FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

A weird American 5200

<<

TheMadBomber

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:33 pm

A weird American 5200

Not sure if this is the right section it only my 2nd post I think. Anywho I have gotten pretty decent at raking 5200s and am working on my SPPing. I got this one from work (In the Army they are everywhere as ya'll know) and its unique it has a bottom set of pin stacks plus the normal stacks at the top of the keyhole. Its been giving me a bit of a fit trying to pop it. Any other more experienced picker seen this. It looks like any other one I have acquired ascetically aside from "U.S.A." and the Logo is a little older. But I have all types just about from ones that have been cut or keys lost still have never seen one like this. I uploaded some pics but not sure if you can see a couple are comparisons between a normal one.

<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: A weird American 5200

Thats the new style keyway, believe it or not there are no security pins, just a bump stop pin in there, they are a pain in the a to pick but once you get it it's easy.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

WolfSpring

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:05 pm

Wait... what, btw I"m kinda drunk, you flipped it 180 somehow those are the drivers in the bottom! Take your hook and push them all down at the same time and rotate it past the blocker.
http://www.youtube.com/wolfspring

What you call intelligence, I call common sense.
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:35 pm

WolfSpring wrote:Wait... what, btw I"m kinda drunk, you flipped it 180 somehow those are the drivers in the bottom! Take your hook and push them all down at the same time and rotate it past the blocker.

That's what I was thinking. Somehow the plug was rotated too much and the drivers fell into the plug. Flip it back around and push them back up. Otherwise u got urself a wafer lock in an american lock padlock.
<<

TheMadBomber

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:20 pm

mister sour wrote:
WolfSpring wrote:Wait... what, btw I"m kinda drunk, you flipped it 180 somehow those are the drivers in the bottom! Take your hook and push them all down at the same time and rotate it past the blocker.

That's what I was thinking. Somehow the plug was rotated too much and the drivers fell into the plug. Flip it back around and push them back up. Otherwise u got urself a wafer lock in an american lock padlock.

Well its definitely not a wafer lock but it it does have to sets of pins. And I think it more along the lines of what Wolfspring said in his first post. They act like pins just like the top does but they are individual from the corresponding pin at the TOK.
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:09 pm

Unless someone specifically modified that lock for a challenge, then chances are that the plug spun somehow past 180 degrees (which with American locks is known to happen) and the driver pins got forced into the holes in the bottom of the plug. There are no locks in production by American that utilize two sets of pins at top and bottom of the key way. In the picture that bottom of key way pin looks like a standard serrated American driver pin. I would bet anything that if it is an unmodified lock, that Wolfspring is right.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:32 pm

why do people sound astonished that american plugs flip 180... the only reason you cat do it with a key is cause of the trap door on the front...

in fact many stubborn american locks i have to pick backwards and tur the plug 270 to get them to open cause they wont pick the regular way.
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

TheMadBomber

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:40 am

Ya'll are right it got rotated some how now just gotta pick it
<<

mister sour

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:42 am

TheMadBomber wrote:Ya'll are right it got rotated some how now just gotta pick it

Lol. Good shit man. No spp that bad boy.

Return to How To Pick Security Pins