FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Homemade impressioning handle

<<

hawk-lock

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:46 am

Homemade impressioning handle

20150114_105444_resized.jpg
20150114_105451_resized.jpg
20150114_105553_resized.jpg
So I constantly feel like I'm always lurking on this site, soaking up information, and trying to figure out how I can contribute. Well, I might have a quick little hack that some of you impressioners might like. I was browsing one of the the topics and it was talking about making a grip for holding the keys. My brain jumped to a saw handle that I carry in my tool bag that I thought could be easily converted to hold a key. It is in the Stanley Fat Max line and is called a 4 1/2" in Multi Saw. It was designed to hold hacksaw blades or Sawzall blades. Home Depot has them on their website for about $12. I fetched mine and strategically attacked it with a Dremel tool. I think the pictures will speak for themselves. It holds a key quite nicely; however, I have not given it a thorough test. I really haven't given a lot of my time to impressioning. My key picking skills are where I have focused my attention, and most recently I have been soaking up anything I can about safes. Those seem more crucial to my business at this point in time. So, someone give it it a test run and see what you think. If you think it is a piece of crap, you're not going to hurt my feelings. Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:13 am

Re: Homemade impressioning handle

Great to see you out of the shadows. I always felt there are too many good gents in there lol

Great idea on the tool. I too have looked at the same handle and lived it very much. I even took the next step to make it until I realized the inside is plastic held by 2 litle screws so after wiggling and moving all of it may break off or be unsualble so keep that in mind. Maybe put some glue or something to keep the stronger. Mine was a Cobalt handle. Is your STanley mental inside or also plastic?
<<

hawk-lock

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:35 am

The front piece is aluminum. Handle is plastic. Feels pretty sturdy. I used to use it a lot when I was in the plumbing and HVAC business for cutting holes in stuff. I haven't torn it up yet, but I also haven't spent a lot of time poking at a lock with it in its current, modified state.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:17 pm

Hell, ya can't really go wrong for $12 :) Certainly worth a shot.

Funny how we all walk around seeing only through our 'lock specs' :ugeek:
Everything I see makes me go "Hmmm, wonder how I could use that?" lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:44 pm

Hahaha Oldfast my wife thinks Im lock crazy just because of that reason. See a piece of metal or a wire or something and she tells me let it go you have enough metal junk at home cause she knows the mind is thinking how I can us it.

Hawk, under the aluminum is the actual handle which is plastic and its held by those tiny screws. If I was you, I would installer bigger screws and probably 2 more on the other sides to make it held equally by 4. I dont deny the idea is great and cheap plus the inside is made specifically to hold flat metal so it will work great. Hawk check out the handle I made from a screw driver: http://youtu.be/ARThvSb5mLQ
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:31 pm

I own a couple of impressioning tools, but I find I usually wind up using my 6LN vicegrips, most likely due to
having them holstered upon my belt at all times. Your tool looks good and if it works for you that is the most
important criteria You need!
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:26 am

That's a cool hack. Love it. I use the Pro-lok key grip, but I'm sure yours would do just a great a job .....and a damn sight cheaper too. :D

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Here's my handle I made at work. I found the aluminum handle in our junk pile, I don't know what it came off of. I shortened the shank and cut a slot for the key to fit, then drilled and tapped it for the little knurled bolt I found in the junk drawer. It fits my hand nice and works plenty good for me, and the best part was it was FREE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Great tool and love the knurled handle and head on the bolt. You can probably tighten good by hand so no need for an extra wrench to carry. Great sharing.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:36 pm

Very nice Mark. I like it. And how many years has that FREE tool served you? :)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:35 am

I don't remember exactly, but it's been probably at least 10 years. I'm one of those guys who sees something in a junk pile and go's "Shit, they can't throw that away, I can use that. I don't know what for, but I'm sure I'll find a use" :cool:
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Very cool tool. Yer just can't beat a nice bit of homebrew. That's for sure :D

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Very nice! I like the knurling too.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:55 pm

Found me a yellow Stanley handle at the flea market today for $4. It is not the Fat Max brand but looks like the same thing. Can't wait until I can get it fitted to a key and try it out.
Thanks to everyone for all the great tips...this looks like a winner to me.

Steve

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning