FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Anyone use the Sparrows American Bypass Tool?

<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 am

Anyone use the Sparrows American Bypass Tool?

I have run this thing up into over a half dozen American non-key retaining and non-security wafer padlocks with absolutely ZERO results. I loathe destroying tools so I have been easy on it and out of frustration, I got a bit rougher, still, nothing. I mean, not Jack Shit from this thing. I'm pretty frustrated. The best thing I can say about it is, it's a tough piece of steel because it looks the same as when I received it but I can tell you I'm pretty pissed off with it. I have eased this thing in by the half millimeter, turn, half mil, turn, half mil, turn, totally bottomed out, wag it to see if it can go in further, then do the same going out and just...fucking...nothing. I E-mailed Sparrows to see if there is some decoder ring shit going on and was directed to an online video. Yeah, I know that exists, that's why I bought the fucking thing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ~ Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law of Prediction
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:00 am

Re: Anyone use the Sparrows American Bypass Tool?

They take some getting used to what locks are you bypassing 700,1100 ?
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:09 am

1100, 1105, 5100, 5200, I even stuck it in a 600 and a few others, nothing. I was just going through a pile of locks and I finally did get it to work on a Guard Dog Brand ripoff of an American 600 or 700 Series. And did it three times in a row, but when it comes to Americans, nothing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." ~ Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law of Prediction
<<

Alaphablue

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:17 am

When you get the tool in you should feel a slight give and it goes deeper then in gauges the cam . You need to get it in place and push down and wiggle it . 1 . Do you know for sure that there are no wafers ?
2 . Buff up that tool tip so it's slick and then oil it might help
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:21 am

Yeah, the ones I am trying to bypass, I dropped the core out just to make sure before I even tried the tool in them. I know it is not supposed to work on key retaining Americans, either.

I get to the spot you're talking about and nothing.

I guess I should have just stuck with a Peterson. :::shrug:::
<<

Alaphablue

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:21 am

If you could post a pic of your tool I can tell you if it's mis shaped or off I have sparrows and petersons. And have
Homemade ones . I had difficulty at first when i got mine so don't think it's a isolated incident .
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:31 am

<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:36 am

I feel like a fool. I know in most cases, "Price buyers are twice buyers" but I figured I would catch a break. I guess I didn't. Oh well, Ken Persson laughed at me, so I got a bonus gift!
<<

Alaphablue

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:40 am

That tool looks good I think you just need more time to get used to it keep trying it on a 1100 padlock till you get it .
Keep the flag tight to the right hand side of the keyway . I have taken apart some locks I have bypassed and the tool some times needs To scrape the sharp brass edge on the cylinder end to work . It's not the tool you just need to practice with it .
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:46 am

No man, I've tried everything with this piece of shit and it just doesn't work with Americans. The fact it popped the American clone tells me I'm doing it right and this thing is just too large to fit the tolerances in the higher security Americans. I just got a bum tool. Doesn't mean they're all bum tools but I'm fairly fucked off about it.
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:50 am

Let me clarify my last statement. This thing has been bottomed out and then wiggled, jiggled and coerced. I have put my thumb tip against the body of the lock to wag it right and left going in and out as I said before, by the half millimeter or so. I mean, I don't know what else I have to do with this thing besides pray to pagan gods and sacrifice someone. The first thing I did the other day when I got it was drop the core on a couple Americans to see for myself how they exit the plug. This thing is apparently just too large or just slightly misshapen enough to prevent it from correctly entering that space to operate.
<<

Alaphablue

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:03 pm

Get a Peterson or practice till you can pick them , once learned to pick them my bypass tools became obsolete . Once you have another tool that works you can shape the non working one with a file to make it fit .
<<

DR2

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I wanted the ability for emergencies and lock-outs. Handier and lighter than bolt cutters and other nonsense. As for picking serrated pins that is totally viable in a setting where you have that lock in your hand or in a vise but I remain unconvinced that under a vast array of lock conditions, damage, lack of maintenance and weather conditions and hand positions that it is possible to pick them in the field reliably. YouTube is one thing. And I have picked in the field and I have had Masters give me a total shit fit just because it was cold outside and the hand position because of the gate closure and shackle was demented. So, that is where Bypass Tools really are valuable.
<<

Alaphablue

Post Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:30 pm

The bypass is handy for the times when you run across one that it will work in .
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 pm

Any new word on this DR2? I have both Sparrows' & Petersons'
bypass tool. Admittedly, I've not used either of them a whole
shitload of times. I do have some thoughts on each though, but...

I'm curious... how many locks in total do you think you've tried now?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
Next

Return to Bypassing