FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Turbine blade pick

<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:40 am

Turbine blade pick

I am a magpie,and a rat. When I seen these being chucked out by a customer who services turbines, I thought imagine what a super exotic pick you could make with that, and the bragging rights cos its a high tec alloy turbine blade.

Well now Im staring at it, I cant see how it may be re purposed.

Any ideas from pick makers out there.?

<<

indigoalpha6

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Re: Turbine blade pick

since those are largely made from numerous exotic super-alloys, that will likely be an exercise in how to wear down cutting tools and dremels. got a pic of the serial number on the block end?

how about a wolverine style claw?
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:53 pm

TB110820/1 AH555 cant get clear picture as its a bit grimey, but I think thats the serial number. Dont tell me its off a MK3 cortina ghia.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:15 pm

Sure would love to know what grade of steel that metal is...

If it's really hard and you are forced to grind it/EDM/annealed (if that's possible, as I imagine you'd want it -rehardened) then maybe you could make some sort of forcing tool from it? Like the car blades, or for the cheap and nasty disc detainer locks than can be forced around. Maybe even make it into a dimple lock force tool?

If it is not so difficult to machine then a lever lock tensioner would be pretty cool to make from the long piece I reckon.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:50 am

I like the tension tool idea. I will have a go at sawing drilling and grinding it at the weekend.
<<

indigoalpha6

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 am

it's small so i'm thinking compressor blade not intake. give it a spark test on a grinder and see what the colors and shapes of the sparks are. if it's very light for it's size and gives off bright white sparks when ground, then it's likely Ti.
that's a neat score. maybe you can make a plug spinner!
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:42 am

What I know from watching the guys work its a small compresser blade, Its for a turbine used in the offshore industry, either rolls royce or general electric manufacture.

Return to Home Brew