FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

An Introduction to Impressioning Pin Tumblers ~ Tutorial

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:32 am

An Introduction to Impressioning Pin Tumblers ~ Tutorial

Hopefully this 2 part vid is useful to guys with a wish to get into impressioning pin tumblers, as well as anyone else who fancies handing over their soul to another complete addiction.

There's so much more I could have included, as well as bits I'd missed, but it'll do for a start. It's just an introduction for someone who wants to have a go, and who already has an understanding of points such as what a shearline is or how binding pins work.

I'm definitely no expert on this, so if anyone has any of their own additions or alternatives, that would be very cool to help anyone get going. What you see here is just my own spin on impressioning.

Enjoy, enjoy :hbg:

Introduction to Impressioning ~ Part 1

Introduction to Impressioning ~ Part 2

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:46 am

Re: An Introduction to Impressioning Pin Tumblers ~ Tutorial

Very nice job! I am still learning this method and got a lot out of this. It was very helpful to be able to see the marks so well.
Keep up the good work and thanks again for sharing....
Steve
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:19 am

Spot on!
Clear, Complete.
Nice camera work.
My vote for a Sticky.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:52 am

Many thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:22 am

jharveee wrote:Spot on!
Clear, Complete.
Nice camera work.
My vote for a Sticky.

I second that :) great work MrA :salute:
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:03 pm

Fantastic!

You explain all the basics, without confusing matters with too many non-essential matters.
Certainly worthy of a sticky, in my opinion, this shouldn't end up buried.

...Mark
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:57 am

One quick comment. Every up & down movement beyond the 1st one in each axis is a waste of time.

Think about it, pins are under tension, you bump up - what happens ?? The pins are pushed up marking the key in the process and then they stay up

The sequence should be this :

Apply rotational torque.
Bump 'up'
Release and then reapply torque.
Bump 'down'

Change rotational direction (IF the lock will open that way - think padlocks !!)

Repeat.

Anything after one bump in any direction after tension is a total waste of time IME.

I will add, I did not watch beyond the 1st few mins of the second vid, so if you mention this ..........
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:45 pm

One thing that is hard for me to reconcile is that pippen file now costs $70+
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:25 am

jones wrote:One thing that is hard for me to reconcile is that pippen file now costs $70+

Indeed, they are outrageous prices. A 4 cut round file will also do a perfect job, and it's a lot cheaper.

MrAnybody's Locks

<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Just did my first key and it took 1 blank to do it :D
Watching the videos helped pull everything together, all I used was a small round file and a c-clamp, and a Bastard mill file to prep my blank.

(Space saved for when I have time to upload the pic of my "new" key)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:22 pm

MrA - great job on the videos. Finally got the time to watch them. Have been holding off until I had the time to see them in their entirety.

AW - bet you had a real rush when that key turned in the lock, eh? :mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:30 pm

I am sure you know the feeling GW, it was a 4pin master lock I needed a new key for. apparently here it would cost $10 to cut a key from code (even if you give them the biting) or $2.00 to copy a key.
Since the key was broken I had to make it first (well I made 2... Steel blanks suck to file homemade keys with. back to the locksmith in the am with my key to make 4 more and get more M1 Blanks :) )
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:00 pm

MrAnybody wrote:.....so if anyone has any of their own additions or alternatives, that would be very cool to help anyone get going.

Well I tried... but every time I took note of somethin' I could add... you touched on it a minute later. lol

Fantastic job MrA! I vote sticky as well. This should be at the top - easy to find for anyone starting out.
You covered the concepts, basics, and techniques very well. Simplistic and thorough. I too find it quite
enjoyable... & your vids I'm sure will help others get into this facet of the hobby. Thanks for your effort!

This post here brought about some good tips & tricks from other members.

I'd also like to post a link to my ongoing journey with impressioning here...
only because SO many people gave me a TON of good tips and advice
along the way that might help others. You'll just have to sift through
the 15 or so pages to find it though. lol

One such piece of advice was given to me by Matt (mdc5150).
So simple and effective... yet it had never even occurred to me!
By clamping your lock horizontally rather than vertically, very little
to no movement of the lock occurs and better marks are produced.

