FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Share your routine

<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:22 pm

Re: Share your routine

femurat wrote:As many of you may guess, I use disposable Gillette blue 2 blades, 2 or 3 times a week. I usually squeeze shaving soap directly from the tube to my face and apply it with my fingers instead of using a brush and a cup.
After that a nice after shave conditioner is needed to reduce my skin irritation.

Cheers :)

You should try a brush. The Semogue boar brushes are a cheap starter brush. You might start to like the routine :P

youluckyfox wrote:@Femurat/Riyame:
I am definitely in favor of a single blade or two track razor. I have not purchased a double edge razor, yet, but plan to. Interesting video on single-blade razors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufG1dPmVo8Q

Mantic59 has a lot of great videos. Just try it :D
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:02 am

youluckyfox, I've seen that video, thanks for the link. My favourite razor was bic black, single blade with a metal bar. Unfortunately it's no longer available here (and I can't find a decent site that sells it online and ships here).

Riyame, I may try a brush. It's not that I don't want to spend the money for one. I like the sink top to be free from unnecessary objects so I try to use the least objects I can. If I try it I'll let you know.

<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:41 am

So I purchased a Rolls Razor on ebay for $10. Anyone else used one of these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w1IxGeVNow
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:33 am

Never used one before but they are neat.

<<

Anarchy_won

Post Mon May 18, 2015 3:09 pm

though I would add a update thanks to Riy :)

new routine new razor :) now it's a DE razor so far I like the Astra Platinum blade's with a proper Brush and Shaving soap (Razorock With green tea)
I now shave 2 -3 times a week and after 2 weeks I have had no razor burn or ingrown hair's and according to the wife the skin on my face has never looked better. :D
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Riyame

Post Mon May 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Anarchy_won wrote:though I would add a update thanks to Riy :)

new routine new razor :) now it's a DE razor so far I like the Astra Platinum blade's with a proper Brush and Shaving soap (Razorock With green tea)
I now shave 2 -3 times a week and after 2 weeks I have had no razor burn or ingrown hair's and according to the wife the skin on my face has never looked better. :D

Another one joins the cult club :D

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:21 am

I needed some blades to try one razor. I bought the only blades available at the mall where I use to shop, a 5 pack of Wilkinson Sword for 2.5 euro. Quite cheap.
I used my usual soap, but used a brush as Riyame suggested. I must admit that the foam is smoother and thinner.
Shaved with extreme care because I didn't want to cut my face. Only got two small nicks that barely made a drop of blood. Not bad for a first time.
The razor is very heavy compared to the ones I'm used to. Despite its weight, it glides and cut like a charme!
After that I used a moisturizing cream that my girlfriend didn't like because it's a bit thick.

I think I like it. Let's see if I continue this way or if I resort back to the old habit.
How many times one can use the same blade? I used the Gillette blue (2 blades) three times before throwing them away.

<<

Riyame

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Awesome stuff femurat. Blade life varies. Most people get 4-7 shaves out of a blade but some crazy people can get 20-50

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:39 pm

lol 4-7 is enough. I guess one doesn't keep track of the side used. I tried but lost it halfway. In the end one side of the blade would be dull and the other side may still be good.

Should I remove the blade to clean it better, before putting the razor away?

Sorry for all these questions, I could just watch a couple videos, but have no time at the moment.

<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:21 pm

I shave with a clipper at #2 every 2 month...
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

Josh66

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:44 pm

I like Blue Bird blades, and Persona.

I've been using a DE for 5 or 6 years - and will never go back.

My routine is basically "shave every Saturday morning", lol.

My beard doesn't grow fast enough to warrant shaving every day, and my job doesn't require that I be clean shaven all the time.
<<

Riyame

Post Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:53 pm

femurat wrote:lol 4-7 is enough. I guess one doesn't keep track of the side used. I tried but lost it halfway. In the end one side of the blade would be dull and the other side may still be good.

Should I remove the blade to clean it better, before putting the razor away?

Sorry for all these questions, I could just watch a couple videos, but have no time at the moment.

I usually do a few strokes until one side is loaded with lather, then do the same with the other side then rinse. Unless you use one side a ton more than another it won't make any difference if you use one a bit more than another.

Since most blades are stainless steel, there is no reason to remove it from the razor to clean it. I usually just unscrew the razor a turn or 2 and then run it under water if I want to clean it out really good.

Josh66 wrote:I like Blue Bird blades, and Persona.

I've been using a DE for 5 or 6 years - and will never go back.

My routine is basically "shave every Saturday morning", lol.

My beard doesn't grow fast enough to warrant shaving every day, and my job doesn't require that I be clean shaven all the time.

I have to shave every day and a half to 2nd day at the longest.

<<

Josh66

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:28 pm

I usually flip the blade over after each shave (and clean it then if required). I also try to use both sides while shaving to get even wear on the blade - one side for each side of my face is easiest. I used to try alternating which side I used, but it's impossible to keep track of. Some blades are numbered on each corner - if you can actually see the number while it's in the razor head you can go by that if you really wanted to alternate sides.

When I'm traveling I use shave gel instead of a brush and shave soap - it's just more compact and packs easier. You definitely do have to take it apart and clean it with any shave gels or creams I've used. Nothing rinses as clean as shave soap... I doubt you'd have to worry about corrosion or anything, I just don't like all that dried up gel on the inside.

femurat - you should get one of those brush holders. It's not good to store the brush bristles up like that. The holder will allow all of the water to drain out, instead of into the handle. There's a Van der Hagen mug/soap/brush kit that comes with one that Walmart and most grocery stores carry (not sure if it's as easy to find in Italy...). It's good soap, and the brush is pretty decent too. Plus, nice mug.
<<

Riyame

Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:52 pm

Actually, if you properly dry brush before putting it on a shelf/counter etc in open air, it does not matter if it is bristles up or down. Capillary action draws the water from down below as the tips dry. Now if the brush is soaking wet, then it makes a difference.

On the Badger & Blade forum they have done tests about it. They used a brush, then flicked it out a certain amount of times then weighed it. Then they let it dry a bit and kept weighing it every few hours. The results were almost exactly the same when it was on the base of the handle and when it was in a stand.

I personally flick the water out of mine and gently rub it against a towel to absorb most of the water and then set it on my shelf.

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:37 am

I rinse and shake well the brush to eliminate most of the water. Then I left it on the sink to dry and usually in the evening it's ready to go in its drawer.
Was thinking to get one with its plate and holder, but I'm waiting to see if this new "hobby" lasts.

PreviousNext

Return to That was a close shave