FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Factory lubed with WD-40

<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Factory lubed with WD-40

I was watching a YouTube video and the person showed the letter from Commando lock saying that "They are lubricated at the factory with WD-40." We all know that it is not good for locks so I sent Patrick Smith (the President of Commando Lock I believe) an email about it. He replied to me:

"Lastly, I agree about WD-40 vs graphite. I haven't yet found a good method of delivering and metering in volume and I'm willing to do it the right way even if it's inefficient in the factory. The reason why we switched from our other lubricant was to temporarily relieve ourselves of the smell and residue left on the locks. We agree there is room for immediate improvement there. Do you have a brand to recommend? We are a regular factory with tool making capabilities and a production stamping and assembly facility. Commando is definitely not just a marketing arm or distributor. The things we learn now from the experts in the field will be put into our new products, so don't think this is the best it's going to get."

I told him I would post this and ask what we think would be a better solution. WD-40, graphite, some brand of dry film lubricant, there are many. And what would be a good delivery point/system?

There is the possibility of dunking cylinders/lock assemblies in a tank of lubricant during assembly, spraying/spritzing/dripping some via aerosol can/dripper in during assembly or inspection.

What are your guys thoughts?
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: Factory lubed with WD-40

the last batch of Falcon cylinder's i got had some kind of grease in them.

I thought a huge dose of grafite was bad, this shit sucks, it's al over everything now.

can't beleive a lock company would put WD in for lube

but will support their desision (sp sorry )
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:21 pm

WD-40 is principally a Water Displacement formulation, its lubricative properties are incidental to mineral oil being one of its ingredients. If the intention is to prevent and inhibit corrosion then WD-40 is fine but if it is instead to lubricate the moving parts of the padlock then there are better options. The WD-40 company makes a formula that is designed specifically for locks and their micro components: Lock Lubricant; this will lubricate and inhibit corrosion.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:46 pm

Thinking about the matter more broadly I suppose the ideal lock lubricant would meet the following criteria:
-- drying and non-adhesive so as to not leave mess or gather grit via adhesion
-- will not congeal or freeze in low temperatures
-- will not run in high temperatures
-- will not wash off with water
-- appropriate viscosity for small, moving parts of lock
-- inhibits corrosion

In which case the silicone or white lithium based lubricants would be suitable, but the specific formulation would be of a viscosity that is suitable for small moving parts, namely pins and spings.

I have nothing to offer in terms of methods of industrial scale application of a lubricant and in any event the economic and ergonomic conbsiderations are just as important as the chemical (eg. cost of labour, cost of lubricant, wastage, OH&S) and would need to be balanced by the production manager.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:22 pm

PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Altashot

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:03 pm

I had a can of lock saver. I used it only a few times, where I used to work, to free up a cylinder and to lube a few Dorex knobs.
I never used it as permanent lube in any cylinders. I believe in graphite and use it in every cylinder and nothing else.
IIRC it a good lube and it smells good, kinda sweet, kinda vanilla and almonds. Many customers commented on the smell too.
Now I use LPS only because it is easier for me to get.
Writing about this made me "smell" it again...
I think I need another can...Maybe I need to go visit some old friends at the old shop...

M.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:08 pm

I regularly use Master Lock Lubricant with PTFE and I know ASSA's spray also has PTFE. The thing I like about the Master Lock formula is that it cleans a lock really well at the same time as it lubricates. If the lock saver does the same thing I would recommend that.
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:32 pm

I have Lock Saver in syringe form. I just applied some to a key. I find the smell neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It works really well as a lubricant but the problem with it is that it doesn't dry completely and you are left with a wet greasy residue.
<<

Josh66

Post Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:25 pm

The stuff I use is a dry moly powder - http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/ ... &type=PROD

It does work well, but it would wash off in water and I don't think it has anything in it to inhibit corrosion. It's kind of like graphite, but better...

I don't think it would be too hard to apply during assembly, but I also think there are probably better lube options. I mainly use it besauce I already have a bunch of it.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:39 am

Riyame wrote:Anybody ever try this stuff?
http://www.lock-saver.com/

I'm a big fan of Lock Saver, been using it for at least 5 years. Expensive at $12 per can of the size I buy, but works very well.

Squelchtone
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:41 am

This is what i use, i think it's great. You can also get a food grade formula.

http://www.inox-mx3.com/product_detail.php?productID=10&pageID=OVERVIEW
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:58 am

I use LPS1.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:32 am

I am afraid that I have to say it again but for me still Tunap MP101 and MP102 is the best oil and grease you can get on the market. It is expensive and sadly few people know it but as soon as you have tried it once you will never return to any other product. And it smells really good too :)

If one of you guys is ever going visit Germany give me a call and I'll get you one of those two for free. If Commando Lock wants to try out Tunap and can not get it in the USA (but it should be available there) I'd be happy to provide them with the MP101 and MP102 for free.

Here my video again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeZK3rF8mQ
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:29 am

I use Lock Saver in all my locks (But I use Mil-comm products for alot of things)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:16 am

I came across this last year and have used it a couple of times to clean out old grungy padlocks. Seems to work OK but can't comment on how it will affect the lock in the long run (gumming up etc).

Made by the WD-40 company. called 3-in one professional Lock Lubricant - penetrates, cleans and protects.

http://www.wd40.com.au/3-in-1_products.

Half way down page.

It does not say what is in it but does say "No Silicone, No Grease".

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
Next

Return to Commando Lock Company