FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Impressioned my first lock, a Masterlocks #34

<<

Joe Momma

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:54 am

Impressioned my first lock, a Masterlocks #34

I found this old trailer coupler lock (Masterlocks #34) that had no key and I wanted one for it so....

I did lots of internet reading and decided to give it a go.

The lock uses a master M1 blank which is a 4 pin tumbler lock mechanism which most say is best to start with...

My process was slightly modified from the normal way of doing impressioning as I used a set of space & depth keys, a mini-mite 008A duplicator, blue sharpie permanent marker, and magnification.

First I marked the blank with the sharpie to check for bitting "0" and did the bind and wiggle-jiggle etc... to get a mark which all 4 pins did leave.

Then I cut all spaces that had a mark to the next level with the space and depth keys and repeated until the marks were not present.

The first cut to not show a mark was the tip which I then no longer changed the depth on that position, then the next was the 2 center pins and last was the pin nearest the bow. The cuts I ended up with were 5441 when I measured them with a gauge, then I cut my final key for the lock by code (poor mans code cutter space & depth keys and a mini-mite 008A) which didn't look that much different than the first just the ramps were a little better on the final key.

The whole process took me about 20 minutes and I used only 3 blanks, 2 to impression with as I was a little too rough on the first and one more for the final key.

Next I am going to try out a schlage 5-pin to see if it is just as easy but I hope it is not, or I will be changing to many house locks...LOL

Is the schlage SC-1 5-pin any tougher than a master M1 4 pin type of cylinder to impression?

P.S. I have not even attempted to pick any locks yet, no picks yet... I am probably starting out at this bassackwards learning impressioning first LOL...
<<

Vitti

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:07 am

Re: Impressioned my first lock, a Masterlocks #34

I don't think there's anything backwards about learning impressioning before picking. I am MUCH better at impressioning than I am at picking. I have never tried impressioning with that method but I would say that, yes, a Schlage will be harder than the Master. Schlage locks are harder to get good marks on due to their tighter tolerances and less sloppy keyways.

You should try the tradional method sometime, it can be a fair bit faster than 20 minutes. I can impression a Schlage SC-4 6 pin in about 10 minutes. An SC1, KW1, M1, M10, NA14, Y11, etc. usually takes me less than 5 minutes. And it's fun. :)
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Great story thanks for sharing it with us sounds like your on a rolllllllll now :D
<<

Joe Momma

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:42 pm

Using the same method with the space & depth keys plus cutter I was able to impression an SC1 5-pin cylinder.

The Schlage SC1 cylinder was definitely harder than the Master M1 cylinder was, the marks were harder to see at first but with work I got them :)

I will have to get some files and try it the conventional way instead of the method I just used which took me about 40 minutes but did work...

Now I will need to do some research on where to get some supplies like a pippin file etc...

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning