FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Dutch Open Impressioning Championship 2014 - Winner

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:43 pm

Dutch Open Impressioning Championship 2014 - Winner

Here's a vid I did at LockCon 2014 of Manfred Bölker impressioning one of the finalist's locks to win the Toool Dutch Open Impressioning Championship 2014.

Manfred impressioned all 6 of the final round locks (the only finalist to do so), with one opened in 3m 54s. He also had the quickest time in the qualifier's round.

For the finals, 6 finalists had 6 locks to open (with a 15 minute limit on each lock) that went round in rotation. The finalist with the fastest total time on all 6 locks was the winner.

Manfred is consistently a finalist or a winner of impressioning and lock picking championships, as well as a very nice guy to be around. He was more than happy to let me film him to show it.

I thought it could be useful to see the work method of a real pro.

Enjoy

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: Dutch Open Impressioning Championship 2014 - Winner

Very nice !!!!!
Steve
<<

Revinous

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:09 pm

Awesome video and a great treat to watch a pro. What type of key and lock were those that he was working with?
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Revinous wrote:Awesome video and a great treat to watch a pro. What type of key and lock were those that he was working with?

I think it was an Abus E83 cylinder

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:19 pm

Damn, it all looks so easy - simple even. Turn, turn, spot the mark, file it down - repeat. Et voilà - open!

However, my one experience with impressioning went more like: turn, turn, search for mark, more searching, more looking, what's a mark anyway, file something that looked like mark - repeat. Two hours later and I created 'Frankenkey' + no opening. :(

But, now I am inspired to try again. My choice of first lock to attempt impressioning might not have been the easiest - an old Master Lock Padlock No.19 - six pins and nickel plated key blanks.

Thanks for sharing,
Sean
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Hey, thanks for posting that! I really enjoyed watching.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jfw

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:17 pm

Very impressive! Thanks for posting that.
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm confused. Since when can you clamp vice grips on the cam? They should set it up as if it was on a real door to prevent that kind of cheating. Yes, I said it, cheating. Let's be honest, it allows you to apply more rotational binding force than the key could ever allow without breaking.

I know I'm not competing, but being able to apply enough rotation to get marks quickly without breaking the key is a skill!! And it should be a part of the competition!
<<

jimylongs

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:52 pm

WOW! That was incredible, loved it!
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:34 am

Farmerfreak wrote:I'm confused. Since when can you clamp vice grips on the cam? They should set it up as if it was on a real door to prevent that kind of cheating. Yes, I said it, cheating. Let's be honest, it allows you to apply more rotational binding force than the key could ever allow without breaking.

I know I'm not competing, but being able to apply enough rotation to get marks quickly without breaking the key is a skill!! And it should be a part of the competition!

Yep, I know what you mean about tensioning the cam with those mole grips. It was the first time it was known to be done by a competitor, and it generated quite some discussion on if it should be allowed for future competitions. I didn't hear anyone go so far as saying it was "cheating" as it was done in full view of the judges. It was allowed this time because the judges were walking around watching everything, but they didn't pull him up on it or question it during the rounds themselves. We'll have to see if it's disallowed for future competitions.

People have been cool with restricting the cam with the thumb before, so I guess Manfred took it one step further.

MrAnybody's Locks

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning