FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How to Make a Pen Pick Set: a DIY Tutorial/Guide

<<

jondoe

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 22, 2010 8:26 pm

How to Make a Pen Pick Set: a DIY Tutorial/Guide

I’ve been searching around on this site for quite some time and after learning so much decided it was time for me to make an attempt to give back. I wanted to make a pocket pen pick set. I first searched for some ideas. The most common pen pick is this http://www.lockpickshop.com/SO-212.html. If you keep searching you’ll come across this http://www.hpcworld.com/Picks/p_vips14.htm. If you look deep within the depths of the internet you’ll come across this beauty http://www.electromax.com/lockpicking.html. This final pen pick design is what I based my homebrew on. Here's how to make it:

1. Buy this http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sha ... arker.html. I picked one up at Target for around 10 bucks.

2. Buy an X-acto no.2 knife.

3. Cut the x-acto no.2 knife about 1 inch below the knurling. I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel and it worked pretty well.

4. Make some picks. When making your picks I recommend making the base of the pick in the same shape as the base of the x-acto blade. It makes for a very snug fit and will not move around when picking.

When you have finished making your desired picks and tension wrench/es simply put everything together. Remember, it is all pressure fitted. I recommend closing everything up in this order: 1. Place the x-acto tip firmly into the cap of the pen. 2. Place the picks inside the shaft. 3. Place the end of the x-acto tip (which is now affixed to the cap) into the shaft.
I took some pictures because, well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Hope this helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat May 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: How to Make a Pen Pick Set: a DIY Tutorial/Guide

This is a sweet stealth lockpick, but I've seen it somewhere before... your post over at the other site :wink: I couldn't find any stainless sharpies locally though :( Maybe, I'll just order one on my next order on amazon. How is the feedback on it? I really dig the concept though!

I do appreciate that you didn't post it verbatim, so that noone complains about "ripped off content" without looking at who posted it!

Thanks for sharing it here though too!

-Elbow :akimbo:
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun May 23, 2010 2:50 pm

I meant to make this topic sticky last night... I'm surprised no one else has commented on this, as it is a pretty damn novel idea for a pen style lockpick. It's sticky now.

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

<<

jondoe

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 23, 2010 2:54 pm

elbowmacaroni wrote:This is a sweet stealth lockpick, but I've seen it somewhere before... your post over at the other site :wink: I couldn't find any stainless sharpies locally though :( Maybe, I'll just order one on my next order on amazon. How is the feedback on it? I really dig the concept though!

I do appreciate that you didn't post it verbatim, so that noone complains about "ripped off content" without looking at who posted it!

Thanks for sharing it here though too!

-Elbow :akimbo:

Glad you like it. I wanted to make sure folks on keypicking.com could enjoy this as well. Also, the link to the sharpie seems to be broken so here is another one for reference: http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sha ... arker.html
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sun May 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Well, again, thanks for sharing. And, yeah... I've seen it on thier site, but just can't find them in any stores around here. Which, honestly, surprises me, but what ya gonna do? I gotta order me one soon! I really need to make one of these. I'd been chompin' at the bit to make one for a while. Then I blinked, life distracted me, and I completely forgot about it until this post.

<<

Tygart

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 27, 2010 7:12 pm

Sweet looking pick tool, but the question is how is the feedback? I am sure its perfect for a pick to carry with you, but if you were doing a lock out job I think you would want more feeling from the pick!
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 pm

Yes, I also wonder about the feedback, but as it's all metal and pressure fitted with a collet, it should be pretty mechanically sound as far as transmission of feedback, but it would be interesting to hear from experience.

<<

jondoe

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 30, 2010 2:08 am

Feedback is pretty good. I'm no expert so I'm not drawing from a huge pool of experience but compared to a solid piece of steel, it's right up there for energy transfer.
<<

jinmissouri

Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:22 pm

Cool!!!
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:13 pm

The credit for your example idea is an HPC 007 pen pick set. I had one years ago and it was my "Technical Award" from The Locksmith Ledger in the 1980's. My idea was reverse the collet and leave a pick installed, placeing the picks in the top of the pen. This way you only had to remove barrel (lower) and remove the tension tool then start picking.

Return to Home Brew