FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

A little help from hot glue

<<

ZeroSumGame

Post Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:50 pm

A little help from hot glue

Hi all,
Newly registered user, long time lurker. I thought you might enjoy this "uncommon tool".

The way these wafer locks work is they screw onto a threaded rod that runs down through the center of the machine. The lock holds the top down.

Once you pick the lock, you can only turn it a quarter of a turn before the wafers reset. This means you'd have to pick it around 40 times or so. So, we turned it 1/8th of a turn. Then we used a heat gun to warm up the lock. We used a big cut-off wheel to act as a heat-sink to protect the top plate. The hole in the middle of the wheel is almost the exact same size as the lock cylinder. Then we squirted in some hot glue to freeze the wafers in place and jammed a tool in there for a handle. A couple of jokes and half a beer later, and the lock unscrewed without issue. We were able to pull the entirety of the glue out in one blob and the locks still work fine. They will live on as teaching locks.

I hope you found this as entertaining as we did.

Much like the LPL, we also enjoy getting into beavers.
dfhfdfgsdf.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:43 pm

Re: A little help from hot glue

Neat trick!
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:57 pm

Nicely done! Some locks require repeated picking but your example is quite a different level. I don't know much about hot glue usage, but you heated the lock so the glue gets in deep enough?
My youtube channel: https://youtube.com/c/edocdab
<<

ZeroSumGame

Post Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:37 pm

edocdab wrote:Nicely done! Some locks require repeated picking but your example is quite a different level. I don't know much about hot glue usage, but you heated the lock so the glue gets in deep enough?

That's correct. The glue would just harden at the top of the keyway otherwise.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:21 pm

The old school trick is to use a candle. Pick it like above, then light the candle and drop the melting wax into the keyway. Give it a minute to cool, then spin off the lock.

The advantage of using a candle is that you can use a solvent or cleaner to remove the wax and the lock is fine. Hot glue, I'd suspect the lock would probably have to be replaced.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

ZeroSumGame

Post Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:18 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Hot glue, I'd suspect the lock would probably have to be replaced.

Gordon

Nope. Like I said, the glue came right out and locks were just fine. They're wafers though. I have no idea about pins or anything else, but I was surprised at how well it worked and how easy it was to remove.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Glad it works for you. One more thing to add to my store of lock techniques. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Uncommon Tools!