FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Is a vise nesessary for impressioning?

<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:15 am

Is a vise nesessary for impressioning?

I've been trying my hand at impressioning for the first time. Things were marking pretty well then all marking stopped. I'm using a key holder but no vise. Will that help?
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:50 am

Re: Is a vise nesessary for impressioning?

It probably will help. But check the shoulder and the spine of the key blank (the edge opposite the bitting cuts) and make sure the blank is not hitting on part of the lock.

Have had to file down the shoulder part way, and/or file a little bit off a part of the key to stop the lock itself from blocking the blank, preventing it from leaving impressioning marks.

Also, make sure your blank is long enough! Several times I have had no marks, and using my pick, determined that I needed a six pin blank instead of a five pin blank.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Shifty1

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:42 pm

U bet! A pippin file oh yea, and lots of practice!!! :nopity:
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:01 am

No it is not "necessary" because you can very well impression by holding the lock in hand BUT and this is a huge but, if you plan to master this skill and do it constantly then yes get a vise. Many times especially with the older lock, you need the lock to be stationary to get that extra umff when wiggling/giggling to get marks. Also, different locks, require different methods to get marks and I cant imagine how you can use the bump method free hand. You can get a vise for $15-20 maybe even less but it will so much better the impressioning experience and make things a lot more easier and more enjoyable. Not to mention you can use the vise to pick locks which is a game changer. Get the vise and believe me you will NOT regret it. If you have a little extra get a panavise or a stanley which I hear great things about. The pana is around $30 and it has many different attachments to suit your needs and most of them can be made out of simply wood not to break your bank.
<<

ratlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:57 am

Yes a vise will help loads

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning