FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

old razor new look

<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:50 pm

old razor new look

This razor did have red acrylic scales and was fairly rusty when i got it but after about 6 hours of sanding 2 to make the new scales( ghost jade g10) and some time adding the thumb jimps + decorative cuts it came out pretty good even shaved with it a time or two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

TheAdvancedNoob

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: old razor new look

All the time sanding and finishing paid off because it looks great. :drool: I might need to get some of that G10 and find something to put it on haha.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:19 pm

What a cool, old razor. Always feels nice to bring a neglected tool back to life.
<<

Neilau

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Great to see.

I still use a cut throat razor. I like the whole ritual.

When I was a young lad I got the local barber to show me how to hold, use, strop and maintain one.

Every time I use it I still remember his advice “……..very carefully. Remember, one mistake and you have a 4 inch cut on your face”.

There is a funny poem by Banjo Patterson called “The Man from Iron Bark” about a city barber having a bit of fun with a country ”Yokel” and a cut throat razor. Look it up – worth the read. :razz:

Anyway, good to see these old tools being restored and used.

Do you have a strop? Horse hide ones are the best. Also the way you see them stropped on the movies and TV is wrong !!!!

Do not pivot the blade across the strop. Lay the back of the blade on the top of the strop and wipe the blade down the strop with the edge pointing up (i.e. The edge trails the back down the strop).

When you get to the bottom of the strop roll the blade over on the BACK (edge comes back away from the strop towards you) then draw the blade back up the strop. Repeat. With practice you can become quite fast.

DO NOT roll/wipe the edge on the strop when you roll it over. Guaranteed to F&%K the edge.

My two cents.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:14 am

Neilau wrote:DO NOT roll/wipe the edge on the strop when you roll it over. Guaranteed to F&%K the edge.

Indeed.
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:44 pm

I bought one awhile back but have ended up using an electric razor more regularly because I don't have time for the whole routine in the morning. I prefer it though, the surface area of the blade makes for a much quicker shave and I like how shaving lotion/cream gathers at the spine of the blade; if I don't get a spot so well I turn the blade around and smear it back on and shave it over again. One thing an old barber told me when I was looking to buy one is that if you ever drop it and crack the thin blade, it'll ruin it forever. I accordingly use a loop made from fishing line to secure it loosely around my hand to keep it from cracking if it falls out of my slippery hand.
<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Unfortunately i do not have a strop i use a dovo shavet with half a double sided safety razor blade which is nice the blade gets dull just pop in a new one.Maby one day ill get me a good strop and hone and fully dive into the art.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Last time I tried shaving with one of those babies, it looked like I shaved with a weed-wacker. I use an electric razor. Even disposables tear up my skin. But beautiful work, and a very nice razor.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:35 pm

i wont lie mine did to about the first 5 times now i beryl ever nick myself.
<<

Alera

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:31 am

Really good work on restoring that blade! I shave with a Dovo too, actually. It's kind of a rewarding hobby to go along with the curse and blessing of facial hair at a young age.

the picker wrote:Unfortunately i do not have a strop i use a dovo shavet with half a double sided safety razor blade which is nice the blade gets dull just pop in a new one.Maby one day ill get me a good strop and hone and fully dive into the art.

I have a friend that makes his own, and it's actually a pretty simple process. Maybe I could have him film a tutorial for you!

There's also a guy that makes some really cheap razor gear that I bought a handful of times. The stuff is fantastic quality for the price.
http://www.whippeddog.com/
If you email him an inquiry, he will get back to you within a day, sometimes even within hours. Really nice guy.
'Go Analog Baby, You're So Post-Modern'
<<

the picker

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Another one i got from a friend and finally got it finished with new scales in tiger stripe now time to grow the beard and give it a try ^_*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

scudo

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:26 pm

I have one of these although I have never dared use it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolls-Razor-H ... 2c92e5e4c0
<<

DCT

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Nice re-handling jobs!
Do nothing which is of no use. -Miyamoto Musashi
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:31 pm

scudo wrote:I have one of these although I have never dared use it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolls-Razor-H ... 2c92e5e4c0

The Rolls Razor is actually pretty neat.

And damn, I had no idea there were so many straight/DE shavers on the forum. Elbow might just have to make a shaving subforum now :lol:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:10 pm

I haven't used a cutthroat in 20 years. Although after having read this, and having a convo with Riy ,and digging up my old blades I find the urge to get into it again. I just have to find that darn strop!
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
Next

Return to That was a close shave