FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help with Kryptonite pad lock spool and serrated

<<

Hypercubitus

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:16 pm

Help with Kryptonite pad lock spool and serrated

I am fairly new to picking and I have a Kryptonite 851226KA padlock that has been getting the best of me. I have been doing fairly well with spool pins and serrated on other locks but this is the first lock that I have encountered with both.
The bottoms pins are :serrated: :serrated: :serrated: :serrated: :serrated: :stdkeypin:

The top pins are :stddriver: :spool: :spool: :spool: :spool: :spool:
I was wondering if someone could inform me on the best way to attack this setup. I know I should most likely keep practicing and building up my skills before moving on to something like this but I hate not knowing how to do something and failing miserably. I assume, maybe incorrectly, that it is a simple matter of very light tension.
Δεν ελπίζω τίποτα. Δε φοβάμαι τίποτα. Είμαι λέφτερος.
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
--Nikos Kazantzakis
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Help with Kryptonite pad lock spool and serrated

I have one of those.. binding order is 654321. Spooled drivers.. didn't detect any serrated keypins... I just picked it out of false set normally with medium tension. What exactly are you having trouble with?
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

regis

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:46 pm

ToK tension helps tons. I like to use a long hook with kryptonite locks because they usually have fairly erratic bitting. Patience too.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:06 am

Just for reference... these are the pins he's talking about:

Hypercubitus, you just have to pick it like a regular spooled lock... the serrations on the keypins are only there to make raking more difficult. Just make sure to go easy on it and don't overset anything. Don't think about the key pins, in terms of spp they may as well just be regular.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 am

lol, i know i make this look really easy... but just follow the binding order, its really tempting to set that :stddriver: , but don't, theres probably a :spool: that binds first allowing you to set more spools without going into false. this same info is found in a lot of threads on here, but the :stddriver: :spool: :spool: :spool: :spool: configuration really confused me when i was first learning.

i suggest also watching this video, it is not the same lock, but the same exact concept applies. JR does a great job explaining:

The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:53 pm

Remember that the order in which your particular pins bind will not be the same as another lock, even if they're the same brand. There seems to be quite a lot of discussion and misunderstanding among the members here about "binding order". Depending on the lock, you will generally need a consistent turning pressure (Most American [brand] locks respond beautifully to very light turning pressure) Yours will be determined by whether or not there is return spring pressure, and how much. The material of the pins will also come into play, as some harder brass alloy and steel pins resist turning pressure and are harder to set.

The order in which your pins will be bound by your holding (turning) pressure will be determined by which pin chambers in the plug are off-set from true center, and by how much.

So, the first moments spent manipulating your pins will be spent exploring to see which pins bind, and in what order. The rest is the act of overcoming false sets from the spools.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Hypercubitus

Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:11 pm

I appreciate everyone's reply and the videos posted.

With this lock I end up trapping one or more of the key pins on the serrations. That is something that I rarely do when practicing with my kwikset and schlage locks. I wouldn't think this should be any different.

I will try TOK tension as soon as I fix my screw up when I put it back together. I damaged a few of the springs.

Thanks again.
Δεν ελπίζω τίποτα. Δε φοβάμαι τίποτα. Είμαι λέφτερος.
I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.
--Nikos Kazantzakis

Return to How To Pick Security Pins