FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Trying to pick Abus 85/30

<<

beingcurious

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Trying to pick Abus 85/30

hi everyone,
im new to this forum and i try to pick locks since 1 week now (woohoo)
i have a few questions about this lock (abus 85/30) and a few general questions about lockpicking.

the abus lock has very long pins that cover almost 2/3 of the cylinder. since the first pin is pretty close to his original position (when set) i dont know how i should pick the pins behind this one because i would press the first pin down as well. not to mention that there is also the tw which block the way.

if you have a random lock with a random number of pins, which pins should be set first? is there a special progression or can you just pick from the first to the last one?

thx guys

edit: sry wrong section, mods pls move this thread
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Trying to pick Abus 85/30

beingcurious wrote:hi everyone,
i have a few questions about this lock (abus 85/30) and a few general questions about lockpicking.

the abus lock has very long pins that cover almost 2/3 of the cylinder. since the first pin is pretty close to his original position (when set) i dont know how i should pick the pins behind this one because i would press the first pin down as well. not to mention that there is also the tw which block the way.

if you have a random lock with a random number of pins, which pins should be set first? is there a special progression or can you just pick from the first to the last one?

thx guys

There is no set in stone procedure that works for every lock - so you have to carefully "read" the feedback from the pins.

I usually start from the front and slowly work my way to the back pins - trying to feel for a "set" from the pin. If that doens't work after a couple of passes, I try working from rear to front - and continue to alternate starting positions - front to back , back to front, middle to rear then front, etc. You get the picture.

If the lock has extreme high-low bitting, then your work is cut out for you. You need to manipulate your tools up, over and around pins to get them to set. You may need to use hooks with different angles to set the pins.

Don't get discouraged. Just keep at it - slow and steady - and let your hands give your brain feedback. You need to train yourself to read those pins like a blind man reads Braille.
<<

uklockpicka

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:45 pm

beingcurious wrote:hi everyone,

thx guys

Try everything HC mentioned in his reply you wont go wrong.

Can I suggest also running the pick from the back with no TW inserted, and get a feel of the pins springiness, do this a couple of times, then use top of the key way tension, and with very light tension repeat pulling the pick from back to front, you will notice 1 or 2 pins feels sticky or stiff, these are called binding pins, and they are the ones that I tend to start from.Push down on 1 of them slowly until you here a click, if there is no security pins in the lock then that click generally means the pin is set. After you have pushed the binding pin down and its set repeat the process until hopefully the lock is open : ) :D :D :D

Also after you have set a pin try pushing down on it if it doesn't move or just moves a little then that's a good indicator that the pin a set

But being a Abus there will be more than likely security pins in there, so you will have to try and identify what they are. Have a look at the ' how to pick security pins' section it will help you alot : )

Hope this helps
PERSAVIERNCE IS THE KEY
<<

Gonewild

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:22 pm

Hallis that is great advice. I used it to open the Master 575. I went from front to back, then back to front and the bastard finally popped.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:37 pm

The back to front method that Hallis described is one that I use often. Also when you are trying to pick a lock, when your hands or fingers get tired, put the lock down, you probably won't get it open after this point just rest, thats what I do and I have alot better luck than I used to.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:57 pm

TOK tension should give you more than enough room to get around difficult biting.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:36 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:The back to front method that Hallis described is one that I use often. Also when you are trying to pick a lock, when your hands or fingers get tired, put the lock down, you probably won't get it open after this point just rest, thats what I do and I have alot better luck than I used to.

When I first started - I'd get so frustrated that I kept hammering at it until my fingers and hands cramped up. Big mistake.

If you are tensed up (obviously you are if your hands cramp up) then like the Kid says - take a break.

In my opinion, you need to have ample flexibility in your hands to feel the feedback from the pins. When you hack on the lock relentlessly, you will not accomplish anything. Just like in any sport, task, or activity you perform – you cannot be successful if you are stressed out and stiffer than a dead homeless guy under an overpass.

You need to remember that you don’t need to be the Master of the Iron Claw to open a lock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:22 am

Hallis, is that l0ckp1cker in that poster! :lol:
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

beingcurious

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:58 am

oh this thread is sooooooo old ....

i picked it quite some time ago. i even made a video which i uploaded a few days ago. picked it 1 day after i started this thread.

video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH5LufqLiSA

Return to How To Pick Security Pins