FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First Impression

<<

ExTxCx

Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Re: First Impression

That's all good stuff. Great work.
<<

g_kinz

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:56 am

great part about being a locksmith is easy access to a key generator i have a switch blitz so i have all the space and depths i need. but i dont impression much i need to practice that skill becuse i know no on in this town does it
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:05 am

The saga continues, I ran out of locks to impression so my local lockie gave me this Master 15 (5 Pin) with a few blanks to make him a key for it. 5 pins was not much different except I really had to watch at which part of the file I was using because I could have easily went over 2 marks if I would have used the thickest part of the file. Wanted to try reading of the pins before impressioning so I picked it and with a sharpie marker, I marked each pin then turned the paper over which yielded a close copy of what the key would look like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:47 pm

WELL... DONE!

Your readings turned out to be quite accurate. And that key looks great!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

g_kinz

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:46 am

You do great work with that file. I can say my keys wont look that good. I have tried on my arcade wafer lock lol
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:08 am

Very good work with drawing out the key. Frequently do the same thing with a lock. Most recently with a Schlage Everest LFIC. Could pick to operating easily, but could not get the seventh pin held at the correct height to remove the core. Ended up doing what you did, then made an operating key. Then transferred the cuts to a control blank.

Very nice results with your impressioning. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:45 am

Awesome! I have to try my hand at impressioning one day soon!
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:32 am

Thanks gents. I have one more which is I guess impressioning but also part of a restoring.

I wanted the end results to come out much better but I only realized at the end that my files were shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:04 am

Taking things to the next steps. This thing was f**king insane. Took me around 3-4 hours to finish and almost with every pass I thought I screwed up. The lock is old so the pins are rounded of leaving no marks at all. I wiggled, bumped and pulled and hardly had any marks. I honestly do not know how this actually worked out but once the lock turned I couldnt hold back from having a little victory dance.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:29 am

Well done!
You mentioned rounded pins...that is standard for Sargent because it reduces wear on the keys.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:38 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Well done!
You mentioned rounded pins...that is standard for Sargent because it reduces wear on the keys.

... and makes Impressioning more difficult.

Congrats on your victory. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:49 pm

Way to stick with it. I know I've had my share of locks that had me doubting the whole way through.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Those are the words I was looking for Oldfast. This is exactly what this lock did to me.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Been busy round the house so at my first free moment I grabbed my tools and went to work. This Elgin was a breeze and the originally long blank fit all the way but wasn't leaving marks. I then remembered Oldfast mentioned cutting down a key blank so it wouldn't interfere with anything inside so I cut the tip down just a pinch. The shorter blank started to mark like no tomorrow. I didn't even need my magnification.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:42 pm

This was the first ever wafer impressioning I have ever done. Going in I thought it would be a breeze especially since everyone says wafers are much easier to impression. I have to say I had a different experience and this lock gave me a run. The cuts weren't going according to the decoded drawing so I was thinking I messed something up. Take a look at the difference in pin 1 from the key to the drawing. This isn't the first time I had this feeling while impressioning so I continued and was shocked to see the plug turn. I mean shocked to the point that I first thought "of shit, I snapped the blank" lol. This little 5 wafer lock added to the knowledge and dealing with wafers in general so I am happy I tried it.
PreviousNext

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning