FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

TOK Tension set proto's

<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:09 pm

TOK Tension set proto's

I made a couple of TOK tension tools today ,first set of "Nifftypicks" made out of 316 stainless steel round section.These have a great spring feel to them and are much more comfortable to use than the Klom set I have.See what you think and drop me some feed back on these, Im only new to this and appreciate any critique.
GB
tension skeleton proto 1.jpg
Proto 1 Finished Set.jpg
Proto 1 Size 1.jpg
Proto 1 Size 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: TOK Tension set proto's

(HAHA) I made mine out of wiper blades. At first glance they kind of look like paper clips.
<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:50 pm

Mike51691 wrote:(HAHA) I made mine out of wiper blades. At first glance they kind of look like paper clips.
Paper clips on steroids :P , this is 1.6 mm, tough stuff.I might not even be able to break them.
GB
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:48 am

They look nice, but do you get enough feedback from the lock? It seems to me that by curling the "tail" back onto itself it would deaden the feedback - yes?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing or putting down the design - but it seems that you could get more feedback with a slightly longer "tail" on the tension wrench.

Do you have a similar TW to Awol's to do a side by side comparison as to what you actually feel?
<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:26 am

Thanks for the feed back:I haven't had a chance to give them a run yet, I have the standard Klom set but would like to get my hands on some of Awols TW's.The advantage I have noticed now is I have a lot more room in the key way which is good for a newbie like me and have much tighter fit.Im kind of too new to judge the feedback side of things but I can feel the pins over setting /setting :D on the 234C45, just cant SPP it yet.Must try it out on some security pins later tonight prolly be able to judge them a little better by this..
GB
<<

GutterClown

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:31 am

Looks decent Nifty. Now make some that work in other profiles :P

Give me a yell if you're looking to rekey that 530 core, the stack height can be an issue if you don't know what you're doing.

It's really good to see people making what I call "locksport" style TW's.
Everything you can commercially buy on the market is designed for us locksmiths, who generally work on locks that are mounted to doors or chucked in a vice, so we're working from infront of the lock.

But when you pick up a lock and start picking it free-hand, your hand is generally behind the cylinder, and the little tweaks that you guys are starting to show off are really good.
<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:51 am

GutterClown wrote:Looks decent Nifty. Now make some that work in other profiles :P

Give me a yell if you're looking to rekey that 530 core, the stack height can be an issue if you don't know what you're doing.

It's really good to see people making what I call "locksport" style TW's.
Everything you can commercially buy on the market is designed for us locksmiths, who generally work on locks that are mounted to doors or chucked in a vice, so we're working from infront of the lock.

But when you pick up a lock and start picking it free-hand, your hand is generally behind the cylinder, and the little tweaks that you guys are starting to show off are really good.
Thanks for the comments, gives me some inspiration.I designed the TW so it was more comfortable in hand as you said "locksport".The 530 core , would be which one ? Different profile ? Call me Pauline "please explain" (LOL) I have to key my old Yale at some stage , unknown type as yet but posted here on the site some where.I may have some original key blanks coming from the USA I hope.Is it ok to PM you?
GB
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:03 pm

I'm seriously considering only static picking for now on when I can. I get some bad hand cramps after holding onto a lock for a few minutes.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:15 pm

Mike51691 wrote:I'm seriously considering only static picking for now on when I can. I get some bad hand cramps after holding onto a lock for a few minutes.

i suggest hand exercisers,the kind that you grip in your fist and squeeze,
and a tennis ball works,too.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:16 pm

those look pretty slick.
interesting variant. :geek:
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

GutterClown

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:04 am

That's a Lockwood 530 core. the bible is so short that they use different size top pins.
Like I said, if you do want to rekey it I can help, but if you don't do that sort of thing, just ignore my comment.
<<

Nifftypicks1

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:28 am

It is a good offer GC, I may take you up on.So do I sent the whole thing or just the core and a key? What do you think of the key biting ? Or is it just my lack of skill. :oops: Be honest.
GB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GutterClown

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Complete guess, looks to be something similar to 24955.
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:55 pm

Yea ill give it a try, anyone else have that problem after holding locks for a few hours a day :?:
awol70 wrote:
Mike51691 wrote:I'm seriously considering only static picking for now on when I can. I get some bad hand cramps after holding onto a lock for a few minutes.

i suggest hand exercisers,the kind that you grip in your fist and squeeze,
and a tennis ball works,too.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Lockpicker's cramp....happens to all of us. Especially if you've been away from it for a week or 10 days...

If you have money to burn go here:
http://www.prohands.net
Next

Return to Home Brew