FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Anyone use the Sparrows American Bypass Tool?

<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: Anyone use the Sparrows American Bypass Tool?

I forgot to mention that the same tool I have had a problem getting into a keyway which I found very odd because the same tool fit into all of the other american locks I tried. I thought perhaps it was a brand new out of the package lock and the keyway had no ware but that too wasnt the case because I took another brand new american and it fit fine inside letting the bypass work. Any ideas? This finding may also be the reason some of us had problems with this tools. On a side by side comparison I can not tell any different in the keyway. Any ideas?
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:28 pm

I forgot to mention that the same tool I have had a problem getting into a keyway which I found very odd because the same tool fit into all of the other american locks I tried. I thought perhaps it was a brand new out of the package lock and the keyway had no ware but that too wasnt the case because I took another brand new american and it fit fine inside letting the bypass work. Any ideas? This finding may also be the reason some of us had problems with this tools. On a side by side comparison I can not tell any different in the keyway. Any ideas?
<<

aerol

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:31 pm

Oldfast wrote:
He is also in the middle of working on a new line of Dimple Picks using similar tooling. So, with all of this, you even get an exclusive. :)

Not to hijack the thread - but whatever happened to this new line of dimple picks form Peterson? Those I would love to see..

I don't use mine a lot, but when I got my Peterson AD-B, I found that I had about a 50% chance of opening non-key retaining/unwafered Americans with it. Strangely, my newer Americans are bypassed much easier than the ones I have from the 80's and 90's.
<<

ckc123

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:10 pm

you can get the non-slip grit at home depot. you add it to paint to get that gritty feeling for stairs etc..

I have to disagree on one point. the tool has some quality issues that should not have to be "tweeked" by the end user.. I had used one of the same sparrow tools (old version 1) so I knew it was not how I was using the tool. I knew it had to go halfway down, but "out of the box" it would not fit, and it would not fit by force where I knew it had to go..

when you buy a pick, yes you do have to learn how to use it, but you should not have to file it down to fit in the lock is was DESIGNED to fit into.

if the bypass tool did not have any fit issues and the locks never opened you could argue it was a skill issue, but not when it won't even fit in the proper spot.

by understanding how the bypass works, and how it's trying to match up with the cam, you can tweek it to work "easier" we you are trying to get it into the space between the cam and the core (like you, I put a small thinner edge on the side of the flag which is supposed to enter the space between the cam and the core. it makes it "better" but it should at least fit out of the box)

Papa Gleb wrote:CKC show some pic of the finish tools plz.

This tool is just like any tools we use including the average pick. Remember the time you received your first pick... chances are you couldnt open a Master lock at first but with some practice it was a different story. The same applies here so having the tool does not guarantee opened lock, at least at first. I never had the Peterson tool but I do own the Sparrows with the black handle which is their newer model I assume. The tool didnt work at first because it had a hard time getting into the keyway so I had to sand it down a bit and once it fit I thought I was in but no. I had to watch and read more info on the tool until I understood what was happening inside and sanded it some more to make a sharper point. After that the tool worked, still not as easy as you may have seen but you have to understand what the tool does to the cam and this is why Peterson informs us that if the tool will be used on the same lock over and over again the cam will need to be replaced because the hard steel is bashing into the soft brass cam but on the same hand if the cam has already been used, a groove forms perfect for the tool thus the tool will work with easy. This said yes the tool will need more work at a new lock but keep at it and the tool will make a groove slowly which will then allow the tool full entrance in between the cam and actuator. The sparrows tool has a nice thick round handle which feels great but doesnt fit well into the cases so I wanted to flatten it down. I contacted sparrows who informed that its all one solid piece of metal which can be ground down. I still plan to do so but the reason I stopped is because I dont want to lose the grip coating that is on the tool so I am still deciding. PS I have a can of plasti-dip which is great but the coat it leaves is so sticky just by the nature of the rubber that its hard to fit into anything either. The can states that if you want a thicker coat to add non-slip grit. Does anyone know what that is? I googled with on luck, checked my local stores with no luck.

Typed this all to fast so forgive any grammatical errors etc.
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:29 am

I had a similar experience with the Sparrows American bypass... I had to file and shape it a LOT before it would finally fit right and engage, and by the time I got it fitting and slotting into place, I had apparently weakened it (or it was too soft from the factory, I dunno) and now the end just twists around when I try to turn it. I had to shorten the flag to get it into the keyway at all, and then "sharpen" the tip down so it could slip into the gap between the cam and the actuator... it was far too thick to get in there.
They offered to replace it for free if I sent it back to them, but the post office wanted $15 to ship it back to Canada and the thing only costs $10, so cheaper for me to just order a new one next time I get stuff from them. They said "we're pretty sure we know what happened" so I assume there was some temporary manufacturing glitch they've now got worked out, which is maybe what resulted in the twisting, but they were never any more descriptive than that.

I also got the Abus bypass at the same time, and tho it also took a little smoothing and shaping (the amount of work I would actually expect - seems nobody ever finishes locksmith tools), it now works very well. It was the right size, just needed to be tapered to a point so it'd slip in better and polished smooth. It's handy, but I wouldn't call it a "critical" tool unless you're opening Abus 72's all the time. I haven't found anything else it works on (yet).
<<

NovaPick

Post Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:59 am

I was sad to see the Sparrows model is made in China now. May have something to do with the quality control.

I own 3 American Gov model locks, all the same, s there a way of finding out from the code on the back as to if they have they wafer shield? That is, without asking the company everytime I get one.
<<

just1pick+open

Post Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:05 pm

From what i know the code on American locks is a manufacture date code.
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

NovaPick

Post Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:31 pm

just1pick+open wrote:From what i know the code on American locks is a manufacture date code.

Thanks for that! All 3 of my 5200 Gov locks are from 2019 and the AL guide I used is from 2010 and mentioned the anti-shim wafer so the tool would only work on locks at least 12 years old.
Anyone know the exact date the wafer was introduced?

I did manage to pick one open on my second try, then failed after that. lol Think most of us have been there when beginning.

Alaphablue wrote:The bypass is handy for the times when you run across one that it will work in .

I find that is the case with most tools, there are no one tool to rule them all. Picks are most universal until they come out with wards and discs, lol.
Previous

Return to Bypassing