FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Diamond Wire

<<

phredt

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:25 pm

Diamond Wire

Not, strictly speaking, a lock picking question, but i've noticed that many vendors that sell picks also sell diamond wire (example). I can definitely see how these would be useful, but i don't understand how you're supposed to use them. It's not like you can just grip the wire with your hands and saw. Does anyone have any advice on getting some sort of saw handle thing for holding the wire to use it?
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Diamond Wire

you can use it as a broken key extractor.
I have some in my survival kit that I keep with my fishing gear. (i just wrapped one side with some electrical tape)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:16 pm

If someone is tied up with rope, duct tape, cable ties/flexcuffs, it's one of several ways to zip through those types of restraints.
You could use it to help fashion other improvised tools.
Or spend 20 years filing through the bars of your cell...
<<

phredt

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:09 pm

MBI wrote:Or spend 20 years filing through the bars of your cell...

I tried that once. It's not all it's cracked up to be.
<<

NKT

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:38 am

You (I) can (have) also use it for cutting hardened steel, working on antique warded keys, deburring things including sorting out chips in crockery, and yes, even home dentistry. YMMV.
<<

NovaPick

Post Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:30 am

It's sole purpose is an escape aide to cut metal. While you may find out other uses for it, it is sold for this purpose.

Sometimes you see carbide versions, which brought to mind the fact that you can buy long carbide blades for jigsaws; it is likely the diamond escape version comes in a similar form as all the escape versions do not have well finished ends and are clearly cut from longer stock.
<<

Visitor

Post Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:09 am

It was invented, developed and sold to cut stone, marble etc, mainly in industry for cutting it into manageble pieces once quarried but often used on machines for cutting things like counter tops.
It was later developed to also cut metal a great example being when they cut the front end of the sunken submarine the kursk.
As an escape aid its pretty useless and very doubtful its ever been sold as such especially due to the obvious lack of customers expecting to be in a position to need such an item.
Possibly sold by lockpick vendors as lockpick wholesale reps probably just push extra products and these wires being a cheap money maker they are trying to clear. Very simular situation to those wire saws nearly all survival stores sell but no real survivalist actually uses.
<<

NovaPick

Post Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:55 pm

Visitor wrote:As an escape aid its pretty useless and very doubtful its ever been sold as such especially.

You don't seem to have an understanding of OSS tools.
Similar such tools were put in belt buckles and eye glasses.

Wire saws were used by OSS as well. More recent ones were actually bone saws repurposed. I guess the USAF are not real survivalist and the wire saw in their kits are just there for added weight. Yes, most wire saw models out there are crap but also most people don't know how to use them. When something is better than nothing, you are happy to have something. If you ever need to file through a steel cage, attack the hasp first as it is often softer than the hardened shackle of the lock.
<<

Visitor

Post Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:58 am

:lol:

Return to Uncommon Tools!