FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Targus DEFCON MKL (master key lock)

<<

Mcof

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:12 am

Targus DEFCON MKL (master key lock)

Picked this up at a thrift store for pennies.

Thought it was your average tubular until I saw the pins.

Turns out it's a fairly economical master key pack from Targus. Instead of splitting up the pins internally they've cut a step into the top pins. Presumably I have the user key which is cut normally to interface with the pins' centers. The master key would have small grooves so as to only interface with the outer radius.

A potential advantage is that there is only one potential sheer line, so picking it (completely blind) would be the same as a non-mastered lock of similar quality. I say potential because just looking at the stepped pins tells you their upper limit. Additionally, to accommodate the key space and master, non-stepped pins will tend to have a deeper set.

So that's without a key. A glance at the lock with a key tells you the master bitting. All it would take to turn a user key into a master is two slivers of 0.0092 aluminum flashing (or equivalent) and a dremel.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:39 am

Re: Targus DEFCON MKL (master key lock)

Cool. Had not seen that before. Will have to check one out.

Thanks! Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Lauren

Post Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:05 am

Re: Targus DEFCON MKL (master key lock)

This does not say much about the amount of bit combinations with two visible stepped pins.

Return to Tubular Locks