can find of the Change-Matic is actually a GEM! Can you clear this up magician59?

From the LSS:
"Although the Gematic resembles
the Chicago Lock changeable system, it is somewhat simpler to
operate and only requires two keys."

KokomoLock wrote:How difficult will it be to decode and make the change key and the 8 operating keys for it????

Not really difficult since it's basically all the same key, save the one spot...
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:10 pm

A different one today. This one has the pins in line with the numbers instead of in between. Ball bearing in the post, and some kind of dead pin thing happening with the pin behind it when it's locked. Though all the pins seem free after the bearing is depressed, then the post will turn 1 position and engage tension on the lock. Does a nice job of keeping out a tubular pick, or any ol' standard tublular key. I assume that's what the function is for.
edit:forgot the photo

Return to Tubular Locks