FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Polymer Pick Handles

<<

PickForge

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Polymer Pick Handles

Gentlemen,

TL;DR

get sculpey
roll sheets
cut scales
bake scales
attach with epoxy
?????
profit.

Step 1. get the stuff....
pictured below is my ghettofab handle fabrication station. it consists of a cookie sheet, aluminium foil and a pasta roller! if you dont have a pasta roller I picked one up for this project for around $35, you could also use a rolling pin.

you will also need sculpey clay softener, I learned this the hard way, if you do not use this stuff you end up with air
bubbles and other weirdness going on inside the clay that you cannot see until you start sanding... it's ~$6

and finally Sculpey!! there are a lot of polymer clays out there I prefer Sculpey III for my pick handles. it gives a pretty good hardness while still being workable plus they offer a ton of colors.

final finally, gloves. just cheap latex ones work, the softener makes stuff get messy.

Step 2!! knead that stuff.
I didn't take any pictures of step 2 as I had gloves on and they were covered in sculpey slim.
but the jist of it, use you hands and the roller to knead in the softener into the clay, when you first open the packet the clay is kind of crumbly. we want it to get it some where between a play-do and silly putty consistency for the 2oz block of clay I used 6-8 drops total to get the clay moving right.

Step 3. roll that stuff
again not many pictures here right now. but Step 3 is form sheets!! this is where that pasta roller earns that $35 take the softened clay and run it through the roller a couple of time until you end up with a nice even sheet of clay. most pasta rollers have a thickness setting and a bonus the setting for fettuccine is right around 1/8" which is prefect IMO for handles to start. roll sheets, cut of excess and you end up with...

Step 4. cut that stuff
once you have your sheet. time to start cutting "scales", the sharper the knife the better and a ceramic knife might work better as it may be a bit more "slippery" through the clay. if the knife is dull or the clay sticks it will deform the sheet slowly with each cut. I use a pick blank as my guide/straight edge for cutting the scales, leaving about 1/16-2/16" over hang on each side.

Step 5! bake it.
follow the instructions based on your clay although honestly the sculpey instructions kinda suck for this and I semi wing it. 275f for about 10-12 minutes seems to work really well for me.

Step 6. out of the oven.
once out of the oven and cooled!(it is a bit brittle right out of the oven) you can snap apart your cut sheet. and you'll end up with a pile of scales.

Step 7. drill and prep.
Alright, at this point we have a nice stack of polymer scales and a pick shaped and ready to handles. I like to add rivets just because I like the look, they are not needed though so drilling is optional. if drilling I use the pick as a template for the holes in the scales, I used 1/16" carbide bit and dremel with drill press stand. use a fine tip sharpie make to mark the holes, drill them out then I use a carbide cutting bit on the dremel to counter sink.

Step 8. rough sand / scuff surface.
I take a 180 grit diamond coated file and rough up the surface of the pick where the handle will be attached. then I take 220 grit sanding screen and sand the inside of the scale, I also fold the screen over a few times to sand a shallow trough down the center of the scale to give a little more surface for the epoxy to grip.

Step 9. JB Weld! / epoxy
I love this stuff, this and duct tape holds the world together. I use JB Weld "original" cold set formula. you dont need a lot, use cut down street sweep bristles for mixing sticks, take a bead of epoxy and drag it down the center of the scale then I go back and evenly cover the surface. do this for both scales.

Step 10. Assemble and wait....
assemble the pick/scale sandwich, hammer rivets clamp the pick down and then wait... with the jb weld I let it set over night/ 12 hours before shaping.

Step 11. Power sanding.
Once the epoxy is set I take my dremel with a 220 grit sanding drum to get rid of all the extra material and epoxy from the top and bottom of the pick, I then use the dremel to clean up the rivets and go over the sides just to even things out a little.

Step 12. shaping and more sanding.
this is just finishing now, I like to round off all the edges of the handle for rough shaping I use 220 grit sanding screen, sand paper would work also but not nearly as well, paper tends to get gummed up quickly. after getting it shaped then I move up to 320, 400 then finally 600 girt sand paper this leaves the picks smooth but still have a matte finish, going higher the surface will shine up a bit and be more plastic feeling.
here is the pick after sanding with 320.

the handles end up pick width and around 3/8" thick so they fit nicely in any case.

final thoughts
if you need handles for a bunch of picks that are similar in size polymer clay scales are the shit! :hbg:

p.s. the king isn't finished still needs a lot of shaping done. just wanted to get this tut finished.

coming soon....

