FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

A short cut for pin tumblers.

<<

locksyth

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:35 pm

A short cut for pin tumblers.

I run a Sharpie (permanent marker) down the blade surface. It make it really easy to see marks from the pins. As you file, just keep applying marker. I use this every time. It cuts my impressioning time at least in half.
So far it is not as impressive on auto locks.
LOCKSYTH-Vini,Vidi,Vici!
<<

GutterClown

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: A short cut for pin tumblers.

Bluing, Smoking, Marking are all common impressioning techniques.

Bluing involves using marking blue, commonly found in machinery and sheetmetal working places.

Smoking is applying a thin layer of carbon. Just hold the blank over a flame.

Marking is using a black marker. Try using a whiteboard or permanent to see which works best.

Personally I prefer to just shine the key with a very fine file. Once it's got a uniform shine to it, any marks are easily seen in the light.
<<

Rytanfan93

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:39 am

My favorite was burning candle- soot forms on flat steel lever lock blanks and then filing. First impression tech. The filing shine tech you speak of I used for pin tumbler- then I saw this foil tech. Haven't tried it. Clown, have you done the foil tech for impression work? I was curious about it.
"Release the hounds"
<<

GutterClown

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:10 am

That's the wide-comb cut keyblank with a sliver of foil inserted down the length of the blade, worked into the lock until the pressure of the pins pushes down to bring everything to the sheer line?

Nope, never done it.
<<

locksyth

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:26 pm

I just find that the marker looks the least strange to the client. Candles and foil get odd looks. The shine works well, I just personally like the marker.
LOCKSYTH-Vini,Vidi,Vici!
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:33 pm

i find that using a blue sharpie works best for me..and never liked burning..leaves mess and dirtys up the locks
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:06 pm

I have tried and tried, I can't impression a key to save my ass! Hallis even sent me a impressioning cd, it's a good course, I have yet to try again, maybe when I get some more time
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:30 am

Back in the early '80s someone manufactured a rubberized key blank for autos. I only saw the Ford version, but there may have been others. It was a "wiggle" key of sorts, most likely intended for the repo industry. The idea was similar to the foil method. the key was inserted into the ignition and turning pressure was applied. The pins "found" their own shear line and the car would start without damage to the lock.

For beginner impressionists (hey...that title sounds kinda cool), I recommend starting with wafer locks. The marks are a lot more obvious, as they go across the blank as a line. Begin with a Chicago, Code series "FR", or Corbin Code series "CAT": they both use depths 1, 3, and 5, with 1 being a "no cut" depth (it represents the full width of the blade). You only need to get your marks twice.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:43 am

I have some yale wafer padlocks with no keys, they are nothing special, would these be as easy to impression? They take the Y11 blanks I believe, also a keyway that I don't currently have blanks for, but my place that I buy boxes of blanks from is just down the road!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:17 pm

LPkid you are not alone I have tried 4 times and cant seem to get a key that works.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 pm

.45cal wrote:LPkid you are not alone I have tried 4 times and cant seem to get a key that works.

I have tried more than that, I can't ever,EVER see the marks, it doesn't matter what I do! But I have a new impressioning video, I think I will do better now.
<<

thelockoutguys

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:42 am

Well you didnt mention what you use to see the marks but with out magnification your not gonna get far...Most office supply stores sell the light with the giant magnifying glass in the middle for @ $60 or you can use what most i believe use and its what i use are the optical visors fairly cheap! and a good light overhead..
LT5000--246.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:26 am

I have a set of those like in the picture, I looked at this dvd on this and I am thinking I didn't bind the pins enough to make marks on my blanks, after I get some y11 blanks I am going to impression some locks, even if it does take me 50 keys, I don't care, I want to get it done!
<<

GutterClown

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Many people don't use magnification, some people can't do anything without it. Comes to personal preference, try each and see how you go.

Start with single-sided wafer locks, not pin-tumbler. File the keyblank to a knife-edge, this will let the wafers bite in more noticeably.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:13 pm

You can't see the marks, because the cut of your file is too rough. Are you still trying to use something besides a decent swiss cut file?
Next

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning