FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Would this make a good pick?

<<

Jinglesanator

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:39 am

Would this make a good pick?

I was wondering if this would make a good pick.

IMG_0083.jpg

If it doesn's show up, it's an old file that can go into the lock, and has a potential hole for an electric pick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:34 pm

Re: Would this make a good pick?

That would be a good rake if it was filed right and smoothed on the sides. The filing on the sides might catch the side of the keyway and harm the cylinder some if it's not sanded down.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:41 am

It looks like it could be made into a short hook if you took the time to grind very carefully. This looks like some kind of nail file - is that what it is?

The only other issue I would concern myself with would be making a handle for it. As it is, it might be a little bit too thin.

Also, M0ose is right - if you don't remove the filing, you'll scratch the hell out of the keyway and possibly gunk up the inside of the lock with miniscule brass shavings.

Unfortunately, removing the filing may be a little difficult. No doubt this thing has been tempered for stiffness - but I think by the time you grind off all of the filing that thing will have heated up/cooled off so may times that you will distemper the steel.

Plus if I remember from my old high school metal shop days - stainless steel can be a bitch to work with because of it's stiffness.

Woofcat has PYRO1234321's tutorial on YouTube. See below.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQbi_fkdGE[/youtube]
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:26 am

HallisChalmers wrote:It looks like it could be made into a short hook if you took the time to grind very carefully. This looks like some kind of nail file - is that what it is?

Yeah, it's an old stainless steel nail file i found in my junk drawer. Would a dremel work at all on it?
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:58 am

Jinglesanator wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:It looks like it could be made into a short hook if you took the time to grind very carefully. This looks like some kind of nail file - is that what it is?

Yeah, it's an old stainless steel nail file i found in my junk drawer. Would a dremel work at all on it?

Screw it, I'm gunna use my bday money i saved and buy a grinder, hacksaw blades, and a blowtorch. This is kinda odd but would a hot grill work as a blowtorch? (I'm cheap) :mrgreen:
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:55 am

Jinglesanator wrote:Screw it, I'm gunna use my bday money i saved and buy a grinder, hacksaw blades, and a blowtorch. This is kinda odd but would a hot grill work as a blowtorch? (I'm cheap) :mrgreen:

I don't know where you are at, but I would recommend Harbor Freight for a cheap grinder. Might want to get some files too, to finish shaping and to smooth out the edges after grinding. And get some sandpaper, like 400 grit.
Why do you need a blow torch? Grill may or may not work, depends on what you are doing.

Or how about use your b-day money for a set of picks instead?
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:58 am

Jinglesanator wrote:

yes a dremel would work on it. Use a cut off disc. If you already have a dremel tool you probably don't need a grinder.
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:52 am

ratyoke wrote:
Jinglesanator wrote:Screw it, I'm gunna use my bday money i saved and buy a grinder, hacksaw blades, and a blowtorch. This is kinda odd but would a hot grill work as a blowtorch? (I'm cheap) :mrgreen:

I don't know where you are at, but I would recommend Harbor Freight for a cheap grinder. Might want to get some files too, to finish shaping and to smooth out the edges after grinding. And get some sandpaper, like 400 grit.
Why do you need a blow torch? Grill may or may not work, depends on what you are doing.

Or how about use your b-day money for a set of picks instead?

I would, but I can't buy stuff off the internet. :(
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:54 am

ratyoke wrote:

In the vid up there it says u need it to safely bend the metal for the tension wrench.
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:31 pm

Go to a hardware store or auto part store and see if they have a pen-type butane torch. They are about $12 to 17 bucks.

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=60395
<<

Josh

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:04 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:Go to a hardware store or auto part store and see if they have a pen-type butane torch. They are about $12 to 17 bucks

always check out harbor freight for sales on these... they have them for like 7 bucks at most every time they have a sale... and they have a sale just about every month. I remember one time they were like 3 bucks... very cheap but not on quality. i have one that was bought a long time ago and it is still good as new

Return to Home Brew