Polymer Pick Handles II: the mold...
Last edited by PickForge on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:27 pm

Re: Polymer Pick Handles

Nice write up (so far, since there is more to come...)

Sculpey III is good stuff for pick handles for sure, although it does seem to be very touchy to the baking being EXACT or it gets very crumbly IME (anyway.) The Sculpey Premo is MUCH more forgiving, as is plain 'ol Original Sculpey. And I don't know if you've tried it or not, but the "Craft Smart" brand of polymer clay at Michael's (and maybe elsewhere, not sure if that is a house brand or not) is quite good as well.

Oh and this is getting stickied...
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

AULockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 am

That pasta roller is a fantastic idea, you could use that with Polymorph for handles as well. I'll be filing that idea away for future reference <thumbs up>.
LDU2U on YT and do unto others before they do unto you
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:41 am

Great idea the pasta roller :)

Since you're just making scales, what's the advantage of making and baking them rather than just getting some plastic sheets and cut them? I'm not criticizing your choice, I'm just wondering.

Cheers :)
<<

PickForge

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:32 pm

femurat wrote:Great idea the pasta roller :)

Since you're just making scales, what's the advantage of making and baking them rather than just getting some plastic sheets and cut them? I'm not criticizing your choice, I'm just wondering.

good question. for a couple of reasons.

1. the clay is soft and cuts really easy with a knife hell you can even use a dull piece of metal like a ruler just to get a gap then snap the pieces apart after baking. this to me is a lot easier then setting up the dremel with cut-off wheel to cut the sheet into strips.
2. it's not set so if you change your mind or slip it's easy as balling the clay back up and running it through the roller again to get a new sheet. if you slip or mess something up after the clay is set that scale is done and gets wasted.
<<

zazoola

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Love orange. Never knew clay was used as pick handles.
So there ye are in the pub,
Completely engulfed in flames,
And yer good wife’s dashing home,
Tae lodge insurance claims.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:55 am

Thanks for the answer PickForge, you make two good points.

What about doubling the width of your pasta roller and inserting the pick inside two soft sheets??? then you could cut the excess on the sides and bake the whole pick!

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:09 am

What wine do you serve with polymer pick pasta? Red? White? Key-anti? :cool:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:02 am

Great stuff... lookin' forward to the ending. And the little details you've included
will certainly help others forgo the headaches you've already been through. Nice!

And a pasta roller! lol.... hoodathunk?! :)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

PickForge

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:20 pm

it's all updated guys.

femurat wrote:Thanks for the answer PickForge, you make two good points.

What about doubling the width of your pasta roller and inserting the pick inside two soft sheets??? then you could cut the excess on the sides and bake the whole pick!

I have tried to do this is the past with picks, but they would never attach well, even cutting slots in the pick didn't seem to help as trying to get the clay to fuse in through the slots it would deform the handle. I do have another idea but it's going to require a mill, make a 2 piece mold out of aluminium around 1/8" deep on each face then press mold the handles on then bake, I'll see if I can get a mold made in the next few weeks to try this out.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:41 pm

you've already tried that? never mind. many pick handles are molded, but I've never seen a pasta rolled pick :)
<<

Alera

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:35 am

What an intuitive idea! And to think I was just going to wrap mine in cordage...
'Go Analog Baby, You're So Post-Modern'
<<

Genolution

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:13 pm

Just before reading this I watched a "How It's Made" episode where they were making candy canes. I wonder If it's possible to work it into long thins strands of different colors, twist them together and fold them on top of each other for a swirl effect. I never worked with this material before but it seems feasible.
<<

1mrchristopher

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 19, 2014 9:26 am

GWiens2001 wrote:What wine do you serve with polymer pick pasta? Red? White? Key-anti? :cool:

Gordon

Groan! I love it!

Return to Home Brew