FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Would this make a good pick?

<<

Jinglesanator

Active Member

Posts: 334

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:21 am

Location: United States

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:39 pm

Would this make a good pick?

I was wondering if this would make a good pick.

IMG_0083.jpg


If it doesn's show up, it's an old file that can go into the lock, and has a potential hole for an electric pick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

m0ose

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 705

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 5:13 am

Location: Western New York

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:34 am

Re: Would this make a good pick?

That would be a good rake if it was filed right and smoothed on the sides. The filing on the sides might catch the side of the keyway and harm the cylinder some if it's not sanded down.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Posts: 2070

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:46 pm

Location: Hell

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:41 am

Re: Would this make a good pick?

It looks like it could be made into a short hook if you took the time to grind very carefully. This looks like some kind of nail file - is that what it is?

The only other issue I would concern myself with would be making a handle for it. As it is, it might be a little bit too thin.

Also, M0ose is right - if you don't remove the filing, you'll scratch the hell out of the keyway and possibly gunk up the inside of the lock with miniscule brass shavings.

Unfortunately, removing the filing may be a little difficult. No doubt this thing has been tempered for stiffness - but I think by the time you grind off all of the filing that thing will have heated up/cooled off so may times that you will distemper the steel.

Plus if I remember from my old high school metal shop days - stainless steel can be a bitch to work with because of it's stiffness.

Woofcat has PYRO1234321's tutorial on YouTube. See below.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQbi_fkdGE[/youtube]
<<

Jinglesanator

Active Member

Posts: 334

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:21 am

Location: United States

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Re: Would this make a good pick?

HallisChalmers wrote:It looks like it could be made into a short hook if you took the time to grind very carefully. This looks like some kind of nail file - is that what it is?


Yeah, it's an old stainless steel nail file i found in my junk drawer. Would a dremel work at all on it?
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

Jinglesanator

Active Member

Posts: 334

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:21 am

Location: United States

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Would this make a good pick?

Jinglesanator wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:It looks like it could be made into a short hook if you took the time to grind very carefully. This looks like some kind of nail file - is that what it is?


Yeah, it's an old stainless steel nail file i found in my junk drawer. Would a dremel work at all on it?


Screw it, I'm gunna use my bday money i saved and buy a grinder, hacksaw blades, and a blowtorch. This is kinda odd but would a hot grill work as a blowtorch? (I'm cheap) :mrgreen:
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

ratyoke

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 284

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 am

Location: I'm in Taiwan now.

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Would this make a good pick?

Jinglesanator wrote:Screw it, I'm gunna use my bday money i saved and buy a grinder, hacksaw blades, and a blowtorch. This is kinda odd but would a hot grill work as a blowtorch? (I'm cheap) :mrgreen:



I don't know where you are at, but I would recommend Harbor Freight for a cheap grinder. Might want to get some files too, to finish shaping and to smooth out the edges after grinding. And get some sandpaper, like 400 grit.
Why do you need a blow torch? Grill may or may not work, depends on what you are doing.

Or how about use your b-day money for a set of picks instead?
<<

ratyoke

User avatar

Contributor
Contributor

Posts: 284

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 am

Location: I'm in Taiwan now.

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Would this make a good pick?

Jinglesanator wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:It looks like it could be made into a short hook if you took the time to grind very carefully. This looks like some kind of nail file - is that what it is?


Yeah, it's an old stainless steel nail file i found in my junk drawer. Would a dremel work at all on it?



yes a dremel would work on it. Use a cut off disc. If you already have a dremel tool you probably don't need a grinder.
<<

Jinglesanator

Active Member

Posts: 334

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:21 am

Location: United States

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:52 pm

Re: Would this make a good pick?

ratyoke wrote:
Jinglesanator wrote:Screw it, I'm gunna use my bday money i saved and buy a grinder, hacksaw blades, and a blowtorch. This is kinda odd but would a hot grill work as a blowtorch? (I'm cheap) :mrgreen:



I don't know where you are at, but I would recommend Harbor Freight for a cheap grinder. Might want to get some files too, to finish shaping and to smooth out the edges after grinding. And get some sandpaper, like 400 grit.
Why do you need a blow torch? Grill may or may not work, depends on what you are doing.

Or how about use your b-day money for a set of picks instead?


I would, but I can't buy stuff off the internet. :(
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

Jinglesanator

Active Member

Posts: 334

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:21 am

Location: United States

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:54 pm

Re: Would this make a good pick?

ratyoke wrote:
Jinglesanator wrote:Screw it, I'm gunna use my bday money i saved and buy a grinder, hacksaw blades, and a blowtorch. This is kinda odd but would a hot grill work as a blowtorch? (I'm cheap) :mrgreen:




In the vid up there it says u need it to safely bend the metal for the tension wrench.
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Posts: 2070

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:46 pm

Location: Hell

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Would this make a good pick?

Go to a hardware store or auto part store and see if they have a pen-type butane torch. They are about $12 to 17 bucks.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=60395
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Posts: 803

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:24 pm

Location: Stockton, CA

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:04 pm

Re: Would this make a good pick?

HallisChalmers wrote:Go to a hardware store or auto part store and see if they have a pen-type butane torch. They are about $12 to 17 bucks

always check out harbor freight for sales on these... they have them for like 7 bucks at most every time they have a sale... and they have a sale just about every month. I remember one time they were like 3 bucks... very cheap but not on quality. i have one that was bought a long time ago and it is still good as new

Return to Home Brew

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot]

Don't forget to visit our sponsors for all of your lockpicking needs!
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Grop
"CA Black" theme designed by stsoftware