VERSUS
Another advantage to this is that you're far less likely to damage the lock.
Like with this old Yale. When clamped vertically you can see we're applying
LOTS of pressure on either side of the cylinder where the lock body is thinnest.

In regards to files. For just starting out I'd recommend a #4 cut round (rat tail) file.
If for no other reason - it's 1/3 the cost of a pippen. Hard to justify spending $70
on something you don't know if you'll be any good at or possibly not even enjoy.

Beyond the cost though; a round/rat tail file is not only easier for a beginner to handle,
but thoroughly maintains it's value in the hands of a more experienced user. Any drifting
is corrected almost effortlessly. The slightly broader/flatter cuts produced seems to accept
marks better. In general, I feel the shape of this file is just more forgiving than a pippen file.

After you find you enjoy impressioning, I'd say it's definitely worth the $ for a pippen!
A tremendously versatile file - magical in the right hands. But don't expect miracles
immediately though. You might have a knack for it... but I found it to be a bit tricky,
almost awkward at first. In fact I STILL don't feel like I handle my pippen in a way
that sources it's true potential. Just like with lock picking, it takes time & practice.

With summer over I'm gearing up for another 'lock-season' over here :)
Great to see ya'll still at it! Posting all the wonderful shit I've come to love & need.
Dunno where I'd be without you all!!! Looking forward to being back around for a while.
Speaking of impressioning - I'd better get back to Sargent Mossbergs padlocks! :whip:
Holy shit he dropped enough on me to stay busy all winter, lol. Damn you Mossman!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:48 pm

Oldfast! I was wondering how you were doing :)
These videos have inspired me to pick up a file and see if I can do anything myself. I've got another box o' locks sitting here.
I found an HPC #4 pippin file for less than 40 bucks so I may order one.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:27 pm

One thing I have found to make impressioning easier for myself is to prep the blank by inserting it into the lock, all the way. Then I grab the key with my #6LN long nose vicegrips as close to the keyhole as I can, without the vice grips touching the keyhole itself as I wish to leave as few marks as I can, while rocking the key+ getting the impression marks. I then use a #4 cut or smooth flat file to shave the top edge of the key to a razor edge, without touching the actual top(where the marks will be) I have learned to leave about 1/16" unfiled, closest to the head of key, it seems to keep the head from tearing off as easily. Now put the lock in your vice, (or, as I often reserve the vice for more difficult locks and simply start with the lock on top of my desk or workbench), & hold the lock down firmly, while you turn the key to the right & bind the pins. Pump your hand down 3 times, turn the key left to bind the pins again and pull the key up 3 times. Turn again to the right and pull up 3 times and turn left and push down 3 times. I know it sounds like a project, but it helps me make the key faster, because I can see the marks more readily. You'll learn in impressioning that often times when you see a large (relatively) deep mark that means you are usually very close to being done filing, so take less metal off when you see it. A shallow mark often indicates to me, that the actual cut may be quite a bit deeper (.030 or more) so when I see this I usually take more off these cuts with my file. Try to always file directly on the mark, making it the center of your cut. Many times when a shallow cut is next to a deep cut the round file will mess up your spacing, as there is a tendency to use more than just the first inch of your round file, which could widen the deep cut so that the material is removed that the shallow pin needs to rest upon, so watch out for over widening, especially on wafer locks.

Impressioning can be every bit as frustrating as anything else, and the feeling of accomplishment is just as great and to me there is always something magical about making a working key, by hand with my files. I sometimes use a 10 or 15 power loupe, or a light, or if you need to work at night, even a black light flashlight and a uv pen. I didn't bother shaving the edge to a razor and it only happened once, on a older 5-pin ford, but is def my pick for night work.

Btw Most wafer locks are much easier to impression, than most pin tumbler locks, you may want to start with a wafer padlock, or cam lock

Either always protect the tip, or don't ever drop that round or pippen file, most long-time lockshops have a small pile of round files with the ends broken off, if they are anything like my shop is. That first inch is also the part that breaks off if someone steps on or drops the file & that is the part that costs all the money (locksmith joke)

I used to buy the 4" #4 cut round files, and my Dad always used his 8" #4 cut round file, but a 6" #4 cut is likely what you'll find when you look expect to pay $20 for a cheap 6" #4 cut up to $30 for a good Grobet file
Next

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning