FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

WTB: A-1 carbide cutter HG1-605C & TB5 Corbin Russwin block

<<

8core

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:39 pm

WTB: A-1 carbide cutter HG1-605C & TB5 Corbin Russwin block

Looking to purchase a couple discontinued parts by A-1 Security. Yes, I know they're out of business and that it's not likely to find these parts. But, maybe you have new/old stock or used parts collecting dust somewhere.

-- (HG1-605C) replacement Carbide Cutter for the Herty Gerty HG-1

https://www.locksmithledger.com/keys-to ... ide-cutter

-- (TB5) multipurpose fixture/block for servicing Corbin Russwin LFIC

https://www.locksmithledger.com/keys-to ... -model-tb5

Thanks much.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:42 pm

Re: WTB: A-1 carbide cutter HG1-605C & TB5 Corbin Russwin bl

You could try Gilraytools.com. 989-892-6870. In Michigan
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:45 pm

IIRC it was a standard milling type cutter, you may have luck on a machining group with finding a suitable replacement.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:47 pm

I know it's not the same but Major does make this https://www.majormfg.com/pc-441-60-cyli ... -core.aspx
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:47 pm

bitbuster wrote:You could try Gilraytools.com. 989-892-6870. In Michigan

Mark has retired, GilRay is gone.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

8core

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:40 pm

I appreciate the responses. Shame on Gilraytools, but I'll take some measurements on the cutter and look into sourcing an alternate.

jeffmoss26 wrote:I know it's not the same but Major does make this https://www.majormfg.com/pc-441-60-cyli ... -core.aspx

And yeah -- the Major option looks like the best of the currently available blocks for Corbin Russwin LIFC. The A-1 would be ideal though. Thanks for the tip.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:34 am

https://ibb.co/y85JHJC no size looks like for reference.
It's for the Herty Gerty hand held tubular cutters.
What's the Standard size on these as klom made one as well .

Ringo
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:53 am

10ringo10 wrote:https://ibb.co/y85JHJC no size looks like for reference.
It's for the Herty Gerty hand held tubular cutters.
What's the Standard size on these as klom made one as well .

Ringo

IIRC, it is 5mm diameter. Not sure on the length, and I'm not going to remove mine to measure the length as that would require me to re-calibrate it.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Visitor

Post Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:46 pm

Is the cutter just a slot drill or end mill? Maybe a standard 5mm milling cutter will suffice? If its too long you can carefully grind it shorter or if its too short look into a long series cutter.
Cutters can also be resharpened you just need to find someone with a tool grinder (unfortunately for you I dismantled mine and am turning it into a cnc milling machine lol), most cutter companies can point you in the right direction.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:58 pm

Visitor wrote:Is the cutter just a slot drill or end mill? Maybe a standard 5mm milling cutter will suffice? If its too long you can carefully grind it shorter or if its too short look into a long series cutter.
Cutters can also be resharpened you just need to find someone with a tool grinder (unfortunately for you I dismantled mine and am turning it into a cnc milling machine lol), most cutter companies can point you in the right direction.

It is a flush cut end mill. Looks just like the picture.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Visitor

Post Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:02 pm

My bad, the link wouldn't load for me the first time I looked and I didn't try again. It works now though. It's a weird beast for sure but if it was me I would try an endmill and go from there.
If its just blunt a careful session with a stone might revive it.
<<

8core

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:04 am

Follow up thought on replacing the Herty Gerty cutter:

Could an HPC replacement cutter be a drop in solution? Probably not, but presumably the business end of the HPC cutters might be similar to the non-existent A-1 cutters. The cutters for the HPC Scotsman Duplicode/cut machines (part number HPC 22-01) appear similar. Or perhaps a replacement cutter for the HPC TKM-90 Pocket Cut-Up which is cut in half to length?

I've never actually used any of these three HPC machines though and do not have their cutters to take measurements. This harebrained idea is probably just that, but maybe some of you with experience on the HPC tubular machines might know better.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:23 am

8core wrote:Follow up thought on replacing the Herty Gerty cutter:

Could an HPC replacement cutter be a drop in solution? Probably not, but presumably the business end of the HPC cutters might be similar to the non-existent A-1 cutters. The cutters for the HPC Scotsman Duplicode/cut machines (part number HPC 22-01) appear similar. Or perhaps a replacement cutter for the HPC TKM-90 Pocket Cut-Up which is cut in half to length?

I've never actually used any of these three HPC machines though and do not have their cutters to take measurements. This harebrained idea is probably just that, but maybe some of you with experience on the HPC tubular machines might know better.

It probably would work.

Gordon
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:04 am

Downloaded a national locksmith pdf this morning which as the Hand held tubular cutters in
The hpc and klom cutters look the same in Shape and design ..but price wise there worlds apart .
Interesting reading from the archive's from 2002 Feb issue fyi.
HPC are Expensive compared to the kloms I have to say ....copy paste which came first as there not identical.

Assuming the hpc and klom cutters are copies of each other ....maybe the blade or end mill used are same size
So it would make perfect sense to check this out first before making a decision on blade to buy ..cut in half or not !
A klom hand held cutter with blade is the same cost as the hpc New blade ... Just a thought moving forward.
Tried to find a replacement cutter on Ali for the klom ..but could not find one or any details .
Good chance there different ..but not ruled out yet.
so what's the diameter of the klom end mill straight cut blade ! On the tubular hand held cutter.

Update . Try a 5 mm spiral hand reamer hss with parallel shank with correct cutting hand left or right
Cut or shorten it on the business end with a cut off blade leaving just enough to cut the tubular key to depth

I've seen a vid today and sure the guy as one fitted in is hpc Tubular cutter that had been modified
The blade on the Ilco 16ct tubular cutter Blade for the Taylor spirals .
But a straight reamer miller cutter should work Just as good ..the amount of flutes got me at first lol.

"The National Locksmith : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive" https://archive.org/details/NationalLoc ... 2/mode/1up

Tubular key codes ..that's another subject And cam lock systems 10 pin T and T8 octagonal series.
( with no blanks available ) the old 7 pins seems like a breeze .

Good luck

Ringo
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:59 pm

10ringo10 wrote:Downloaded a national locksmith pdf this morning which as the Hand held tubular cutters in
The hpc and klom cutters look the same in Shape and design ..but price wise there worlds apart .
HPC are Expensive compared to the kloms I have to say ....copy paste which came first as there not identical.

Good luck

Ringo

Unfortunately you really got what you paid for. A Herty Gerty was the best you could get and Klom is junk in comparison. I have heard a lot of complaints about them not cutting correctly, or even cutting all the way through the key instead of making a partial cut. Also seems to be quite unwieldy in design.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Next

Return to Buy, Sell & Trade